Adventist Online

Is their any Biblical basis on people being ordained before they can perform spiritual ceremonies such as baptisms or communion? 

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I'm saying is the concept and ceremony we have of ordination, was never in the Bible. It's a tradition we maintained from our protestant fathers, which they maintained from their Harlot Mother. It's a way of separating the clergy "class" from the "layman" class that was never taught in the apostolic church, and in fact, promotes pew warmers to view church as a spectator sport where all the responsibility is on the pastor, and promotes arrogance in the "ordained" leaders.  To be ordained in the Hebrew means to take a stand, be a servant of, be presented before the King, and establish. It is God that ordains people, not man. Much like Sister White was ordained to give a message by God, yet not recognized by man as being "ordained". In the Greek, it means to act rightly, to make a thing out of something,to produce, to make ready. None of the "special" significance we put on that title. None of the separation of "social" class and status that we have today. 

Our Heavenly High Priest has eternal bearing.

Our Saviour will forever be King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I am not sure if Jesus will forever be a  High Priest as the job of the High Priest is to atone for sin.

So, his scars will instantly disappear?

No. But will He still be atoning for sin ?

What we call "Pastors" are actually "Bishops", as in "A bishop must be blameless.....".  These offices are ordained, as in, they are recognized by the church to conduct such things as baptisms.

"God had abundantly blessed the labors of Paul and Barnabas during the year they remained with the believers in Antioch. But neither of them had as yet been formally ordained to the gospel ministry. They had now reached a point in their Christian experience when God was about to entrust them with the carrying forward of a difficult missionary enterprise, in the prosecution of which they would need every advantage that could be obtained through the agency of the church." {AA 160.1}
     ".... As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate Me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." Before being sent forth as missionaries to the heathen world, these apostles were solemnly dedicated to God by fasting and prayer and the laying on of hands. Thus they were authorized by the church, not only to teach the truth, but to perform the rite of baptism and to organize churches, being invested with full ecclesiastical authority. {AA 160.2}

There's always plenty of work for everyone to do.  If you're faithful in the little, you'll be faithful in much.  Little is working at your own expense, when you can afford to.  Much is the church paying you to work full time. Well, I hope it goes that way.  Then there is hope for our church.

Pastor T,

first thanks for responding. I would like to say that if it's the community that sets the people apart, for a public recognition, it seems more for man's comfort and benefit by other men, than for the building of God's Kingdom. To be ordained in the Hebrew means to take a stand, be a servant of, be presented before the King, and establish. It is God that ordains people, not mam. Much like Sister White was ordained to give a message by God, yet not recognized by man as being "ordained". In the Greek, it means to act rightly, to make a thing out of something,to produce, to make ready. None of the "special" significance we put on that title. Also, how would it be confusion for those who feel led, to baptize say, their child, or brother, or who ever. How would that bring confusion?

Charlie,
Would you conduct a wedding ceremony?
Mutinta

If the Holy Spirit led me to, you better believe I would.

Good question,

Mutina, I will answer you also, since you felt Pastor T had a good question. If a person is chosen by God to be a preacher, teacher, leader, servant, whatever, then regardless if they are recognized by other men, they will be equipped with the talent and desire to fulfill that role. You will see it in their fruit, not their title. Hope that answer is helpful. 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service