Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4773

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone including pastors may wear their rings in places where it is imperative. Not everyone may wear it as he wills.

" In countries where the custom is imperative we have no burden to condemn those who have their marriage ring; let them wear it if they can do so conscientiously; but let not our missionaries feel the wearing of the ring will increase their influence one jot or little. If they are Christians, it will be manifest in their Christ likeness of character, in their words, in their works, in the home, in the association with others."
Ellen G. White, Testimonies to Ministers, (Note 63), pp. 180-181

But as Christians, we must be responsible and watch the dangers associated in wearing our wedding rings:

"Let those who had experience to see it that they do not lead others astray on this point by their example. That ring encircling your finger may be very plain but it is useless, and the wearing of it has a wrong influence upon others."
Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church (Mountain View, California, USA: 1948) vol. 4, p. 630.

"Some have had burden in regard to the wearing of marriage ring, feeling that the wives of our American ministers should conform to this custom. All this is unnecessary. Let the minister’s wives have the golden link which binds their souls to Jesus Christ, a pure and holy character, the true love and meekness and godliness that are the fruit borne upon the Christian tree, and their influence will be secure anywhere. The fact that disregards the custom occasion’s remark is no good reason for adopting it. Americans can make their position understood by plainly stating that the custom is not regarded as obligatory in our country. We need not wear the sign, for we are not untrue to our marriage vow, and the wearing of the ring would be no evidence that we were true. I feel deeply over this leavening process which seems to be going on among us, in conformity to custom and fashion. Not only should a penny be spent for a circlet of gold to testify that we are married."

"We must not go faster than we can take those with us whose consciences and intellects are convinced of the truths we advocate. We must meet the people where they are."
Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church (Note 62), vol. 3, p. 20

"In reforms we would be better come one step short of the mark than go one step beyond it. And if there is an error at all, let it be on the side next to the people."
Ellen G. White, Testimonies for the Church (Note 62), vol. 3, p. 20

"Why not wear instead “the golden link which binds their souls to Jesus Christ, a pure and holy character, the true love and meekness and godliness that are the fruit borne upon the Christian tree, and their influence will be secure anywhere.”
Ellen G. White, Testimonies to Ministers, (Note 63), pp. 180.
When I was baptized over 30 years ago, I was a neophyte and was wearing a wedding ring set.
Before my pastor put me in the water, he asked if I could remove my wedding rings. After the baptism, he gave them back to me to put back on(???) I didn't think very much about it at the time, but now I feel the double standard he gave me.

I wear a wedding ring. In this current culture, if you go to a motel or other private place, and you do not have a ring, it is often assumed that you are not married or just cohabitating. I know that the opinion could also be that someone(s) is cheating on another. But mine and my husband's rings tell the world that we are taken in marriage - and that is a good thing.

The culture in which EGW lived is much different than today. Sometimes we have to use a little common sense.
Sis Sylvia:

If we use culture of then and now to justify things we need to do today we will resolve nothing.Instead we will end up doing things we think is right but is not . If you gauge your obedience to culture, then what's the use of the Old Testament? Even the new Testament? They are spoken to the people whose culture is very different from us. But why we take the Bible? Because it's teaching is very relevant to us today. Please try to understand EGW counsels without prejudice and bias and you will see that it don't separate cultures of then and now. It still sound to listen to her counsel today regarding the use of wedding ring than to conform, compromise and rely on our own understanding. Christianity is not a common sense, neither is obeying God. It is not a double standard, a two-way path. If you live in a place where wearing ring is imperative, please listen and understand and it will not hurt you..Don't justify...

" In countries where the custom is imperative we have no burden to condemn those who have their marriage ring; let them wear it if they can do so conscientiously; but let not our missionaries feel the wearing of the ring will increase their influence one jot or little. If they are Christians, it will be manifest in their Christ likeness of character, in their words, in their works, in the home, in the association with others."
There seems to be some confusion ... thinking that Ellen White speaks for the church. She does not. The church has officially decided that rings are fine and it is up to the individual to decide to wear. The "church" in it's official capacity has decided that even pastors can wear a wedding ring. This is an action of the 'official' church in its 'official' capacity at the General Conference in session. Many pastors in America wear rings. It is up to each to decide.
culture does not define the word of God. All throughout the Bible, rings and jewelry are associated with sin and paganism.

Isa 3:16 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:
Isa 3:17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.
Isa 3:18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,
Isa 3:19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,
Isa 3:20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,
Isa 3:21 The rings, and nose jewels,
Simply a poor and incomplete and inaccurate assessment of scripture and out of context interpretations and skewed personal opinions.
N HIM, Really? Where is the SDA church official position on rings apart from what the Bible teaches?Our position is the Bible position. Not yours or anyone elses opinion
Hello friend! Your opinions and faith in Christ is much valued by me. However, it pains me to say that because of criticisms and personal attacks that seem to be on the increase on this site, I will not be responding in any manner to such posts except to repeat this message. This also means I will not return in kind what may be directed at me. May we all continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ who has also lovingly given us this compelling message through His servant, the prophet Ellen G. White:

“There is no hope for the success of any religious organization where criticism is cherished as a fine art, and called spiritual discernment. Men might far better be blind to others' faults than to be inspired by that keen, detective spirit that will watch for defects in those whom the Lord loves, and through whom He works. We all need to humble ourselves, not to have an exalted idea of self”. . . . {UL 28.2}
Apparently ... they didn't include the Billiter Amendment in this report. Well ... you would THINK there must be a Billiter Amendment the way Billiter is talking.
The official position of the church IS also the position of the Bible. There we agree.
Why must we go on and on about things like this? It's a little piece of metal. No sensible person will reject God because people in our church are wearing One. Little. Piece. Of. Metal.
Hello friend! Your opinions and faith in Christ is much valued by me. However, it pains me to say that because of criticisms and personal attacks that seem to be on the increase on this site, I will not be responding in any manner to such posts except to repeat this message. This also means I will not return in kind what may be directed at me. May we all continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ who has also lovingly given us this compelling message through His servant, the prophet Ellen G. White:

“There is no hope for the success of any religious organization where criticism is cherished as a fine art, and called spiritual discernment. Men might far better be blind to others' faults than to be inspired by that keen, detective spirit that will watch for defects in those whom the Lord loves, and through whom He works. We all need to humble ourselves, not to have an exalted idea of self”. . . . {UL 28.2}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service