Adventist Online

Martial arts is a form of exercise, although some pastors don't agree, for me it is the way to maintain balance and to keep my body fit.

Views: 942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IN Adventisim today their far too many that go by their feelings  ,, IN  I THINK>>  It causes me to be scared for we often use our own anologies of why we  have  to do what we want instead of applying Gods principles to our life, , . What was acceptable in the  past out of ignorance or tolerated out of hardness of  heart is it actually safe today to folow in our parents or grandparentd footstepd that they folloed aand say well it was good enough for them and   my Dad tells me it is ok even now ?/

when is it ok t ofollow a principle that God wants us to let go  of  just like when the children of Isreal  were in the desert and God wanted to free them from  the harmful effects of eating flesh foods but they  kept belling aching how much the y missed the flesh pots of Eygpt , never mind the fact they were whipped  and beaten and never actually had wha tthe y claimed    Freedom..

Iguess what  I AM SAYING  TRUE FREEDOM  comes from a willingness to deny what we been doing all our life when God calls us to come up higher and be ready for His return. It means giving up the old habits of life our fathers  may of had or that we were used to doing while growimng up that seemed innocent until further light that came our way is seen and then would it not be safer to let go and have the faith to be a real overcomer? . 

I gre up  thinking their was nothing wrong with  the martial arts myself and for  over 25 years as a Adventist  I stil enjoyed seeiing it to a degree ..   I knew deep down though something was not quite right   for it seemed to me  getting  yourself to win  a fight  u had to beat up ssomeone else  and where was  CHRIST AT IN ALL THIS THEN   ? Yes I know   I also  get weak in other areas of my  life but  for some reason trials  I  have  been having  have awakened in me    A openess to  learn  new things  I was not ready to accept before and  u  as u learn u wonder why it is  u loved this before..  Music  I once loved contemporary Gospel somgs for example  the saame ones I heard 20 years ago  I  NOW  listen to with a keener ear  n hear what I had not before the beat  the drums  the  seemingly small things that  are inconsistent  now just does not hold my interest .  

Anyway being les swinded here  I SAY IT IS   High Time for  us to stop playing  games with  God and let Him  bring us to tha tHigher ground we used to sing heartly about .. listen to the  old hymns  instead of just singing along truly listen to the words and ask yourself questions   like how does this apply to my life today / Is  what is being  sung actually being  a part of my experiance why  or why not?   IS it being  judgemental to actually  practise what we  hear in these old hymns . WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LET GO  AND let GOD TRULY USE US?

Amen

Martial arts teaches disciplines and it is being in a good equilibrium mind set. One is more assertive. In time like ours where obesity is there to do violence to our body. Martial arts is a form of sport to lose weight. This issue should not be associated with spirituality. It is apart. One may practising martial art but is doing good for his/her body not necessarily to use it in the form of violating others. It builds up one's character and personality. It empowers one. one is better concentrated for your studies. It is a good sport for hyperactive children.

You did yourself if you truly believe

I am sorry. But martial arts cant be sepparted into just a sport an exercise. For it teaches spiritual principles. What.it teaches sounds like scripture u need to watch the videos IN UTUBE. To fully understand the TRUE SPIRIT. That inspires this

Here is an article I read....

It is stated by one of the founders of martial arts, Gichin Funakoshi, “The mind and technique become one in true karate.” By polishing our karate practice, he believes, we are polishing our own spirit or our own mentality. Karate is a system that can be considered a “way of life,” merging the spiritual and physical sides of our human existence. A Christian involved in martial arts should have a difficult time finding comfort in the roots of the martial arts. As seen above, they focus much attention on the physical development (which is not a bad thing), but also combine the training with Buddhist or Zen philosophy.

What does the Bible say about the mind? First of all, the heart is “desperately wicked” (Jeremiah 17:9). In the Scriptures, the heart and mind are often considered to be the same thing. Since our hearts and our minds are wicked, we are not able to think clearly about our spiritual situation, and therefore unable to “polish” our own spirits as karate claims it is able to do. We are in need of a Savior to clean our hearts, and develop within us a new spirit. Titus 1:15 gives us insight into the mind of the unbeliever: “To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.” The philosophies contained in Buddhism, as well as most all of the religions of the world, are developed by flawed men with defiled minds. They do not offer advice suitable for Christians to follow.

The Scriptures teach us what we are to do with our minds. We are not to conform our thinking to the world’s way of thinking but “be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2Ephesians 4:23). The picture in Romans 12:2 is like that of a mold we use for making cakes. The batter is placed inside the cake mold, and when the baking is complete, out comes the cake in the same shape as the mold. Our minds are not to be shaped by the world’s mold. We are to set our minds on the things above, not on the things that are on earth (Colossians 3:2). We should train our minds in how to serve the Lord and please Him in all that we do.

While the physical side of martial arts is probably a good form of exercise, and many Christians do participate in martial arts, it may be a dangerous activity to allow the mind to become influenced by the philosophies associated with karate and all other forms of the martial arts. The false religious overtones of Buddhism are there whether they are expressed verbally or not. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to separate the philosophies from the activity, and therefore it would be wise for the Christian to use much caution before participating in this kind of activity.

DWow .Awesome point u. Mak,e: here between the physical aspect. Of Martial Arts and the Spiritual. And it is TRUE. By beholding. We become Changed. The Bible is supposed. To be a christians guide and directional : map given to show us the truth yes. Or no? I am seeing in todays world even among Seventh Day. Adventists those that. Follow only what pleases them they can be in direct disobedience of. A thus says the Lord it wont reach them Pride wont allow. It

Depends on who is teaching....Not a yes or no question.

Martial arts can be a great way to both keep fit and to teach your mind discipline, both very important for Christians. A lot of people here think martial arts is for beating people up. This is far from the truth. Some are, some definitely are not.

Picking up a martial art will help you understand how much damage can be caused by physical fighting and how stupid getting into those fights is to begin with. Many good martial arts schools will put emphasis on avoiding the temptation to resolve conflict through physical blows. Knowing a martial art can give one the confidence to seek better solutions.

Yes, we should rely on God that he will meet all our needs but that doesn't mean God wants us to be lazy helpless infants who just wait for him to provide for every thing. God wants us to work and to provide for our selves, though he doesn't want us to worry because if our strength fails, His will still be there to carry us. Learning how to avoid someone taking a swing at you sounds like a fairly useful life skill to have in this world.

Dear friends and fellow servants of the LORD,

There is a brand new film scheduled for release July 17th from Little Light Studios, called "The Dragon Revealed !"
In this film, many of the questions that are being asked by Christians today, about the martial arts, tai-chi and yoga, are answered. And the secrets of the masters are revealed !

Here is a link to the new Preview Trailer     - https://littlelightstudios.tv/projects/the-dragon-revealed/

May the LORD (Jehovah, Yehuwah) Bless each of us according to His Promise, as we search for the Truth in these final days, before our Lord & Sovereign King's glorious return in the clouds of heaven !
your brother in Christ Jesus,

Eric Wilson - Isaiah Ministries

If you have any questions about these practices or the upcoming film, please feel free to contact us at Isaiah Ministries or the address below ?
 - EWilson7th@gmail.com

Eric Wilson - Isaiah Ministries

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com