Adventist Online

Many here have presented the view that Salvation is not conditional, that it is completely free.

To challenge this viewpoint, I would like to initiate a study of the following verses which describe in figures the justification and sanctification of Gods people:

Zec 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: [is] not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Zec 3:3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel.
Zec 3:4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.
Zec 3:5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by.
Zec 3:6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying,
Zec 3:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.

Now here is a picture of the complete process.

First there is the justification, the giving of the robes and mitre as a gift from the Father.

But then after this gift, conditions are layed down:

If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by.

Now there is here a call to obedience, that follows the justifying act of the robes being placed on us.

Now we know from other parts of the bible that obedience is a gift from God, it is a gift for those that rest in the merits of the blood that Jesus shed for us.

But that obedience is still required.

Obedience to what?

Gods law.

So that means that if you have received the Robe of Righteousness and then think you can walk in sin, then you have broken the covenant laid down here.

Obedience is required.

That is a fact.

The question should be, "How do I give you obedience Lord?".

Not "Surely I am excused from obedience Lord?".

Your thoughts appreciated :-)

Mark

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Am sorry 4 Him if I can't grant you on that because I don't have so much time to have real conversation such as this one because of work...That's why, whenever I got the chance to reply threads that caught my attention and interest, I'd see to it that it would be sent one time so that I wouldn't be spending so much time in replying...
Hello Ronie :-)

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post.

Are these quotes from someone?

I have not had time to read them all this morning unfortunately, but I did like this sentiment:

Bill Jones is fishing several miles out in the ocean. His boat capsizes and sinks to the bottom. He is unable to swim to safety. Just then, another fishing boat comes along, but it is so heavily loaded that it is impossible to take on another passenger. Because they want to rescue the doomed man, however, the crew throws him a rope. "Here, take this rope," they say. "We will tow you to shore." As he takes the rope, Bill Jones says, "Thank God, I am saved!" And he is saved, as long as he holds on to the rope. Salvation is his, but he has a part to play in it. If he should at any time release his grasp on the rope and refuse to take it again, he would be lost. So it is with a person who has been rescued from sin. He remains saved as long as he holds on to the hand of Christ. If he should decide to release that hand and clasp the hand of the devil, he would be lost. His salvation depends on his decision and his action.
Actually, I just got this info from a material I had...I've been gathering best things like this one..

Personally, I like that illustration too...;-)...For me, it was a very precise one...
I think it was very correct in that as long as we Abide in Christ, we stay in that saving relationship. :-)

God bless,

Mark

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com