Adventist Online

IS IT IMPERATIVE TO READ EGW WRITINGS (LESSER LIGHT) LIKE THE BIBLE?

...:)

Views: 1295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bible gives the light and its the WORD of God. as you have indicated the writings of E.G.White is less superior thus there for further light

ANDREW

you are right...::)

I just wondered to my fellow church members as they study EGW writings they step backward from the church...

sometime we joke,

oh please don't read that book..

you might get lost too!...:)

I think we need to be more careful with our words. What Church is God's Church? How do you know that those who left will be lost, and those who stayed will be saved? Could it be the other way around? What did they see that made them leave your church? There is always two sides to every story. Only God knows. With all due respect, the issue of salvation should be taken a bit more seriously.

The Gift of Prophecy

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying

mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G.

White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative

source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction,

and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard

by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts

2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Fundamental Beliefs of our Faith. Church Manual, page 162

Blessings

VicDay

The problem we have is that we are not consistent with the application of scripture and we tend to misuse and misapply scriptures in order to defend our doctrine.  Joel 2, Acts 2 and Hebrews1 are referring to one thing and Rev 12 and 19 are referring to something else.  We need to claify whether the gift of prophecy and the spirit of prophecy are one in the same.  SDAs refer to EGW writing as the SOP as such there is one SOP for the SDA church namely EGW and her writings in recent times some have suggested that Miller, Bates and some of the early pioneers also constitued the SOP.  But for the most part only EGW writings are regarded as such.

Joel and Acts talks about the gift of prophecy in the same sense as the gift of pastor, helps, tongues, teaching etc.  These gifts are giving to various members of the church, however only EGW seem to have the gift of prophecy out of all the SDA's that have existed from the 1860s.  This is quite peculair as we have had thousands pastors, evangetlist, teachers, helps, etc but only one prophet.  Fundamental 18 is a contradiction of terms how can it be the lesser light when it has the same perogative as 1 tim 3:16

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Is there any difference between what Paul says about the Old testament scriptures and what the SDA says about EGW writings? We need to do one of two things either we are bold and declare that EGW writings is the 3rd Testment and is on equal par with both the Old and New Testament, or we admit that EGW is not on par with the bible and therefore people are no lesser christians because they do not subscribe to EGW. 

Afterall if EGW does not contradict the bible and I am following the bible then I will also be following everything that EGW says.  A simple example If the bible said "you must always wear your seat belt when driving" and EGW comes along and says "many people have died because of carelessness and disobedience, they have not hearken to the words of God but in their rebellion have sought to do things their own way and suffered the consequences of their decision.  It  was shown to me that in these last days many will die needlessly because the chose to drive their automobiles without wearing a seatbelt.  Not one child of God should drive his car without first putting on his seatbelt"

Is there any contradiction between the two? NO so if I obeyed the the simple instruction of always wearing my seatbeat when I am driving then tge long explanation given in the 2nd example does not apply to me. 

Problem only arises when if EGW says things that are in conflict with what the bible teaches

And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."--2 Timothy 3:15-17.

Joel and Acts talks about the gift of prophecy in the same sense as the gift of pastor, helps, tongues, teaching etc.  These gifts are giving to various members of the church, however only EGW seem to have the gift of prophecy out of all the SDA's that have existed from the 1860s.  This is quite peculair as we have had thousands pastors, evangetlist, teachers, helps, etc but only one prophet. -- Charliebwoyo

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:  And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit."--Joel 2:28, 29.

What is interesting is that the Sabbath School Lesson states that one of the reasons the local church has limited power for evangelism is because leaders are not looking for gifted people to serve.  In order to do effective ministry and evangelism, the LOCAL CHURCH MUST possess ALL of the Spiritual Gifts of Ephesians 4 and 1 Corinthians 12.    

Sarah

In our local church we help our brethren to identify their gifts through spiritual gift TEST...:)

Good going Charlie.  God bless.

I agree with the fact that we are very inconsistent with what we believe. We are no different than the people of Israel, the apostles, or the early Christians. Is human to pick from the Bible , or the SOP some texts and not others; or flat out take them out of context. I think we do it to justify our beliefs.

My only question is: Is the Spirit of Prophecy in contradiction or in conflict with the Bible?

VicDay

No!

I have been reading both for over 60 years and have yet to find a genuine discrepancy.  The apparent discrepancies are becasue the reader is misunderstanding either the Bible or what Ellen White wrote.  Sometimes both.  You can trust what you read from both sources.

Maranatha :)

Ray

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com