Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ew... I thought we were anti-meat here. :yuck:

8D Just kidding. I agree.
some interesting thoughts from the Spirit of Prophesy ... RH 1,14 1902 title?

Perfect Service required!!

Everything that God could do was done to save a perishing world. "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." God has made it impossible for it to be said that He could have done more than He has done for the fallen race. When He gave His Son, He gave himself. In one great gift He poured out the whole treasure of heaven. He has revealed a love that defies all computation, a love that should fill our hearts and lives with gratitude. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 1}
Christ loves human beings, and He died to save them. At an infinite price He ransomed them from the power of the enemy. He invites them to become members of the royal family, children of the heavenly King. He desires to see them prepared to receive the crown of life. He longs to bestow on them the eternal riches. He came to restore in them the image of divinity. He calls upon those who have accepted Him to join Him in this work. He has chosen us as His instruments. By us He desires to carry out His merciful purposes. He says, You are laborers together with me. Shall we not cooperate with Him in His great plan, working earnestly to save His blood-bought heritage? {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 2}
He has given us grand and solemn truths to impart to those who are in darkness. Let us not mar these truths by imperfect utterance. God has given us voices that we may speak His truth. He desires that the music of the voice shall aid in impressing His word upon minds. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 3}

Those who open the oracles of God to the people should improve in their manner of communicating the truth, that it may be presented to the world in an acceptable way. Place proper emphasis upon the words that should be made impressive. Speak slowly. Let the voice be as musical as possible. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 5}
God desires His ministers to seek for perfection, that they may be vessels unto honor. They are to be controlled by the Holy Spirit; and when they speak, they are to show an energy proportionate to the importance of the subject they are presenting. They are to show that the power about which they speak has made a change in their lives. When they are truly united with Christ, they will give the heavenly invitation with an earnestness that will impress hearts. As they manifest zeal in proclaiming the gospel message, a corresponding earnestness will be produced in the hearers, and lasting impressions for good will be made. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 6}
The greater the influence of the truth upon us, the greater will be our earnestness in seeking for perfection in our manner of imparting truth. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 7}
Sin brings physical and spiritual disease and weakness. Christ has made it possible for us to free ourselves from this curse. The Lord promises, by the medium of truth, to renovate the soul. The Holy Spirit will make all who are willing to be educated able to communicate the truth with power. It will renew every organ of the body, that God's servants may work acceptably and successfully. Vitality increases under the influence of the Spirit's action. Let us, then, by this power lift ourselves into a higher, holier atmosphere, that we may do well our appointed work. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 8}
By constant obedience those who are born again are fitted for service. The entire being is to be placed under the molding, fashioning hand of God, that physical, mental, and spiritual perfection may be attained. Christians are to grow to the full stature of men and women in Christ. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 9}
The Lord desires His servants to improve in their manner of praying. He inquires, Where is the vivifying influence of your prayers? He does not accept the tame, lifeless, lengthy prayers, which are so destitute of His Spirit. He calls for a reformation, else He will remove the candlestick out of its place. He desires the candle to burn brightly, sending forth light to all parts of the world. When the Church turns fully to the Lord, lifeless, spiritless prayers will no more be heard. {RH, January 14, 1902 par. 10}
Excellent article. And so completely in agreement with Sequeria, too.
I must admit that I am not familiar with the writings of Sequeria, but I am familiar with the writings of Jones and Waggoner. They have a beautiful message of "righeousness by faith."

"And when you go from this place, Oh be so full of the message that it is like fire shut up in your bones, that you cannot hold your peace. It is true men will say, "You are too excited; you are making too much of this matter, and you do not think enough of the law; now, you must think more of the law; don't be all the time reaching for this righteousness of Christ, but build up the law."

Let the law take care of itself. We have been at work on the law until we get as dry as the hills of Gilboa, without dew or rain. Let us trust in the merits of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. May God help us that our eyes may be anointed with eyesalve, that we may see. God helping us, we will draw nigh to Him, and He says he will draw nigh to us. Do we believe? Will we come in God's appointed way? May the Lord help us and enlighten us, that we may go forth from this place as they went forth to proclaim the truth after the day of Pentecost; and there were souls converted; they could not resist the testimony." {1888 557.2}

The end is near. We have not a moment to lose. Light is to shine forth from God's people in clear, distinct rays, bringing Jesus before the churches and before the world. God will give additional light, and old truths will be recovered and replaced in the framework of truth; and wherever the laborers go they will triumph. As Christ's ambassadors, they are to search the Scriptures to seek for the truths that have been hidden beneath the rubbish of error, and every ray of light received is to be communicated to others. One interest will prevail, one subject will swallow up all others, Christ our Righteousness.” (Paulson Collection – 342)

"The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Waggoner and Jones. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. ...All power is given into His hands, that He may dispense rich gifts unto men, imparting the priceless gift of His own righteousness to the helpless human agent. This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel's message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure. {TM 91.2}
No Teresa. I think you said it better than has been said before. Each person here can add their own personal touch. And I like what you have done to the topic. Excellent. Thank you. And I think Jack would agree.
HI my dear sister .... thanks for the comment ... I do realize that there is a difference betwen faith plus works ...and faith that works .... the Law in ten commandments .... a representation of the Love and true character of Jehova... and it's importance of how we look at them .... are we looking with rapt attention ?
Is Jesus the center of our lives .... ? there is a difference in what you just said and and the statement that you need do nothing ...or you can do nothing for nothing is required ...it is already done at the cross ... there is indeed a preperation for the final sealing and the times agead of us ...we must learn to trust fully in the God of heaven and must be ready for his soon coming .... Thanks and God Bless You ...
You both know and said that we must work ... for the master .... and our characters must be perfected before He comes ... Ilove the text in 1 thes ... that says " Faithful is He who calleth you ..who will also do it!!
Hi everyone I tried to run a query on the previous statment on the d rom library an couln't brng it up ...(that dsn't mean it's not there ...) wouldlike to know where you found it thanks Teresa...
look what I found .....this is a portion of a letter to AT Jones from EG White ... .in regards to some subjects we here are discussing and the way we present things and statements we may use in explaining the truth as we understand it ...Ok ...read and enjoy ..thanks TL ....

Chap. 17 - Faith and Works

Counsel to a Leading Minister on the Presentation of the Relation of Faith and Works

PORTION OF A LETTER TO A. T. JONES, APRIL 9, 1893, LETTER 44, 1893. PUBLISHED IN SELECTED MESSAGES, BOOK ONE, PP. 377-379.

I was attending a meeting, and a large congregation were present. In my dream you were presenting the subject of faith and the imputed righteousness of Christ by faith. You repeated several times that works amounted to nothing, that there were no conditions. The matter was presented in that light that I knew minds would be confused and would not receive the correct impression in reference to faith and works, and I decided to write to you. You state this matter too strongly. There are conditions to our receiving justification and sanctification, and the righteousness of Christ. I know your meaning, but you leave a wrong impression upon many minds. While good works will not save even one soul, yet it is impossible for even one soul to be saved without good works. God saves us under a law, that we must ask if we would receive, seek if we would find, and knock if we would have the door opened unto us. {FW 111.1}
Christ offers Himself as willing to save unto the uttermost all who come unto Him. He invites all to come to Him. "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6:37). You look in reality upon these subjects as I do, yet you make these subjects, through your expressions, confusing to minds. And after you have expressed your mind radically in regard to works, when questions are asked you upon this very subject, it is not lying out in so very clear lines in your own mind, and you cannot define the correct principles to other minds, and you are
yourself unable to make your statements harmonize with your own principles and faith. {FW 111.2}
The young man came to Jesus with the question, "Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17). And Christ saith unto him, "Why callest thou Me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." He said unto Him, "Which?" Jesus quoted several, and the young man said unto Him, "All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?" Jesus said unto him, "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me." Here are conditions, and the Bible is full of conditions. "But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions" (Matthew 19:17, 20, 21, 22). {FW 112.1}

Points to Guard

Then when you say there are no conditions, and some expressions are made quite broad, you burden the minds, and some cannot see consistency in your expressions. They cannot see how they can harmonize these expressions with the plain statements of the Word of God. Please guard these points. These strong assertions in regard to works never make our position any stronger. The expressions weaken our position, for there are many who will consider you an extremist and will lose the rich lessons you have for them upon the very subjects they need to know. . . . My brother, it is hard for the mind to comprehend this point, and do not confuse any mind with ideas that will not harmonize with the Word. Please consider that under the teaching of Christ many of the disciples were lamentably ignorant; but when the Holy Spirit that Jesus promised came upon them and made the vacillating Peter the champion of faith, what a transformation in his character! But do not lay one pebble, for a soul that is weak in the faith to stumble over, in overwrought presentations or expressions. Be
ever consistent, calm, deep, and solid. Do not go to any extreme in anything, but keep your feet on solid rock. O precious, precious Saviour. "He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him" (John 14:21). {FW 112.2}
This is the true test--the doing of the words of Christ. And it is the evidence of the human agent's love to Jesus, and he that doeth His will giveth to the world the practical evidence of the fruit he manifests in obedience, in purity, and in holiness of character. . . . {FW 113.1}
O my brother, walk carefully with God. But remember that there are some whose eyes are intently fixed upon you, expecting that you will overreach the mark and stumble and fall. But if you keep in humility close to Jesus, all is well. . . . {FW 113.2}
There is no place in the school of Christ where we graduate. We are to work on the plan of addition, and the Lord will work on the plan of multiplication. It is through constant diligence that we will, through the grace of Christ, live on the plan of addition, making our calling and election sure. . . . "For if ye do these things ye shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" ( 2 Peter 1:10, 11). {FW 113.3}
God Bless You...!!

BROTHER TNE SEND VIDEO MESSAGE OF 3 PREACHING ANGELES IN THE STREETS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ1HH170BAk&list=UUtlX1kdPE4hBwA...

FROM MARK POZO , EMAIL  MARCOPOZOPRIVADO@YAHOO.ES  O 

MARKPOZO@YAHOO.ES

WANT TO HAVE FRIENDS Adventists, IN OTHER COUNTRIES, I AM OF SANTIAGO DE CHILE, GOD BLESS YOU

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Bemme..., dont be so confuse read this it takes time...

sometimes you read some theological scholars makes the mind of members crowded.. read adventist research institute site, sda defend and sda.org..

it never been faith plus work equals salvation, the church  never teach that, sanctification is the fruit another aspect of salvation which believers bare fruit from his/her faith the good works which sanctify them from the work of the HOLY SPIRIT.

https://adventistbiblicalresearch.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Bemme..., dont be so confuse read this it takes time...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service