Adventist Online

Why seventh day Adventist church leading prophet Ellen G. White say drinking coffee and tea is a sin?

I think Ellen G. White is biblically and scientifically wrong

What do you think?

"Tea and coffee drinking is a sin, an injurious indulgence, which like other evils, injures the soul." (Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 425, written in 1896).

A. Ellen G. White is biblically wrong

1. 1 Timothy 4:2-4

“Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving”,

2. Romans 14:17-18,20

17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

3. Matthew 15:11

“What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.'" “For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.") Mark 7:19.

4. 1 Corinthians 10:25

“Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience”, “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving”, 1 Timothy 4:4.

5. Romans 14:14Paul says

“As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean”

6. Titus 1:15

“To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted”.

7. Romans 14:23

“But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin”.

B. Ellen G. White is scientifically wrong

Here are 10 amazing scientific health perks (benefits)

Perk #1: Hot Coffee May Fight Superbug Infections.

Compared to people who don’t drink hot coffee or tea, those who do are 50 percent less likely to harbor MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) bacteria in their nose—and may therefore be at significantly lower risk for developing a dangerous superbug infection. MRSA causes 278,000 hospitalizations and more than 6,500 deaths in the US annually.

Perk #2: Coffee Decreases Diabetes Risk.

Researchers at Harvardwho followed more than 125,000 men and women for more than 10 years found that drinking six cups of coffee daily appears to help ward off type 2 diabetes.

In men, a six-or-more cup daily java habit slashed the risk by more than 50 percent compared to men who didn’t drink coffee; among women, sipping six cups daily trimmed risk by nearly 30 percent.

Perk #3: Coffee Combats Gallstones.

Another Harvard studythat tracked more than 46,000 men ages 40 to 75 for 10 years showed that drinking two to three cups of regular coffee (not decaf) daily shrank the risk of gallstonesby 40 percent (and may have similar benefits for women). Coffee seems to stimulate gallbladder contractions and reduce cholesterol in bile that can form gallstones. Other sources of caffeine, including tea and sodas, don’t help.

Perk #4: Coffee Benefits Digestive Health.

A 10-year study in Japan including 96,000 adults found that drinking three or more cups of java per day halved the colon cancer risk in women.

Perk #5: Coffee May Stave Off Stroke.

A Swedish study published in 2011 reported that drinking one or more cups of java daily lowered stroke risk by 22 to 25 percent. More than 34,000 women were followed for slightly more than 10 years.

Perk #6: Coffee Is a Mood-Booster.

A studyby Harvard School of Public Health found a 20 percent lower risk of depression in women who drink coffee regularly compared to women who don’t. More than 50,000 midlife women participated.  And for some, coffee actually seems to be lifesaving: Earlier studies showed that the risk of suicide declines as coffee consumption rises. And a study in Finland found a lower risk of severe depression in men who drank the most coffee.

Perk #7: Coffee Improves Men’s Health.

Guys, here’s a great reason to grab a cup of joe: Another Harvard study published last year followed almost 48,000 men for 20 years and found that the risk of prostate cancer was 20 percent lower in those who drank six or more cups of coffee daily, regular or decaf.

Better yet, those who quaffed the most were 60 percent less likely than nondrinkers to develop a lethal form of prostate cancer. Drinking one to three cups of java reduced the risk of fatal prostate cancer by 30 percent.

9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone

Perk #8: Coffee Cuts Breast Cancer Risk.

A study from Sweden’s prestigious Karolinska Institutet suggests that women who drink five or more cups of coffee per day cut risk of aggressive estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer by 57 percent. Exactly what it is about coffee that works against this particular kind of breast cancer isn’t known.

Perk #9: Coffee Protects Women’s Skin

Yet another study from the Harvard School of Public Health found a 20 percent lower risk of basal cell carcinoma, the most common type of skin cancer, in women who drank more than three cups of regular coffee daily.

Perk #10: Coffee Has An Amazing Potential to Protect Against Alzheimer’s.

Studies in Finland have found that people who drank three to five cups of coffee daily when they were middle-aged had a 60 to 70 percent drop in risk for Alzheimer’s later in life.

A 2011 study at Florida Alzheimer's Disease Research Center is the first to show that caffeinated coffee appears to protect against the memory-robbing disorder in a way not seem with other caffeinated drinks or decaf. The mouse study, publishedin Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, found that caffeinated coffee spurs a rise in blood levels of granulocyte colony stimulating factor (GCSF), a growth factor that’s greatly diminished in Alzheimer’s patients.

The boost is important, since GCSF causes bone marrow stems to enter the brain and remove harmful beta-amyloid protein that triggers Alzheimer’s. GCSF also forges new brain cell connections and boosts levels of new neurons. “Together, these actions appear to give coffee an amazing potential to protect against Alzheimer’s—but only if you drink moderate amounts,” remarked one of the study authors.

Directly taken from

More on YAHOO! Health

Written on 10/14/12

Views: 6323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Dior, then what Sister White advises has been a plus for those who have obeyed so far and those who wanted to make the experience first then obey, so you have been served. Ok Dior believe that has made your day. 

If drinking tea is sin, what commandment does it transgress, since, "sin is the transgression of the law'.

Would you consider it a sin to go in to church and pour garbage all over the pulpit while the pastor is giving his sermon even though there is no commandment against it?

Because your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and when you pour garbage in to it that's pretty much what you are going..

Kristina:

Your example above makes no sense.

The person who is disrespectful of a pastor during a church service, who is also destructive of property, is sinning on multiple levels against the pastor and the members of the church.

There is absolutely no comparison to a person drinking coffee or tea, both of which are part of the vegetation that God gave us to partake of.

Drinking tea or coffee does not fit into the Biblical definition of sin.  One breaks no law by drinking either beverage.

Regarding your statement about putting "garbage" into one's  body, unless you are drinking totally pure water (not the stuff in the plastic bottles) and if you are eating "fast foods" and not eating totally organic fruits and vegetables, with out  herbicides or pesticides, and if you eat meat that is not kosher, butter, sugar, eggs, and other forbidden foods, by the "Health Message", then you too are putting "garbage" into your body, and you are sinning.  So consider whether you need to take the log out of your own eye before you endeavor to take the slinter out of someone elses...

Remember you are judged with the same standard with which you judge someone else.

Unrepented sin, will cause someone to lose their salvation.  Drinking coffee or tea is not sin and does not fit into that category.

"There is absolutely no comparison to a person drinking coffee or tea, both of which are part of the vegetation that God gave us to partake of."

So you think smoking weed is ok for use outside or medicinal as well them? Because it is among those things to. If it hurts your body it is damaging.. You see what I mean?

"Regarding your statement about putting "garbage" into one's  body, unless you are drinking totally pure water (not the stuff in the plastic bottles) and if you are eating "fast foods" and not eating totally organic fruits and vegetables, with out  herbicides or pesticides, and if you eat meat that is not kosher, butter, sugar, eggs, and other forbidden foods, by the "Health Message", then you too are putting "garbage" into your body, and you are sinning."

Which is one of the big reasons I am a vegan living on a whole foods diet, and drink only distilled water and at times Zivia caffeine free soda that doesn't even use sugar but rather stevia extract. I have reaped the benefit of it too. I am healthier now in just having changed my diet a little more than a year ago than I have been in my entire life. I have more energy, my memory is better, I rarely get sick with the exception of bad PMS because I'm more fertile now..etc..

Though to be fair I think like anything else it is only sin to a man if he knows it is wrong.. God judges us by the light we are given, and if we knowingly do something wrong / damaging we are accountable..

A number of narcotics are derived from vegetation too.  Does that that make them ok to use too?

Amen. That was well thought out brother. :0) I wish more people realized that..

IF ELLEN WHITE IS BIBLICALLY AND SCIENTIFICALLY WRONG THEN:

Adventist on line is not the site to come and debate your views and opinions here.

What more do u expect from us here if you yourself is not convince about our faith you can't and convince us about what you have in your mind.

Anything that touches our faith it touching my personal feelings.

We are here to learn and to share. But I notice you are talking the most sensible part of our religious convictions and on our site. You are here to share not to humilate us and then take our own arms to shoot at us!!!!

Proverbs - Proverbs 26, verse 27 today is so true: "If you set a trap for others, you will get caught in it yourself. If you roll a boulder down on others, it will roll back and crush you."  This is a great reminder to "do unto others as you'd have done unto you" - and if you do unto others bad stuff, you'll often fall into your own trap!

Trap

@Sabrina - The pharisees of disgrace are alive and well on this site hammering every coffee drinker, ring wearer, make up wearer while the vultures that breed disunity and contempt in the church through policing the pews, aisles, foyers and pulpits are left free to ply their evil trade.

Unbelievers that will not carry  any cross but only get cross.

Bevan,

What is wrong with rebuking things that are sin that the worldly in our church accepts?  Do we excuse some things because some excuse others?

There is a way to help people to see their sin for the sinfulness that it is and help them to overcome through prayer but to not support it as many want. 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service