Adventist Online

Why seventh day Adventist church leading prophet Ellen G. White say drinking coffee and tea is a sin?

I think Ellen G. White is biblically and scientifically wrong

What do you think?

"Tea and coffee drinking is a sin, an injurious indulgence, which like other evils, injures the soul." (Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 425, written in 1896).

A. Ellen G. White is biblically wrong

1. 1 Timothy 4:2-4

“Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving”,

2. Romans 14:17-18,20

17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

3. Matthew 15:11

“What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'" “For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.") Mark 7:19.

4. 1 Corinthians 10:25

“Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience”, “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving”, 1 Timothy 4:4.

5. Romans 14:14Paul says

“As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean”

6. Titus 1:15

“To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted”.

7. Romans 14:23

“But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin”.

B. Ellen G. White is scientifically wrong

Here are 10 amazing scientific health perks (benefits)

Perk #1: Hot Coffee May Fight Superbug Infections.

Compared to people who don’t drink hot coffee or tea, those who do are 50 percent less likely to harbor MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) bacteria in their nose—and may therefore be at significantly lower risk for developing a dangerous superbug infection. MRSA causes 278,000 hospitalizations and more than 6,500 deaths in the US annually.

Perk #2: Coffee Decreases Diabetes Risk.

Researchers at Harvardwho followed more than 125,000 men and women for more than 10 years found that drinking six cups of coffee daily appears to help ward off type 2 diabetes.

In men, a six-or-more cup daily java habit slashed the risk by more than 50 percent compared to men who didn’t drink coffee; among women, sipping six cups daily trimmed risk by nearly 30 percent.

Perk #3: Coffee Combats Gallstones.

Another Harvard studythat tracked more than 46,000 men ages 40 to 75 for 10 years showed that drinking two to three cups of regular coffee (not decaf) daily shrank the risk of gallstonesby 40 percent (and may have similar benefits for women). Coffee seems to stimulate gallbladder contractions and reduce cholesterol in bile that can form gallstones. Other sources of caffeine, including tea and sodas, don’t help.

Perk #4: Coffee Benefits Digestive Health.

A 10-year study in Japan including 96,000 adults found that drinking three or more cups of java per day halved the colon cancer risk in women.

Perk #5: Coffee May Stave Off Stroke.

A Swedish study published in 2011 reported that drinking one or more cups of java daily lowered stroke risk by 22 to 25 percent. More than 34,000 women were followed for slightly more than 10 years.

Perk #6: Coffee Is a Mood-Booster.

A studyby Harvard School of Public Health found a 20 percent lower risk of depression in women who drink coffee regularly compared to women who don’t. More than 50,000 midlife women participated.  And for some, coffee actually seems to be lifesaving: Earlier studies showed that the risk of suicide declines as coffee consumption rises. And a study in Finland found a lower risk of severe depression in men who drank the most coffee.

Perk #7: Coffee Improves Men’s Health.

Guys, here’s a great reason to grab a cup of joe: Another Harvard study published last year followed almost 48,000 men for 20 years and found that the risk of prostate cancer was 20 percent lower in those who drank six or more cups of coffee daily, regular or decaf.

Better yet, those who quaffed the most were 60 percent less likely than nondrinkers to develop a lethal form of prostate cancer. Drinking one to three cups of java reduced the risk of fatal prostate cancer by 30 percent.

9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone

Perk #8: Coffee Cuts Breast Cancer Risk.

A study from Sweden’s prestigious Karolinska Institutet suggests that women who drink five or more cups of coffee per day cut risk of aggressive estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer by 57 percent. Exactly what it is about coffee that works against this particular kind of breast cancer isn’t known.

Perk #9: Coffee Protects Women’s Skin

Yet another study from the Harvard School of Public Health found a 20 percent lower risk of basal cell carcinoma, the most common type of skin cancer, in women who drank more than three cups of regular coffee daily.

Perk #10: Coffee Has An Amazing Potential to Protect Against Alzheimer’s.

Studies in Finland have found that people who drank three to five cups of coffee daily when they were middle-aged had a 60 to 70 percent drop in risk for Alzheimer’s later in life.

A 2011 study at Florida Alzheimer's Disease Research Center is the first to show that caffeinated coffee appears to protect against the memory-robbing disorder in a way not seem with other caffeinated drinks or decaf. The mouse study, publishedin Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, found that caffeinated coffee spurs a rise in blood levels of granulocyte colony stimulating factor (GCSF), a growth factor that’s greatly diminished in Alzheimer’s patients.

The boost is important, since GCSF causes bone marrow stems to enter the brain and remove harmful beta-amyloid protein that triggers Alzheimer’s. GCSF also forges new brain cell connections and boosts levels of new neurons. “Together, these actions appear to give coffee an amazing potential to protect against Alzheimer’s—but only if you drink moderate amounts,” remarked one of the study authors.

Directly taken from

More on YAHOO! Health

Written on 10/14/12

Views: 6319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Kristina

I agree with you but the one who post that topic seems to be against everything

i am gald you are around to support this topic discussions. A big thanks 

@Sabrina

Thanks.. :0)

The reason why some disagree is because most of the time like in this case is because of their source of information.. This guy is quoting for example is quoting Harvard School of Public Health.. What he fails to realize is that most of these studies are most often funded by the people who produce the product, and there fore are biased to make them look good, because if they don't sway it the right way they loose their funding. And sadly many who could not in good conscience keep their mouth shut as to the true results of various studies have lost their funding their jobs, and in the cases of those who continued to protest and make it public even after that endless numbers of great doctors and researchers have been the victim of smear campaigns and shunning of their piers..

While on the contrary if yo go to a naturopathic medical school they will agree with sister White on pretty much everything, because their studies are not funded by the people producing the product so they are not under the same pressure.

As for the validity of an ND v.s. and MD. A ND goes to school for four more years than an MD, because they have to learn their info, plus everything an MD learns.

Also in my personal experience top MD's (and countless numbers of them) had me misdiagnosed for 20 years and eventually in a wheel chair on more medications than are safe for a person to take just to manage the pain.

While in stark contrast a great ND diagnosed the real problem and had me out of the wheel chair and medication free in two weeks, and honestly it wouldn't have even taken her that long if she hadn't had to wait for the results on my blood work..

There is actually a flaw to your logic weknowinjesusbestimeaheadofus.  while you are true that coffee is not mentioned specifically in the Bible that does not automatically mean that it is safe to partake of.  Tobacco, heroine, cocaine, gin, vodka, etc are not mentioned specifically in the Bible either.  Yet no one would dispute that they are harmful and condone the use of them.  By your logic, because they are not mentioned specifically in the Bible we should not be advising people to avoid these thing too.

The Bible states that our bodies "are the temple of the Holy Spirit" 1 Corinthians 6:19.  In the next verse it tells us, " For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

Caffeine, which is in high levels in coffee, has been scientifically proven to be addictive.  Many people in the western world are addicted to this beverage and can't even start their day without a cup.  Do you really think a person is glorifying God in his/her body when they are consuming something that is known to be so addictive?

The Bible also tells us in the 6th Commandment found in Exodus 20:13, "Thou shalt not kill"  and that includes killing ourselves.  By consuming the wrong things we are killing ourselves.  They may not kill us right now but they will in the long run due to the damage being caused to the body.  Many people today are killing themselves on the installment plan so to speak and thereby still breaching the 6th commandment.

David:

Are you alledging that drinking coffee or tea can send a person to the 'lake of fire"?

I am not saying that, but putting things into the body that are not healthy for the body and that are proven to be addictive, and therefore harmful, can put a person into an early grave.  Can you honestly and with a clear conscience, condone the use of a substance that is proven to be addictive?

In Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) circles, a vision that Ellen G. White (EGW) had in 1847 is important to their exaltation of the Sabbath command: (EGW is considered an inspired prophetess among the SDA.)

We felt an unusual spirit of prayer. And as we prayed the Holy Ghost fell upon us. We were very happy. Soon I was lost to earthly things and was wrapped in a vision of God's glory. I saw an angel flying swiftly to me. He quickly carried me from the earth to the Holy City. In the city I saw a temple, which I entered. I passed through a door before I came to the first veil. This veil was raised, and I passed into the holy place. Here I saw the altar of incense, the candlestick with seven lamps, and the table on which was the shewbread. After viewing the glory of the holy, Jesus raised the second veil and I passed into the holy of holies.
In the holiest I saw an ark; on the top and sides of it was purest gold. On each end of the ark was a lovely cherub, with its wings spread out over it. Their faces were turned toward each other, and they looked downward. Between the angels was a golden censer. Above the ark, where the angels stood, was an exceeding bright glory, that appeared like a throne where God dwelt. Jesus stood by the ark, and as the saints' prayers came up to Him, the incense in the censer would smoke, and He would offer up their prayers with the smoke of the incense to His Father. In the ark was the golden pot of manna, Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of stone which folded together like a book. Jesus opened them, and I saw the ten commandments written on them with the finger of God. On one table were four, and on the other six. The four on the first table shone brighter than the other six. But the fourth, the Sabbath commandment, shone above them all; for the Sabbath was set apart to be kept in honor of God's holy name. The holy Sabbath looked glorious -- a halo of glory was all around it. I saw that the Sabbath commandment was not nailed to the cross. If it was, the other nine commandments were; and we are at liberty to break them all, as well as to break the fourth. I saw that God had not changed the Sabbath, for He never changes. But the pope had changed it from the seventh to the first day of the week; for he was to change times and laws ....
I saw that the holy Sabbath is, and will be, the separating wall between the true Israel of God and unbelievers;and that the Sabbath is the great question to unite the hearts of God's dear, waiting saints (Early Writings, 1963, pp. 32,33).

The summary meaning of this EGW vision is stated as follows:

In this revelation, Mrs. White was carried down to the close of time and saw the Sabbath as the great testing truth on which men decide whether to serve God or to serve an apostate power (Early Writings, pp. XXI, XXII).
IF YOU SINCERELY BELIEVE : sister White is Biblical wrong. then I don't think you should be an sda or on this site. because you are hurting us and making us lose our precious time.
Why don't you go to the islamic site and tells the muslims the quran is false. you will be nicely served. Thanks for your kind attention. stop roaming around. 

enjoyed the discussion!! i think  weknowinjesusbestimeaheadofus has brought in good verses from the bible regarding the scope of eating in our lives. i think scriptures does not ask us to refrain from any particular type of food. so if we drink coffee or tea we are not under any sin.now talking about the health pros and cons of the particular food item  can be better explained by scientific research or  our body's reaction to the food material itself. And even some Adventists say that it is wrong to eat non vegetarian food(which has no biblical evidence) .. i think we should understand the scripture because now there is wide spread emergence  of an alternative culture in Adventist church which highlights different way of life which or not based on scriptures and they  call it as the PRESENT TRUTH . but i believe JESUS is the only way , the  truth and the life..but if anyone  does not want to eat or drink  any thing we need to respect that but please  dont accuse or judge others based on your human thinking. God bless you all...

@ Jake

Thanks and God bless you too. SAb

The Bible, which was inspired by the Holy Spirit (who is part of the Godhead), does have guidelines about what we should and should not eat (Read Leviticus Chapter 11 for example).  As the Old and New Testaments are inspired by the same Holy Spirit (see 2 Timothy 3:16) and Jesus is part of the same Godhead, what is said in the New Testament (by Jesus and the apostles) if read in proper context and following the rule of Isaiah 28:13, "But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little" it will be found that the Bible from start to finish has a lot to say about health.  Not every single food and drink item is explicitly mentioned but guidelines are given as to what to avoid.  God made our bodies and as the manufacturer He should know what is good and not good for our bodies.  The Bible is in essence an instruction manual for our bodies.  You would follow the manufacturers guidelines if you brought a TV, a lawn mower, a computer, car etc if you wanted to get the optimal use of the product the same principle applies to our bodies.  If we want to get the optimal performance out of our bodies we should follow the manufacturer's guideline or we have no reason to complain if we develop health problem because we have not done what God has told us just as we would have no reason to complain if our car does not perform properly because we put the wrong fuels, oils and fluids in it.

yes, I agree that she is mistaken based on the scripture you have posted.Drinking tea or coffee too much is harmful, anything we do, drink or eat must be in moderate,  we should not criticize others for sinning because they drink tea or coffee,if we do, we are not obeying the Lord, we are obeying Mrs. white.

@ Well Alfredo, it is the same way as you obey to your doctor whenever he visited you when you are ill. Sister White made a preventive approach for us people of this generation. Nowadays, food are being scarce and lot of fast food are being sold. She advises us. By the way coffee and tea is not for drinking, it is being use in dessert making and chocolate. So whoever not drinking coffee are eating too. You can't spare yourself from being ill, All have sinned and All will die, those who drink and those who don't in his own time. What matters is to maintain faith in Jesus.

Hehehe... Its so interesting now. Middle East Coffee, i tried a sip only, and got vomitted. Its too strong lol and the smell... It makes me dizzy especially Turkish coffee. Its so thick...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service