Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, India is a hindu dominated country, wherein, wedding sign is must and we do get married with a wedding sign like ring, or a chain. So how can we go about with the wedding?
When the culture demands it, wear it :-)

Mark
What if your culture is pot smokin' . Do we conform to culture? What if your culture has women pastors ... God forbid.
MarkT is talking about wearing something, not killing yourself. Pot smoking is not even in the same boat.

Conforming to culture is what Joseph did when Pharaoh put that stuff on him. In my humble opinion, if someone else puts it on you to be a sign (even if it is a sign of being married) then it is not us seeking outward adornment for ourselves. It is for the other person, not for us.

Do you suppose that Joseph chose the fine linen too, or was it something he did for his God? Our Bible tells us that God will bring glory on us if we follow Him. Are we to refuse what He sends if it is something we feel is not right? Aren't we bring dishonor on God if we do?

If your spouse wants to put a ring on your finger to honor you (and your commitment to each other) why is that considered bad?
Hmmmm, watch tv. What does the majority of the world wear? Watch a USA Sunday preacher on tv. See if you can count how many rings he has on his fingers. Oh the Pope. He likes people to kiss his ring. Is the Pope a Godly man or a worldly man?
What evidence does one have that the Pope is a 'worldly' man?
I don't think I can say the pope is "worldly"... but, I have no problem adding he and his followers are "idolatrous". Jewelry was, is often associated w/ that too. Wearing it also leads to pride of self, not somewhere we're supposed to go.
I don't think I'd say all of that lol. This individual... well I have nothing positive to say about what they did. To me, they just either didn't have much of an understanding of whose who, or did but didn't believe in it much. Representative or not, just one person to me. Even if they were a group, I'd say overall Adventists are distinct enough from the 1st day churches. I would hope so anyway lol.
All of us are idolatrous to some degree but with perhaps different areas. Do you know of anyone who does not have self pride?
Yeah, with different aspects I know many of us either place something b4 God or mess up somewhere else. We can't keep the whole law on our own.

As for self pride, thats something people may stumble in here and there, but a constant effort should be made. Its possible. Wearing jewelry doesn't help.
You said we can't keep the whole law and that is SO true ...

"Since we are sinful, unholy, we cannot perfectly obey the holy law. We have no righteousness of our own with which to meet the claims of the law of God. But Christ has made a way of escape for us. He lived on earth amid trials and temptations such as we have to meet. He lived a sinless life. He died for us, and now He offers to take our sins and give us His righteousness. If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned."Ellen White CSA 30 ...

Yes. That said ...
"If you give yourself to Him, and accept Him as your Saviour, then, sinful as your life may have been, for His sake you are accounted righteous. Christ’s character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned." Ellen White CSA 30
But we can keep the whole law in Christ.

You are not quoting Ellen White fully.

Mark

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com