Adventist Online

Views: 583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting pic.

Throughout the ages people have developed new ways of thinking concerning what to eat and what not to eat. Some prefer being a vegetarian for health reasons (yet consuming fish is beneficial to the body) some would indulge in fish and meat as they find it beneficial to the functioning of the human body. However, there are those who make it a law unto themselves that consuming meat is wrong and that being a vegetarian is the right way. I have seen this and found it interesting. Nowhere in the bible does it say that eating meat is wrong. However, the overindulgence is. So back to if "Jesus were to give fish and bread today" in light of what I said it would be interesting how it would be received today.

Fish may have omega 3's but it is largely contaminated with mercury.  There's so much mercury that pregnant women are advised not to eat fish.  The oceans now are not pure but filled with pollution, very different than in Christ's day.  You can get omega 3's from many vegetarian sources, such as flax seed, walnuts, and fresh foods such as strawberries, etc. 

I don't judge other people if they want to eat fish, but I'm just saying why I choose not to, and I don't think the fact that Jesus offered fish to the people of Galilee should in any way suggest that we are refusing something Jesus is offering us if we choose not to eat it.

As for gluten-free, I think this is likely another "fad" which attempts to make a vegetarian-source food into something evil.  Whole grains are excellent.  There may be some people who are truly gluten intolerant.  There may also be people who are sensitive to genetically modified grains, who may want to avoid gluten, corn and other foods that are sometimes GMO for that reason.  It doesn't bother me at all to eat whole grains.

God bless! :)

A lot of people are actually becoming gluten intolerant.  In fact there is a potential link to gluten and exacerbating autoimmune diseases.  As far as fish you see in the store, you are right, I would be dubious of them.  A lot of them come from countries with high pollution and no standards.  For my part, I prefer to go out to the lake and harvest them myself.

I'm not going to say you shouldn't do that, but you should be aware that there is mercury in most bodies of water due to air pollution fall out.  How about skiing instead?  LOL

I don't see how, if there are mercury in most water supplies, how people aren't be poisoned just drinking water or taking a shower.  A lake that used to be valley of trees is not a source of mercury.

It has to do with the fish concentrating the mercury in their tissues, and biomagnification because of the food chain (if plankton has a little mercury, the fish eats a lot of plankton and gets a lot of mercury in it's tissues). America has improved standards for reducing air pollution, but there is still increased mercury being found in fish, possibly because we are still effected by other countries such as China, where mercury emissions have doubled.  The are air currents, jet stream, connect the world (you can find dust from the Sahara desert in our air sometimes, etc.);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/ontario-lakes...

There is no plankton in fresh water.

I had to look that one up and on that, you are wrong.  Plankton can be in fresh water.  We just think of it (them?) being in oceans.  See wikipedia or sciencedaily for more info!  Plankton is a rather loose category consisting of plants or animal life so could be just algae or more complex group of organisms drifting together.  Rather than being limited by salt content, the presence of plankton is regulated by the amount of light the water receives.

Are you thinking perhaps of algae?

Why did He give this to them to begin with?  Because it was relative to that time and culture- rural fishing communities.  But it's also interesting that in that same time period He said He was the Good Shepherd and at His death the lamb was set free from being killed.  So people who try to use the Bible to say we should eat meat are not getting the whole picture, I don't think.  I'm not saying that everyone has to become vegan, (though I believe it's certainly best for health and to prevent the degradation of the environment), but for people to claim that its not Christian unless we eat meat is off track. 

Especially since we have been given prophetic light of the scriptures that has been validated by science showing that the vegan diet can not only prevent but reverse major lifestyle diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, etc.  Weimar Institute has repeatedly cleaned out the arteries of people who were on their death bed with up to 9 coronary arteries blocked, and gotten people completely off insulin who were taking 100 or more units of insulin per day.

The fact that Jesus inspired the writings of Ellen White is pretty good evidence that He is not offering fish to this generation as He did to those in Galilee...

God bless you, brother!  :)

I try to say a prayer over everything i eat. If God provided he can ensure our bodies can tolerate minute traces of pollutants that exist in meat or plant matter detected by science.  From there moderation is key. I also believe there are "safer" eating habits but that doesnt make them right or wrong for everyone.

Why do you keep making fun of Adventists?

Do you disagree with EGW statements about fish caught from polluted areas?

If the Lord provided manna in the wilderness, will you have strong cravings you can't deny?

Numbers  11:33 And while the flesh [was] yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the LORD was kindled against the people, and the LORD smote the people with a very great plague. 

11:34 And he called the name of that place Kibrothhattaavah: because there they buried the people that lusted.

1 Cor. 10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness

10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service