Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats a lot of money, for an object. How did that tradition start anyway? Thinking back to couples in the Bible, Adam and Eve, Abraham and Sarah, down their line, to even an NT couple in Aquinas and Priscilla, I don't remember this tradition mentioned. Did I miss something, or is this really another meaningless man made tradition.
The meaning of symbols change over the years. Meanings are not static. And also ... they are cultural. I say ... to each his own. And if someone wants to make it Christian ... let them.
Rather dogmatic isn't it. You can speak for your self ... but please don't speak for my beloved church who has spoken very much in opposition to what you have stated.

And yes Jesus and all of us will wear jewelry. My crown will have lots of jewels. Don't know about yours. Maybe you can ask for a naked one.
Theres a little book that talks about jewelry. I highly recommend it. I'll post the link to it at the bottom, but b4 I do that I'll paste the small chapter that talked about wedding rings. I hope its enough to get everyone to agree. And if not? Read the whole book. I may take you 15 min at most to go through it.

"Wedding Rings?

At this point someone might be wondering, "What about a wedding ring?"
Very simply, support for the wedding ring cannot be found anywhere in Scripture. The Bible doesn't say that some rings can be worn and that others shouldn't. It simply includes rings in a long list of jewelry and ornamental clothing.
The wearing of wedding rings is strictly a tradition that springs from paganism and has since been embraced and "baptized" by many churches. Cardinal John Henry Newman points out that the wedding ring, along with many other pagan customs, infiltrated Christianity through the compromising influence of his church. "The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, and ornamented on occasions with branches of trees; incense, lamps, candles; votive offerings on recovery from illness; holy water; asylums; holy days and seasons, use of calendars, processions, blessings on the fields; sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the east, images at a later date ... are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church." 1
Of course, today we have found the wedding ring to be a deeply ingrained tradition. But if sincere seekers of God's will study this topic and are convicted to remove all jewelry, God will give them the grace to follow Him above tradition. "And he [Jesus] said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition." Mark 7:9."

http://www.amazingfacts.org/FreeStuff/OnlineLibrary/tabid/106/ctl/V...

Please, all who've read and posted here.. check the booklet out and then consider a little better what you'd be doing to keep this non Biblical tradition.
I knew it I just knew it ... this had to be another paganism story. Every thing that is disagreeable to some .... just HAS to be pagan.

Hey ... I have said it before ... I don't care if it was pagan. I don't let the pagans rule me. Everything was pagan at one point or another.

Geeeeezzz
Not everything comes from paganism. Unfortunately, most popular things today do. How much do you know about its history though? I had heard it like this not long ago (I won't word it as well as they did lol). Babylon, undeniable paganism there. Who conquered them... And when they did, did they not retain what was strong, Babylon after all, was not a weak nation, and I'm sure very influential. Then the Greeks conquering, then Rome. Did not one retain much from the one b4? Look at the Roman gods and Greek gods and actually a few other things. You'll see similarity. Paganism has been retained till today.. I have yet to read it but do have it, get the book Two Babylons, theres another in AmazingFacts called Baptized Paganism.

Let me get back to the original subject though, if it has been discovered and undeniable that those are its origins (not cuz its disagreeable), are we to be ignorant and use "culture" or "times have changed" as an excuse? I hope that part I posted isn't the only part of the booklet being read. Often times to understand something, you have to look to where it first came out of, its origins.

Maybe not the same exact way, but, if one wears what they wear, take part of the festivals they invented, eat what they ate, etc, I would say the pagan lifestyle is definitely fulfilled in that person.

Wedding ring? or no wedding ring. Stained by, or unstained by the world?
Like I said ... I really don't care if Christmas was pagan. I don't care if drums are pagan. I don't care if rings are pagan. I don't care if Easter is pagan. I don't care if Birthdays are pagan. I don't care if Valentines Day is pagan. I don't care if Make up is pagan. I don't care if praise songs are pagan. I don't care if meat is pagan. I don't care if over head music is pagan. I don't care if eggs are pagan. I don't care if photographs are pagan. I don't care if organ music is pagan. I don't care if wigs are pagan. I don't care if Christmas Trees are pagan.

Well you get the idea. I am pretty sick of it all. I refuse to let some unknown pagan rule all that I do. Just because he might have owned it at one time ... does not mean that he owns it now.

IF it is something that has to do with worship of a pagan and that is why I am doing it now ... then that would be wrong. I do not worship pagans. No one who does these things on my list is worshipping that unknown pagan of yours. So... just let us be . You can let him dominate your life ... I will not.
Well, like someone at an old job once told the group in a meeting, and it had nothing to do with religion. "New information equals new choices".

... Of course, we could always live in ignorance too, maybe that'll make things ok cuz we just won't care to find out why certain things are the way they are and continue mixing with the world having no showing no difference between us and them.

This makes sense to me, that if someone is doing something and are completely unaware of what it really is and comes from, not yet having an opportunity to find out.. how could they change? They simply would not know. That may change in the future. Then there are some who know, yet think its ok anyway cuz well, times have changed. Isn't that something else? My life is not dominated by anything pagan because to my knowledge, I am not taking part in any of what it was. As I learn more, I make more changes, and am happy to because I find it confirmed in the lives of different people in the Bible who we can still learn from.
But Jose ... this old Pagan Mantra is just that ... Old. I have heard it so long it just turns my stomach. It is SO sad. I hate to see people wrapped up into it. But, just know ... God can save you anyways. Once we get to Heaven our knowledge will all get straightened out. SO ... there IS hope.
So then, should we honor Sunday? Maybe we can build a case for that IF we are dismissing every Biblical example and knowledge of origins.

And I know once we get to heaven we'll have it all straightened out, but if we see the facts now, do we ignore it?

Those who will want to wear wedding rings will. There is always a choice and thats to be respected. I do feel like I need to add there is no Biblical support for this tradition though. So long as people know.
A culture sure has seemed to make a lot of things ok that otherwise may not have been. Maybe thats just me though.

Btw, we ought to keep in mind that we are not to be a stumbling block for others. Somehow I see in the near future, if not already someone saying "if an Adventist can do it I can do and its ok".
i think you have a nice point of view. bro. in Christ

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by