Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You said:

"His is a Universal reconcilation, ours is a subjective or personal reconciliation."

There is no Universal reconciliation, there is only the personal that is driven by the free will as you said before.The Universal is a Sequeria error.

Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came on all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came on all men to justification of life.

This is one of the main verse that Sequeria gets confused on.

All men do not have the free gift of justification, or redemption or reconciliation. We must accept it willfully, and freely.

The gift was provided to the world.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

It says "whoever."

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

We are justified by faith, does the whole world have faith?

By the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. Romans 5:18. {AG 179.1}

Money cannot buy it, intellect cannot grasp it, power cannot command it; but to all who will accept it, God's glorious grace is freely given. But men may feel their need, and, renouncing all self-dependence, accept salvation as a gift. Those who enter heaven will not scale its walls by their own righteousness, nor will its gates be opened to them for costly offerings of gold or silver, but they will gain an entrance to the many mansions of the Father's house through the merits of the cross of Christ. {AG 179.2}
For sinful men, the highest consolation, the greatest cause of rejoicing, is that Heaven has given Jesus to be the sinner's Saviour. . . . He offered to go over the ground where Adam stumbled and fell; to meet the tempter on the field of battle, and conquer him in man's behalf. Behold Him in the wilderness of temptation. Forty days and forty nights He fasted, enduring the fiercest assaults of the powers of darkness. He trod the "winepress alone; and of the people there was none with" Him (Isaiah 63:3). It was not for Himself, but that He might break the chain that held the human race in slavery to Satan. {AG 179.3}
As Christ in His humanity sought strength from His Father, that He might be enabled to endure trial and temptation, so are we to do. We are to follow the example of the sinless Son of God. Daily we need help and grace and power from the Source of all power. We are to cast our helpless souls upon the One who is ready to help us in every time of need. Too often we forget the Lord. Self gives way to impulse, and we lose the victories that we should gain. {AG 179.4}
If we are overcome let us not delay to repent, and to accept the pardon that will place us on vantage ground. If we repent and believe, the cleansing power from God will be ours. His saving grace is freely offered. His pardon is given to all who will receive it. . . . Over every sinner that repents the angels of God rejoice with songs of joy. Not one sinner need be lost. Full and free is the gift of saving grace. {AG 179.5}

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. Romans 5:18. {TDG 326.1}

In much of the service professedly done for God, there is self-emulation and self-exultation. God hates pretense. When men and women receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, they will confess their sins, and, pardon, which means justification, will be given them. But the wisdom of the human agents who are not penitent, not humbled, is not to be depended on, for they are blinded in regard to the meaning of righteousness and sanctification through the truth. When men are stripped of self-righteousness, they will see their spiritual poverty. Then they will approach that state of brotherly kindness that will show that they are in sympathy with Christ. They will be able to appreciate the high and elevated character of the work of Christian missions. . . . {TDG 326.2}
Many are readily satisfied with offering the Lord trifling acts of service. Their Christianity is feeble. Christ gave Himself for sinners. With what anxiety for the salvation of souls we should be filled as we see human beings perishing in sin. These souls have been bought with a price. {TDG 326.3}
The death of the Son of God on Calvary's cross is the measure of their value. Day by day they are deciding a question of life and death, deciding whether they will have eternal life or eternal destruction. And yet men and women professing to serve the Lord are content to occupy their time and attention with matters of little importance. They are content to be at variance with one another. If they were consecrated to the work of the Master, they would not be striving and contending like a family of unruly children. Every hand would be engaged in service. Everyone would be standing at his post of duty, working with heart and soul as missionaries of the cross of Christ. The Spirit of Christ would abide in the hearts of laborers, and works of righteousness would be wrought. The workers would carry with them into their service the sympathies and prayers of an awakened church. They would receive their orders from Christ, and would find no time for contention or strife.--Letter 173, Nov. 13, 1902, to those assembled in council at Battle Creek. {TDG 326.4}
Excellent. Right on sister. What you have said is SO true. Thank you for this post. All we can do is to pray for Stephen. He has to allow the Holy Spirit to work in Him ... we can do that for him.

And yes ... Jack is such a wonderful minister of God for our church. God has blessed his ministry for a reason.
WOW, here you act all sanctimonious and just a few minutes before this you say:

Reply by N Him 1 hour ago
Billiter ... you are sick. Please have a little more respect for those that differ from you.

What manner of spirit are you?
Mary, No you keep dodging the issue. So this "debate" is over.Ellen G. White refuted all errors. We are not to enter into useless controversy. At some point I must shake off the dust and go.You cannot prove Sequeria right from the Bible. Neither can he.

You have NOT spoken directly to his Universal Justification error proving from SCRIPTURE he is right. It is the Bible that is our doctrine, not opinions of men or women.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
How is believing what Jack Sequeria says any different from believing in what Kevin Paulsen says? I wouldn't dismiss an idea because it was "conservative" or "liberal" but on the basis of truth. If it agrees with the Bible, then it's good. Perhaps if instead of trashing either scholar, we could study the doctrine of salvation, justification and sanctification, for ourselves from the Bible alone.

Jesus said that whoever believes in Him has everlasting life. That's it. He also said that if you love Him you will keep His commandments. That is, if you believe in Him you are saved (or justified), and if you love Him (which you must do after believing in Him, therefore after being saved), you will keep His commandments. So Jesus taught that obedience is the result of a saving relationship with God.

I can see how these basic facts can fit into "both" (since I haven't read either book, I don't know how far apart their beliefs really are and how much is misunderstandings of each other) viewpoints. If we can agree on the basic, necessary details of salvation, that's a good starting point for studying the science of salvation together, even if we may disagree on details. But I would hope that you recognize that anyone who believes in the basic message of salvation that was outlined above is saved, even if they see the details differently than you do.
Excellent Point Travis. I agree very much.
Travis, sounds to me like you are shooting in the dark.
you said:
"So Jesus taught that obedience is the result of a saving relationship with God".He did? Where? Give solid references please.
Obedience should be always present from the start.At no place in the Christian life is it absent.

Mat 11:28 Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

This is a command and an invitation. If we obey, we accept Jesus, the first step.

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

we obey the gospel, or we don't. Obedience is much more than keeping the commandments. I cannot say if anyone is converted or not. But we do know them by their fruits. You will not ever find a clear salvation message by Sequeria. He does not teach confession of sin, or repentance. Nor does he teach to keep the commandments. So he is omitting vital parts of the gospel, and he is adding his twisted theology as well.
Your comment about ascertaining truth by studying these topics from a scriptural vantage point Travis is well taken. I don't think it helps to put folks into categories and then quickly dismiss on the basis of category. It really is more complex. But that said, I do think it important to note that we only have salvation as we choose to retain Jesus as Lord of our lives. If He never is, it doesn't really matter how much one knows or believes. He can only transform if He has our heart.
I hope I made it clear in my post that I meant that one has to actually experience salvation and not just know about it. I may be misunderstanding you though.

I do agree. It doesn't matter if we know that God can transform us if we don't let Him.
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
{"It doesn't matter if we know that God can transform us if we don't let Him."} You hit the nail on the head Travis. That is precisely my point but some have labelled this notion diabolical, the idea that God not only forgives but transforms which ultimately leads to a completed work.

"These are they which follow the Lamb withoserver He goeth ....And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God." Rev 14: 4,5

Just think about it: If you were planting a garden, I think you would want things to ripen and mature. They are only useful that way. That is the goal the gardener has in mind so he lovingly and daily cares for the plants knowing that one day, the fruit of his labors will appear and he will be rewarded and satisfied. sml.

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2
That's a good point about the garden. It fits with the allegory of God as a gardener.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service