Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, and my bad, but I just forgot to look into Job. I've been caught up with many other things.

I've addressed nearly all your points already, I feel no need to... again.

Pastor Dough yeah.. he did say something along the lines of if you are convicted to not have them, dont.. if not, then sure have a tree up. But, the Bible to my understanding is not talkn about Christmas trees... but trees that were overlaid with gold etc to be idols. Theres more to it, but its late.. I'm not gonna get into it

You're right, arguing is not good.. Paul preached about that. I don't enjoy arguing. I moved forward a long time ago..

A wedding ring alone should not keep anyone out of heaven.

God bless.
Ahhh Come on Jose. Now what ta we goin' ta argue about. Have some 'fight' left in ya.
Thought this article in Adventist Today .... was pretty good:

The price of membership
Posted June 4th, 2009 by David Person

Seventh-day Adventists who wear jewelry -- which in Adventist culture seems only to mean earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets, not cufflinks, decorative pins, diamond-laden watches or broaches -- can't be kicked out of the church for wearing it.

Why? Because wearing jewelry is not a test of fellowship. Check out your church manual if you don't believe me. So why is it that we still have preachers who stand in the pulpit on Sabbath mornings and deliver anti-jewelry diatribes against wearing jewelry?

I had to suffer through one of those sermons recently at my church. Actually, I didn't have to. I could have walked out on it.

Maybe I should have. It was an illogical, unbiblical waste of time, full of contradictions, incomplete contexts and misinterpretations, especially of Genesis 35, Exodus 33, Isaiah 3, Hosea 2, I Peter 3, and I Timothy 2.

But I didn't walk out. Because the church is as much mine as it is the rabid conservatives who cling to Pharisetical traditions. It belongs to them and to me as much as it does to moderates who don't wear jewelry but understand that it's a cultural tradition not a Biblical no-no.

The church belongs to all of us equally without exception, thanks to grace.

What's disturbing is that the right-wing extreme of conservative Adventism doesn't agree. They seem to think it's their church and the rest of us are just here because they are benevolent hosts. At least that's what it sounded like to me as I listened to the preacher preach. The options he gave to us jewelry-wearing SDAs were limited to one: Take it off when you come to church, even if you don't agree with the doctrine.

Why? Because that's what "we" do. The membership fee for this club is to look the part.

Meanwhile, marriages in our church are ending. I know at least two families facing divorce.

In one -- as if their marriage crisis wasn't enough -- the husband told me that he and his estranged wife were both broke. I suspect in this economy that they aren't the only ones at our church scrambling to pay bills and buy groceries.

But the big issue that needs to be preached about during the 11 a.m. Sabbath service is ... jewelry? Earrings? Necklaces? Rings?

I don't knock those who adhere to tradition. It is their right to do so. What I hope is that we SDAs will one day discover that there is room for all of us -- traditionalists and non-trads like me alike. What we have in common is more important, extensive and substantial than what separates us.

Unity is not synonymous with uniformity or with conformity. As Paul said about similar issues in Roms. 14:5, "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."
Excellent. Thank you Michael.
hmm
God may have something to say about those who spend exorbitant amounts of money on jewelry. including wedding sets; instead of using the money for evangelism. Marriage is not defined by a ring that has paganistic origins. Marriage is defined as an institution God created in Eden. It is defined as a life time commitment that originates and dwells in the heart as love.

I highly recommend the book "Creeping Compromise" by Joe Crews; the Chapter entitled-Colorful Cosmetics and Jewelry is a real eye-opener.

The point is made that a person will ask the pastor, "can I wear my wedding ring and still make it to heaven?"The person is not asking, what I can do to please God, but how much can I get away with! Its simply the wrong attitude!

The true Christian will search the Bible to see how he can please his Master

What is God's attitude towards jewelry?

Isa 3:16 Moreover the LORD said, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:

Isa 3:17 Therefore the LORD will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.

Isa 3:18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,

Isa 3:19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,

Isa 3:20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,

Isa 3:21 The rings, and nose jewels,

Please note that this is the Lord who changes not. He says He will take away the rings from the haughty daughters of Zion!
Yes. We can and DO still glorify God even though we in the SDA church wear rings. The use of rings of course is very Biblical. Any quality study of scripture will show you this. To not wear a ring is a very dishonest adventure.
Hello friend! Your opinions and faith in the Christ is much valued by me. However, it pains me to say that because of criticisms and personal attacks upon me, I will not be responding in any manner to such posts except to repeat this message. This also means I will not return in kind what is directed at me. May we all continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ who has also lovingly given us this entire message (below) through His servant, the prophet Ellen G. White:

“There is no hope for the success of any religious organization where criticism is cherished as a fine art, and called spiritual discernment. Men might far better be blind to others' faults than to be inspired by that keen, detective spirit that will watch for defects in those whom the Lord loves, and through whom He works. We all need to humble ourselves, not to have an exalted idea of self”. . . . {UL 28.2}
Hello friend! Your opinions and faith in the Christ is much valued by me. However, it pains me to say that because of criticisms and personal attacks upon me, I will not be responding in any manner to such posts except to repeat this message. This also means I will not return in kind what is directed at me. May we all continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ who has also lovingly given us this entire message (below) through His servant, the prophet Ellen G. White:

“There is no hope for the success of any religious organization where criticism is cherished as a fine art, and called spiritual discernment. Men might far better be blind to others' faults than to be inspired by that keen, detective spirit that will watch for defects in those whom the Lord loves, and through whom He works. We all need to humble ourselves, not to have an exalted idea of self”. . . . {UL 28.2}

Amen brother Stephen i agree with you, sometimes we are defensive bec. we refuse to accept the full concept about what the bible teaches about jewelries.

No, its not Biblical at all. There is nothing Christian about jewelry. Only pointless traditions. Thats about it, at best.

I won't say a ring will keep you away from heaven, but its most certainly not really Christian. The closer one is to God, the less of that you'll see. Quality study of Scripture separates you from all that. Good thing :)
N HIM, I disagree. I'm not saying that one is lost because of that, God is the judge. The wearing of rings is always associated with sin and rebellion. Isaiah 3 clearly shows that. Show me from the Bible where God or a prophet approves of rings.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service