Adventist Online

I find a bit difficult for someone to remarry after the death of his or her partner,these are the questions i usually ask,

1. how will they explain themselves when their partners are resurrected by God?

2.how does a new mum or dad fit into the system of a new family?

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like some to answer this question also.

I will do the same as well.

The scriptures are very explicitly clear on this 

lol it's not wrong it's right, death was the only ground for remarriage. I edited my post to make it clear. I think she knows the answer to this question 

Is a person eligible for remarriage after he/she is widowed? Not only does the Bible not speak against remarriage after a spouse dies, in some cases, it actually encourages it (1 Corinthians 7:8-9; 1 Timothy 5:14). The Jewish culture in biblical times also encouraged this for different reasons. In most cases, the Bible addresses the issue of widows rather than widowers. However, there is nothing within the context of any of these passages leading us to believe that the standard was gender-specific.
Primarily addressing widows was likely to have been for three reasons. The first was that men usually worked outside the home, sometimes doing dangerous jobs. Men in biblical times, just as now, had shorter life spans on average than their wives. Thus, widows were far more common than widowers.
The second reason was the fact that women rarely had any means of supporting themselves and their children in biblical times (2 Kings 4:1-7). Remarriage was the primary way in which a widow would regain protection and provision for the needs of herself and her children. Once Christ established the Church, the Church became responsible for the care of widows under certain circumstances (1 Timothy 5:3-10).
The third issue was that continuing the husband’s family line and name was a concern in Jewish culture. As a result, if a husband died without leaving any children to carry on his name, his brother was encouraged to marry the widow and provide her with children. Other men in the family had the option also, but there was a proper order in which each man had the opportunity to fulfill or pass on this responsibility (see the book of Ruth for an example of this). Even among priests (who had to follow a higher standard), remarriage after the death of a spouse was permitted. In the case of priests, it was under the stipulation that they only marry the widow of another priest (Ezekiel 44:22). So, based on all biblical instruction on the subject, remarriage after the death of a spouse is permitted by God.
Romans 7:2-3 tells us, “For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.” Even with divorce occurring in 50% of marriages today, most wedding vows still contain the phrase “till death do us part.” This phrase may not be specifically from the Bible, but the principle is biblical.
When a man and woman get married, God unites them as one flesh (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6). The only thing that can break the marriage bond, in God’s eyes, is death. If a person’s spouse dies, the widow / widower is absolutely free to remarry. The Apostle Paul allowed widows to remarry in 1 Corinthians 7:8-9 and encouraged younger widows to remarry in 1 Timothy 5:14. Remarriage after the death of a spouse is absolutely allowed by God.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/remarriage-death.html#ixzz2TsVoaJzb

Have a look at Matthew 22:30.

At my church there are quite a few older folk who have remarried after their first spouse died.  The most recent was a widow and widower.  The first wife knowing she was terminally ill actually asked the widow to consider it.

Luke  2:36    And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;  
 2:37    And she [was] a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served [God] with fastings and prayers night and day. 

1 Tim.  5:11    But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;  

Yet, in spite of these easily misinterpreted verses, you can't condemn anyone for re-marrying after being widowed.  Because, it also says:

1 Cor.  7:2    Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.  

Every man, every woman, is justified for marrying, whether widowed, or even if they have been divorced, due to circumstances beyond their control, even, in spite of what Jesus says, that those who remarry after divorce commit adultery.  It's only technically adultery.  It doesn't mean they are guilty of something, because it was not their fault, after all.

But if someone divorces their spouse, just to marry another, they should surely be disfellowshipped, that the church may not bear this heinous sin.

But if someone divorces their spouse, just to marry another, they should surely be disfellowshipped, that the church may not bear this heinous sin.

Depends....and disfellowshipping is always the very last resort.  If necessary, censure only.

1 Corinthians 7

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

1 Corinthians 7

10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

Very good points, Pamela.

@Sarah Sulton

Christ has plainly taught that those who persist in open sin must be separated from the church ... {COL 71.3}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service