Adventist Online

Is it not an ornament ? how about a 3000- 5000 U$ worth a wedding ring. Do we still glorify God with this?

Views: 4969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Meat eating, jewels, wine is neither discouraged out right or encouraged, the hard and fast rule on the topic comes from us, not the bible. It was part of biblical culture take them for what they are and not turn it into some great evil which seems to be folks intent.
Ok, how about this for wine?

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, It is not for kings to drink wine, Nor for princes intoxicating drink; Proverbs 31:4

I see no need to keep going, this is crystal clear on that one. One down.

"Flesh was never the best food; but its use is now doubly objectionable, since disease in animals is so rapidly increasing. Those who use flesh foods little know what they are eating. Often if they could see the animals when living and know the quality of the meat they eat, they would turn from it with loathing. People are continually eating flesh that is filled with tuberculous and cancerous germs. Tuberculosis, cancer, and other fatal diseases are thus communicated. " Ministry of Healing p.313 2nd paragraph think it is.. (ok not in the Bible you may argue, well theres other threads with enough verses)

... and for jewels... I found this on amazing facts.. I hope all find it useful as well.

"14. What are Jesus' principles of conduct regarding clothing and jewelry?

Answer:
A. Dress modestly
. See 1 Timothy 2:9. Remember that the world is brought into our lives through the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:16). Immodest dress involves all three and is off-limits for a Christian.

B. Lay ornaments and jewelry aside. "Pride of life" is the big problem here. Jesus' followers should look different. Their appearance witnesses and sends light to others (Matthew 5:16). Jewelry draws attention to and exalts self. In the Bible, it is a symbol of backsliding and apostasy. When Jacob and his family rededicated their lives to the Lord, they buried their jewelry in the earth (Genesis 35:1, 2, 4). When the Israelites were about to enter the promised land, the Lord commanded them to remove their ornaments (Exodus 33:5, 6). In Isaiah chapter 3, God clearly says that in wearing jewelry (bracelets, rings, earrings, etc. as listed in verses 19-23), His people were sinning (verse 9). In Hosea 2:13, the Lord says that when Israel forsook Him, they began to wear jewelry. In 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3, Paul and Peter both inform us that God's people will not adorn themselves with gold, pearls, and costly array. Please notice that Peter and Paul did speak of the ornaments God wants His people to wear: "A meek and quiet spirit" (1 Peter 3:4) and "good works" (1 Timothy 2:10). Jesus sums it up by symbolizing His true church in Revelation 12:1 as a pure woman clothed with the sun (Jesus' brightness and righteousness) and the apostate church as a harlot bedecked with gold, precious stones, and pearls (Revelation 17:3, 4). God asks His people to separate from Babylon (Revelation 18:2-4) and all it stands for--including the jewels that draw attention to self--and instead clothe themselves with the righteousness of Jesus. When we fall in love with Jesus, it is a sheer joy and pleasure to live His lifestyle."
Amazing Facts is not my Saviour so does not decide how I live my life. I would not expect AF to say anything different, do you expect the Republicans to promote the Democratic party manifesto lol
No, their not. However they know the Bible very well, and offer some good guides on many topics. Their source is the same as yours or mine, the Bible. I see this as good advice. Some will follow, some will not. I see a good case for putting jewelry aside though. Its hard not to see it.
So about jewelry, I think that Q&A from Amazing facts (posted above) is very on point. Does anyone have an answer to that, or will we ignore it and pretend its not there? Or how about this, can we read it, see how clear it is, and agree for once on this not too hard to understand topic.
I prefer the one that I posted on the next page myself. There is always going to be more than one way to look at an issue. Bottom line .... it don't have much to do with salvation. Let each person do as the Spirit directs them personally. And believe me ... that will be different from one saint to another.
Why do yo u prefer the other one? I suppose it is clear too, but is the one above not clear? Does it really leave any room for doubt?

Yes, each person will do as the Spirit directs him /her. I know many will still choose to wear jewelry, I'm not trying to offend, or condemn, or belittle, or call them any less closer to God, if it seems that way sorry. I do not see how a christian can really promote it at all either though, I do believe the above is as clear as anyone can possibly be. Although I wish we could all agree, I understand and accept that we may not. I don't want it to seem like I think I'm any better by not wearing jewelry, I get the feeling some may assume that. I just very feel strongly convinced about it, and feel a need to share what I know, as you have. Thats all.
Jose .... as I indicated earlier today... I greatly respect you and in no way feel you are offending or condemning or belittling. Sorry if I gave that impression. Now ... there is one other recent poster who I might not want to be quite so gracious towards. But you ... hey ... you are cool.

Yes. I think both sides can be clear on this issue. There is good evidence for all kinds of beliefs. One just has to pick the one that appears to be most reasonable. Then when we get to heaven we can be reprogramed.

I am not about to be so bold as to claim I am right about ANYthing. I always hold out that my interpretation could be wrong. But yes ... both sides of most issues can be very clear to see if you put yourself in their shoes.
BTW ... I don't wear ANY kind of jewelry.
Cool, well I wanted to say I wasn't trying to belittle etc just in case. I had seen those comments made b4, not necessarily by you, but no name was attached. It could be me, maybe not, I really don't know but, on the possibility I wanted to say that part, as a just in case. I'm glad you don't think I'm trying to impose myself like that. And yes, I had caught that from an earlier post, thanks. Can say the same for you.. You seem to remain respectful even when ppl don't share your same point of view.. Thats not always easy.

Right now, personally speaking, I see one side more clearly than another, although I have seen a few interesting points by the side I don't particular agree with. Its good to know those, too. New info equals new decisions, right?
Actually all they have done is pick out the texts that seemingly support their position - cherry picking, how is that any different from someone who believes Sunday is the Sabbath doing the same thing? To imply all folks that wear jewelry are dressed immodestly is a real stretch. A flashy car driven to church can draw attention to oneself but we don't tell members not to drive cars. Peter also mentioned the wearing of garments and hair ordornments as well yet we don't stretch the texts to say don't wear garments or not to dress ones hair - we take 1 plus 3 and make it 2

"Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
This is what the texts say so why pick on jewelry only but ignore clothes and hair ? It does not say do not wear these things its says ones beauty does not come from these things.

If you had a pretty daughter would you teach her that she should try to look as ugly as possible since true beauty is not on looks alone? Of course not yet that is how we treat the subject of jewerly. We use a hammer to crack a peanut.....
"It is not for kings, O Lemuel, It is not for kings to drink wine, Nor for princes intoxicating drink; Proverbs 31:4

I see no need to keep going, this is crystal clear on that one. One down."

Read verse 6, 'Give beer to those who ar perishing and wine to those who are in anguish'. When you quote the bible quote the whole thing please not just the bits that fit your pov.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service