Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have attempted to discuss these things with Jack many times.He will not debate with one who is opposed to his theology. How do you expect me to ask Jack if my statement are true, and when he says no, I'm supposed to just blindly accept that?

Those who teach error are always defeated by the truth of God's word. They will avoid those who can prove them wrong.
Show us the exact quotes where Mr. Sequeria says that we can have what you call "cheap grace" and that we will never change our actions after we have been justified? I've looked and I haven't found them. So without that, the whole premise of this post is based on a false assumption of what you THINK his belief is. But where does he say that?

Read Shay's post just above. (Link here) That post summarizes what Jack Sequeria is saying from my study of his books. And that is NOT what you keep saying Jack believes. You even said "nice post shay"... but then why is it so hard for you to understand what Jack is saying. It seems you would rather argue against a straw man of what you WANT to say Jack is saying.

I see this behavior as something we should avoid. So did EGW as quoted below:

"If a brother differs with you on some points of truth, do not stoop to ridicule, do not place him in a false light or misconstrue his words, making sport of them; do not misinterpret his words and wrest them of their true meaning. This is not conscientious argument Do not present him before others as a heretic, when you have not with him investigated his positions, taking the Scriptures text-by-text in the Spirit of Christ to show him what is truth. You do not yourself really know the evidence he has for his faith, and you cannot clearly define your own position. Take your Bible, and in a kindly spirit weigh every argument that he presents, and show him by the Scripture if he is in error. When you do this without unkind feelings, you will do only that which is your duty and the duty of every minister of Christ." (EGW to G.I. Butler, Letter 21, 1888 [October 14], The Ellen G. White 1888 Materials 1:98)

As for your specific behavior that break our rules... really? You have held you behavior up to the Site Rules and Guidelines and found that you followed them perfectly? You found that your spirit was the spirit described in the basis for our rules? I haven't found that to be the case.
Clark, Ive already presented Biblical evidence that Sequeria is off the mark. He does not teach confession of sin, repentance and keeping the commandments, Why don't you prove he does?
I'vwe already shown his pantheism, universal justification error, and more.

Your EGW quote does not apply to me.

"If a brother differs with you on some points of truth, do not stoop to ridicule, do not place him in a false light or misconstrue his words, making sport of them; do not misinterpret his words and wrest them of their true meaning. This is not conscientious argument Do not present him before others as a heretic, when you have not with him investigated his positions, taking the Scriptures text-by-text in the Spirit of Christ to show him what is truth.

I have not ridiculed or placed him in a false light, nor misconstrued his words. Someone being in serious error is far different than EGW's description of "differs with you on some points of truth"

(Jack Sequeria, Beyond Belief)

2. Universal/Particular. “In Christ,” all humanity was redeemed — legally justified and reconciled to God [see Romans 5:18; 2 Corinthians 5:18-19; 1 Timothy 4:10; Titus 2:11; 1 John 2:2]. “Christ in you” applies only to believers who have by faith experienced the new birth [see John 3:16; Romans 8:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:17-20; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; 6:14-16; 1 Timothy 4:10].

Why don't you explain to me Clark how the whole world is legally justified and reconciled to God?
I never said Sequeria quoted "cheap grace" I apply that term as an overall view concerning his theology.
Clark, it is everyone's job to decide according to scripture what is truth or error, is it not? If we don't know, we can search for the answer or remain neutral.

2Ti 2:15 Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase to more ungodliness.

Are we to be like the Bereans or not? Did they know what was truth or error?

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Just like the Bereans checked Paul's theology, when Jack Sequeria came to my church teaching and selling his books, I checked his theology. I found it very disturbing.

I would agree that it may be better just to say I believe that or he is in error, rather than "he is." I am absolutely sure of my position based on many years of Bible and SOP study and commitment, if not, I would not have started this post. I believe the saints or potential saints need to be warned about certain things. All are free to make up their own minds.
N HIm, if you say they are lies, why don't you prove it. Are we to accept your word without solid Bible references? I will be more than happy to invite him to this forum to prove himself right, from the Bible and EGW. I would welcome that would you?
ALL ministers should be challenged if they misrepresent the Bible. God is no respecter of persons. He does not countenance error.
Jack Sequeria, Beyond Belief.

“For example, we discover that when Christ died to sin on the cross, we also died there in Him”

We did? I guess that means we died for our own sins and we do not need a savior. The Bible and the writings of Ellen White do not make a statement that says this. This is way too much of a stretch of Bible truth for me.Sure sounds like pantheism as well.
their is too much of catholic work creeping into what we as Advents have written.
From the writters and even our own Hymnal.
Here are two rules from this site and my comments:

5.Only rebut issues, NOT the people who write them. Do not negatively characterize others' positions or beliefs with your own value judgment. Simply state how you think the belief is wrong and what you believe the true interpretation is, while giving your basis for your belief.

I have posted excerpts from “Beyond Belief” by Jack Sequeria along with Biblical proof that this book contains errors, no one has yet on this site offered ANY Biblical proof to show that I am wrong. Instead some have attacked me personally. Why? Because that is the only option available to defend Sequeria’s book, which has no Biblical defense. I have given comparisons of Sequeria's book, "Beyond Belief" with the pertinent Bible texts that show the error that I see. If someone thinks it is not error but truth, then present your case using Biblical proofs, as well as Ellen White quotes that are within the context. Are we seeking truth here as another rule on this site says? Then I suggest we adhere to good Biblical exegesis and put away the character assassinations.Travis did bring up a valid point in which I agreed.

9.Adventist Online is not a place to state your beliefs without accountability for their Biblical and/or Spirit of Prophecy basis. Do not stop the open exchange of ideas and the search for His truth by deleting comments to your blog entries, videos, etc.

Accountability exists in the entire SDA church. What did Jesus say?

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

A study of the parable of the wheat and the tares will show that tares will be in the church until Christ comes. Tares are not limited to the laity, they are also pastors, conference presidents, and other church officers. Tares are unconverted. Some will be deceived into a counterfeit salvation, and there are many variations. There are some identifying characteristics that will apply, among those are: repentance-this is the very heart of the gospel.

Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Since a tare will be unconverted or backslidden, there will be no repentance in the life. Sometimes it is because it simply has been rejected. Some will have a Godly demeanor of sorts and believe they have complied with the conditions, but there has been only a nominal acceptance, no real change has taken place and these will think they are right with God. The state of the Laodicean church confirms this truth.

Another identifying ,mark is the lack of sanctification. No tare will be undergoing the work of sanctification in the life. Why? Because there is no real conversion. Those who have not confessed their sins and repented are not converted and will have no change in the life. Therefore there is no corresponding desire to let God mold the character after His own. False teachers will deny sanctification as well as negating the commandments in subtle ways.

In these last days just before the close of probation, false teachers are abounding. Never has there been in the history of the world so many false winds of doctrines blowing through the Adventist church. No one is safe from the effects of errors without a solid commitment to Christ, and prolific study habits that include copious amounts of the Spirit of Prophecy. Those church members and officers who remain in Laodicea are in danger of being snared and taken by the devil who goes about as a roaring lion to seek whom he may devour. Satan hates Sabbath keepers above all others.

If anyone preaches things in the church that are unbiblical, that person should be challenged. That goes double for those who have written books claiming that it is the “real gospel” or such as that. Satan attacks the gospel directly and indirectly ;he can only drag those persons into the flames with him who remain unconverted.

Truth matters, we are saved by the truth, errors that are clung to can destroy the soul for eternity. This is no game.The works of the devil in whatever form they come, should be exposed to save some from the snare.

Teach Steps in Conversion

Ministers need to have a more clear, simple manner in presenting the truth as it is in Jesus. Their own minds need to comprehend the great plan of salvation more fully. Then they can carry the minds of the hearers away from earthly things to the spiritual and eternal. There are many who want to know what they must do to be saved. They want a plain and clear explanation of the steps requisite in conversion, and there should not a sermon be given unless a portion of that discourse is to especially make plain the way that sinners may come to Christ and be saved. They should point them to Christ, as did John, and with touching simplicity, their hearts aglow with the love of Christ, say, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." Strong and earnest appeals should be made to the sinner to repent and be converted. {1SM 157.1}

Those who neglect this part of the work need to be converted themselves before venturing to give a discourse. Those whose hearts are filled with the love of Jesus, with the precious truths of His Word, will be able to draw from the treasure house of God things new and old. They will not find time to relate anecdotes; they will not strain to become orators, soaring so high that they cannot carry the people with them; but in simple language, with touching earnestness, they will present the truth as it is in Jesus.-- The Review and Herald, Feb. 22, 1887. {1SM 157.2}

A Call for Old-fashioned Sermons

A new order of things has come into the ministry. There is a desire to pattern after other churches, and simplicity and humility are almost unknown. The young ministers
seek to be original, and to introduce new ideas and new plans for labor. Some open revival meetings, and by this means call large numbers into the church. But when the excitement is over, where are the converted ones? Repentance and confession of sin are not seen. The sinner is entreated to believe in Christ and accept Him, without regard to his past life of sin and rebellion. The heart is not broken. There is no contrition of soul. The supposed converted ones have not fallen upon the Rock, Christ Jesus. {2SM 18.4}

The Old and New Testament Scriptures show us the only way in which this work should be done. Repent, repent, repent was the message rung out by John the Baptist in the wilderness. Christ's message to the people was "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:5). And the apostles were commanded to preach everywhere that men should repent. {2SM 19.1}

The Lord desires His servants today to preach the old gospel doctrine, sorrow for sin, repentance, and confession. We want old-fashioned sermons, old-fashioned customs, old-fashioned fathers and mothers in Israel. The sinner must be labored for, perseveringly, earnestly, wisely, until he shall see that he is a transgressor of God's law, and shall exercise repentance toward God, and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ--Undated manuscript 111. {2SM 19.2}
Some say Jack Sequeria promotes Ellen White, I say he does not!
http://www.sdadefend.com/MINDEX-S/J-Sequerawm-501-506.pdf
Another method, found to be very effective, is to downgrade
the Spirit of Prophecy as of little importance. This
can be done in a variety of ways. A person can declare
that someone else wrote part or all of the Spirit of Prophecy
books. Or it can be said that the Spirit of Prophecy
should not be used for doctrinal purposes.
That is the method used by Desmond Ford and the
new theology. That is the method used by Jack Sequeira
also.
In a sermon delivered at the Walla Walla Church, entitled
“Issues: The Spirit of Prophecy,” Jack used 1 Corinthians
14:1-5 as his expository text, and explained to students
and faculty why it was important to set the Spirit of
Prophecy back in the shade, so it would not interfere with
effective doctrinal analysis. Here is a sample statement
from that sermon:
Jack: “How should we use the writings of Ellen
G. White on [sic. in] the pulpit? Well, I have some
statements from her. Okay, let me read it to you. I have
all these [sic.] quotations. I normally don't take along
all this stuff, but I want you to get it from the horse's
mouth.’’
Sequeira appears to have a somewhat uncouth manner
of presentation. We had hoped for better things from
him. In addition, we note that he appears almost offended
at having to bring a Spirit of Prophecy quotation into the
pulpit. But that was the point of that entire ''doctrinal sermon
on the Spirit of Prophecy: to explain to the students
why they must not use the Spirit of Prophecy whenever
they speak to another. So, then should our ministers use
the Spirit of Prophecy? A very important question. Let us
see how Jack answers it:
Jack: “We have misused her until the young
people of this country are sick and tired of Ellen G.
White. We have used her as a hammer.’’
That introduction to the subject is not likely to encourage
the young people in attendance at the college to
read very much in the precious Spirit of Prophecy writings.
One individual who lives in the Walla Walla area and
has heard many of Sequeira's sermons, made this comment:
“Jack takes statements from Mrs. E.G. White's writings
to prove that you are not to use the Testimonies as a
reason or authority or explanation of your beliefs. He says,
Do not quote Ellen G. White; the Bible and the Bible only;
or read the greater light, not the lesser light. He says,
How do we interpret her visions? [and then replies] In the
majority of cases, God revealed truth by symbolic languages.
So what she says is not what you read—it is just
symbolic of what I [Jack] believe she means.”
In that particular sermon, Sequeira went on to explain
that Ellen White categorically taught that no one is
ever to use or refer to her writings; they are only to use
the Bible.
That makes it easier for Sequeira to carry on his work.
Here are two Spirit of Prophecy sentences he quoted to
support that:
“Do not quote my words again as long as you live . .
Do not repeat what I have said.”—3 Selected Messages,
“Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has
given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater
light.”—Colporteur Evangelist, 37.
Repeatedly, the above two sentences have been used
by false teachers to support their insistence that the Spirit
of Prophecy not be used to check the correctness of their
assertions.
The 3 Selected Messages statement (Manuscript 43,
1901) was made by Ellen White in a board meeting with
certain church leaders. She was indignant at their intransigent
refusal to obey basic principles, but instead try to
weasel nefarious policies into action. She never made
that statement for print to our people. She said it to a
hypocritical gathering of men. It should never have been
published. Read the footnote on that page. Our church
leaders were deeply upset that she had returned from
Australia, and did not want to hear anything she had to
say.
What does God do when men no longer want to hear
His word? He takes an understanding of it from them! We
are discussing steps on the way to the final sin against
the Holy Spirit! God takes the Word from them. Yet
Sequeira wants the students to take it from themselves.
Beware lest you send you children to such a school!
That same evening just after her return from Australia,
as taken down in shorthand (Manuscript 43, 1901),
Ellen White also told them this:
“God has told me that my testimony must be borne
to this conference, and that I must not try to make
men believe it. My work is to leave the truth with the
people, and those who appreciate the light from
Heaven will accept the truth.’’—Manuscript 43, 1901
(see 3SM 33, footnote).
Although those men that night did not want to give
proper regard to the Spirit of Prophecy, yet the God of
heaven commissioned her to continue speaking to others.
In her words and writings, God has constantly tested
His people. Those who do not accept these vital counsels,
or ignore them, are but pounding another nail in
their own coffins.

Jack Sequeira has had an influence in our church far
beyond his pastoral duties to the students, faculty, and
village folk in College Place and Walla Walla, Washington.
(More recently, Sequeira was transferred to the
Potomic Conference.) In his sermons, he openly boasts
that he is in so demand by conference presidents. He
explains that he frequently receives calls from them to
hold ministerial retreats in order to teach the ministers
the importance of not using the Spirit of Prophecy in their
work.
He has, in addition, the unusual distinction of being
It's very simple:

"The words of the Bible, and the Bible alone, should be heard from the pulpit" Ellen White (Prophets and Kings, p. 626).

"The words of the Bible, and the Bible alone, should be echoed from the pulpits of our land. This book is God's great director. It is a lamp to our feet, a light to our path. It flashes its light ahead, that we may see the path by which we are traveling; and its rays are thrown back on past history, showing the most perfect harmony in that which, to the mind in darkness, appears like error and discord. In that which seems to the worldling an inexplicable mystery, God's children see light and beauty." Ellen White in RH, February 6, 1900 par. 10
whats your point? Ellen White is not going to say "teach my writings from the pulpit" prophets must be humble. The best teachings I have heard are those that present The Bible and the SOP in harmony together from the pulpit in SDA churches only. What then occurs is that the Bible is brought out better, it's truths shine the more.

It may not be as simple as you think.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by