Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4945

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Bible doesn't say anything about it. But that doesn't mean it's not true. It is simply a cultural issue. The wedding ring is commonly understood to mean those things in many (but not all) communities and cultures.

Here's another cultural example. The Bible doesn't say men should wear ties to church, right? But I promise you will not see any of our church leaders in North America speaking at church without one (unless, of course, they are trying to be the hip and cool youth pastor... be even they wear ties when preaching to the whole church.)

Why is it that they wear ties? They even spend good money on these ties! Why do they do that? They are simply being a member of their community and living in that culture. Their culture says that dressing with a tie is "dressing up" and shows the most respect. So that's how they dress.

It is the same with the wedding ring. Many cultures ascribe the meaning to the wedding ring that 4 Him described. So in those cultures it is a good thing to wear a wedding ring.

If your culture is not that way, then don't wear a wedding ring. :-)
Great Post Vincenzo. Thanks.

But I do have to comment that I live in North America and my pastor has never worn a tie up front. Even when my pastor was the featured speaker at camp meeting ... No tie.

I guess it is cultural. Local Culture.
but tie is far different from rings
How are they different? I don't see any difference at all.

They are both functionally useless items we wear that we spend money on because they mean something culturally (see above).

We wear or don't wear both of them based on the culture in which we live.

What's the difference? Many ties cost more money than modest wedding bands, so it's not that.
Exactly. I see no even little difference...;-)
I am new to this forum, however, I have already noticed that this is a very international group of memebers. The hcurch has never been clear on this, as they have discouraged to wearing of wedding rings in teh US and other countries where it is only traditional, but allow the rings in countries where it is law.

There are also other inconsistencies in such "doctrines' The Bible IS silent on wedding rings, per se, but not jewelry in genreal. I tis worn and worn by the COI continuously through the Bible.. The "doctrine" not to wear Jewelry in at least some countries of thw world wide church is more of a corporate policy, like not wearing jeans to the office. It is not biblical, but meant to assist in making us even more "a perculair people". However, as with all things dealing with the shallowness of outward appearances, it doesn't quite work, First, purely asthetic again, not everyone who is not in the church wears jewelry/wedding rings. Some folks are allergic, and just chose not to wear it. Secondly,. That which we are attempting to legislate is Something that should come from the inside and shine out. That will make all of the difference wedding band/jewelry or not.
Hmmmmmm!

thank you Vincenzo - well said :)

Actually the wedding ring comes from Babylon.. Literally.. It is a pagan symbol for a few things, the serpent with the tail in its mouth, reincarnation, and eternal life.. There is more that it refers to, but I can't recall off the top of my head..

Also reefer to Genesis 35 :1-4, and Exodus 33: 1-6.
You've said it well Godsqueen...;-)
The wedding ring is a cultural thing. The Seventh-day Adventist Church decided many years ago to neither approve nor disapprove nor make an issue of it. I don't know why it keeps coming up. Why should anyone disapprove of a plain wedding band. I didn't wear one for many years and then I decided to "stop bearing false witness".... 'nuff sed

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service