Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never met any straw man like that.
exactly, cheap grace to just believe and do nothing. We work out our own salvation, not sit on our duffs and do nothing.
Trouble is ... that does not save you. And if you are having to work hard at it ... it ain't from God. My yoke is easy and my burden is light.
If Jesus himself prayed for strength to do the Father's will, do you think that it would be effortless for you? It will certainly be easier if one is responding to the promptings of God's Spirit. This is where He says my yoke is easy, meaning that the two yoked together going in the same direction, doing the same things will yield the desired results. But just imagine two yoked together and one always wanting to go in the other direction. Doesn't make for much progress or an easy time of it at all. In fact, He just won't go along. For can one serve two masters?
you completely miss the point, sin is a hard taskmaster, thats what Christ means.The Christian walk is discipline and self denial, and very narrow. It is not broad and liberal.But we also have joy and happiness in the Lord because of what he has done.

Mat 7:13 Enter you in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads to life, and few there be that find it.
"...one can never be the same if yielded to the process." YES. But it is still "Christ's robe of righteousness" that covers us and makes us "perfect" in God's sight, not we ourselves. Sanctification is an ongoing process, but we will always need Jesus - if we didn't, then some of us would have never needed a Saviour.
Thank you.... That's the truth....If we understand the sacrifice of Christ we will never be the same.... The truth will set us free. If we are working for our salvation that means its not a free Gift from God...
Amen brothers and sisters.
God does not do a delete of current software so to speak and a reload of original on the hard drive at His coming. As pointed out, the work of perfecting character will need to be completed before He shows up. And remember He is on His way........... He will never over rule free will. It was for this that Christ died, to give us back the ability to say no to the Devil consistently, by His Spirit. Undoubtedly, this is a process, but it will be complete for us to stand without an intercessor just before Jesus comes. We are not simply trying to imitate Christ as I understand it, we are led by His Spirit. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Romans 8:14

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is. And every man that hath this hope in Him purifieth Himself, even as He is pure.

Little children, let no man decieve you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous. He that commiteth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil." I John 3:2,3

One other thought. Would you want a God that would save you as you are? Would the heavenly forums be any less tumultuous than the earthly ones? lol Wouldn't you want a God that through a loving relationship could make you as He designed you to be? Whether there was a heaven or not, that would in and of itself be an incredibe gift! Why ever settle for living beneath your purpose when each life could accomplish so much more......lifting the collective awareness of mankind from the dregs of Satan's coffers to the freedom of new life!
Good points shay, God is able to transform us!
I'm ready to be saved. I am saved.
We are saved by Jesus, not by our works. Our characters are in process, but the only Perfect person on this earth is Jesus. If we are perfect, we do not need a Saviour. The "perfect" would go with Jesus, and the rest of us would be left, confessed sin not withstanding - because we have been sinners. We are made new when Jesus comes.

If we receive new limbs having been disabled, are we not to receive a new mind, too? How about the mentally ill, and those who do not have control over their actions (Tourets Syndrome comes to mind) (sp?) Jesus is our Saviour and Healer.

This does not mean license to sin. It means sins will be forgiven and we will be healed (no, I don't mean once saved always saved, or universal salvation).

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service