Adventist Online

I was surprised to learn how much mystery and misunderstanding surrounds this topic.   I always assumed that everyone knew that a person who is a victim of divorce for legitimate biblical reasons is free to remarry.  However, I learned that many people feel a divorcee, regardless of the situation, you can never remarry.  So it is the goal of this thread to answer the simple question, can a "legitimate" divorcee remarry?

For the purposes of this thread, we will only be discussing the concessions God made for divorcees resulting from adultery and unequally yoked believers as this is the most clearest concession made in scripture.  If you are a divorcee from other circumstances (for ex. domestic abuse), please refrain from incorporating that topic into this thread.  I understand that God will be the final arbiter in those situations,  but this thread is geared towards the most obviously interpretation concerning divorce.

I will first start off by looking at what the bible says on divorce and then end with a quote from Ellen White.

BIBLICAL REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT GET DIVORCE

It is clear from God's word that we should refrain from divorce, if at all possible, under all circumstances even in cases of adultery.  Jesus said,

Matthew 19:5-6:

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Matthew 19:8
He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

So from here we see that Jesus prefers people to stay married, if possible, at all cost save salvation.  Prior to sin, this was the standard held in the Garden and perhaps for many generations after sin entered the world.

In addition Paul says this on divorce:

10And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

So there is strong indication from the Bible to abstain from divorce in all cases.  But what if your a victim of divorce in which the spouse is is an unbeliever or an adulterer?  What then?

The Biblical Concession for divorce

In the most obvious interpretation of scripture, the bible makes concession for divorce in only two instances:

Matthew 19:8 - 9

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

and

1 Corinthians 7:15:

15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

So from scripture, concessions are made to those who have unbelieving spouses who divorced them, and who divorced spouses who committed adultery.

So now that we know when the bible allows for divorce, can we assume that the divorcee is free to remarry?  Or is remarrying forbidden altogether?  Apparently ,  this is where the confusion begins for some.

Can a legitimate divorcee remarry?

First we know that illegitimate divorcees, victim or otherwise, are not granted concession to remarry according to scripture. The verses already shown touch on that subject. See Matthew 19:8-9.  I would like us to take a look at the word used in the Bible for divorce:

The word divorce is translated in the KJV as to put away.  According to the Strong Concordance, the greek translation of the word is 

απολυω apoluo ap-ol-oo’-o

The actual translation can be any of the following:

AV-release 17, put away 14, send away 13, let go 13, set at liberty 2, let depart 2, dismiss 2,

The definition is
1) to set free
2) to let go free, release
3) a captive i.e. to loose his bonds and bid him depart, to give him liberty to depart

Free from what? Free from your marriage covenant.  But the question is, what does that freedom grant you?  Does it enable you to remarry?  Lets look at Matthew 19:8-9 again

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

The context of this verse it is discussing remarriage.  To paraphrase, Jesus is saying if you divorce your wife for anything other then sexual immorality, you are not free to marry another.  Or to put it another way, if you divorce your spouse for sexual immorality, then you are free to marry another.

Jesus goes on to say about the person receiving the divorce:

Matthew 19:9 KJV:

...and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

So in the same way, if you are the recipient of the divorce for illegitimate reasons, you cannot remarry.  But if legitimate, then you are free to marry.

The Unbeliever

In the case of an unbeliever, it is not biblical to divorce an unbeliever.  But if the unbeliever leaves, then scripture tells us you are free of your marriage bonds to him or her. See 1 Cor 7:15

Where it all began

Now we know the concession  for divorce was made by Moses in the old testament.  All the new testament writers simply are alluding to the verses found in Deuteronomy 24.

Deuteronomy 24

1When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

3And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

4Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

So we can see here, even the person who committed the sin of adultery and was divorced is free to remarry.  We pray they would be genuine repentance, but you see that remarriage was not forbidden as some believe.

I would like to conclude with a quote from the pen of inspiration.  EGW does not contradict scripture in this regard.  BTW , this is not only council from Ellen White, this is a vision of Ellen White.  This is a thus saith the lord.  If she is wrong about this, then she is also a false prophet, which is an entirely separate discussion that I hope we do not need to have:) On to the quote:

Ellen White:

I saw that Sister _____, as yet, has no right to marry another man; but if she, or any other woman, should obtain a divorce legally on the ground that her husband was guilty of adultery, then she is free to be married to whom she chooses.9 {AH 344.3}

Conclusion

Brethren/singles, I hope you find this helpful in dealing with potential interests coming from divorced situations.  Do be careful in who you choose as your partner and always look for understanding in Gods word and the inspiration provided to us in these last days.  There are many divorcees who are women and men of God, do not disregard them just because of that with out a proper biblical understanding.    God bless you all.

Views: 5631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perfected after Jesus returns....because there will be no marriage in heaven.

@Sarah

According to SOP and scripture those who are left alive after the tribulation who are called up to meet Him in the air will have reached that perfection shortly before His coming.

You may find "144,000 The Great Multitude, and The Return of Jesus" By Elder Colin Standish to be a good read on the subject... In that book you will find piles and piles of evidence form scripture and SOP on this subject.

@Teresa

You misunderstood me..  While I was making a specific end time reference that is factual, I also fully agree with everything you just said. Both are true..

The last generation thing is just talking about those who have been through so much of Gods refining, and become so filled with the Spirit that just having survived the tribulation that they no longer have any inclination left to sin... Its the same reason that most of the least privileged people in so many third world country's typically have stronger faith than most who have it easier.. The more you have to put everything on the line for His sake and keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus through it all the better character you will form. So as you can see it is very Christ centered.

Jesus should be the beginning and end of every doctrine, every belief and every breath we take.

I suggest you read that book.. The depths with which the love of Christ is expressed alone makes it worth the read.. However if you don't have time for the book, I got the privilege of hearing Elder Standish Speak on the issue at a church in Flagstaff. I didn't get video, but the church recorded it and I can give you the link for youtube if you like?

It may seem a bit slow, because Elder Standish is in his mid 80's, but even with his slowness in speaking it is one of  the most moving sets of sermons I have had the privilege of hearing. It looks like they only has the first hour of it posted though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm8ZCydtJy8

Could you elaborate please?

@Teresa

I am ok with praying about it, but if you have more info. I would like to give what you are telling me the level of intellectual honesty it deserves via analysis... Send me some links. :0)

ROTFLMBO!  =)

When people take hard lines against divorce

its good

WONDERFUL

GOD is all about reconcilation and healing!

GOD gave DIVORCE out of the hardness of our hearts

Even HOSEA is encouraged to lure GOMER back after horrendous sins

and these hardliners should never get DIVORCE

let them model  to others what it is to keep the COVENANT [till u r dead ]you made before GOD and  MAN

MARRIAGE IS SACRED? like christians keep whining to gays who want to choose their life partner and live their own adult free life

then KEEP YOUR MARRIAGE SACRED

regardless what others choose to do

it is their choice!

whether people divorce or not or marry alot

you take the hardline with your  own life

dont divorce!

even if that means never to marry cause u figured out you are not the faithful kind

GOD doesnt call any of you to lord over others relationships PERIOD!

GOD calls you to not break your vows

GOD doesnt call any of you to tell others how they should conduct their relationships

its not for you to to control

u are called to control yourself

and all of u dont do that too well.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL HERE

Jason Missole :"Two persons who are truly Christians will not get divorced,  so look for a real Christian-those singles out there. "

u r wrong about that

i cry FOUL!

shame on u

that statement says too  much about your shallow thin immature self centered smug spituality to others with that statement and u dont even realize it

i thought u were above that!

GOD blessu

i hope u stretch and grow

btw

im using strong  harsh judging words to match yours :) GBU

and please dont justify your statement

i hope u understand that you will look worse for it

that statement says too  much about your shallow thin immature self centered smug spituality to others with that statement and u dont even realize it

It is not up to you to characterize any other persons spirituality.  You simply cannot know that.  We have made it against our Site Rules & Guidelines to do this because no one can do this but God.

Disagree with issues but do not make personal attacks against others.  Always treat others with the love of Christ evident in your words.

Kristina Pauly

and

Jason Missole

THE STANDARDS ARE HIGH

they are GLORIOUS that  draw others to JESUS

they are so lofty

and pure and good and to be every christians template of HOLY LIVING

every true CHRISTIAN are sinners and do make miserable decisions and bad choices and mistakes

and deal with frailities and addictions and dim understandings of self and spouse and GOD

so this idealistic thinking that when we become christians we wont screw up or become wise  and capable on how to handle everything that is thrown our way is

evil and not true and discourages the best of us

such blanket statements by Jason Missole is a tool to discourage the real christians who arent perfect yet

it disenfranchises,neglects,abandons,blocks earnest souls who have been defeated yet still look to their SAVIOUR for acceptance, encouragment,and future victories!

JASON doesnt even know that?

o boy!

what does he hang his hat on?

his muster?

his self control?

his goodness?

no no

JASON [if a real christian]

hangs his  miserable soul on JESUS AND HIS RIGHTOUSNESS

all our sinfulness is worst than we think

and GODS GRACE is bigger than we think

I agree, MFG....we have to very careful not to make a blanket statement on both person's spirituality (which is between them and the LORD) based on information that we do not have--and may not need to have.

@Sarah

I agree we can not judge the individual situation, and besides that there are many instances where the unbelieving spouse leaves... I never really saw that as the Christian getting a divorce though... I always thought if it as a Christian being the victim of divorce.

Thought the topic of discussion here is not judging individual cases, but rather the principals...

That is why I have made the statements I have made.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service