Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Why not just take the man and his writings at his word ... as he writes .... instead of interjecting your poison?"

In my search for truth, I have rejected many writers and teachers because it is plain they do not serve the interests of Christ. If you accept Sequeria as legitimate, that is your business. However please do not attempt to suggest that I follow blindly in your footsteps.
Just keep your poison to yourself. Stop the slander and misrepresentation of others.

"Satan has his agents everywhere, and the sad thing is, they don't even know it!" Stephen Billiter 10-25-09
4. Meritorious/Demonstrative. Righteousness “in Christ” is the only means of our salvation and, unless we resist and reject it, it fully qualifies us for heaven both now and in the judgment. (Jack Sequeria)
He also ties "resist and reject" to his Universal Justification error.

We can also lose our salvation by neglect, Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

The qualifications for heaven is “righteousness by faith”but he is leaving out the commandments, and how they qualify us for heaven

The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders [E.J.] Waggoner and [A. T.] Jones. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. {LDE 200.1} (Ellen White, Last day events
)
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

God says here, that if we are not a commandment keeping people, we will not enter heaven. So when Sequeria says righteousness in Christ is our only qualification for heaven, he “forgot” about the commandments. Nowhere does he exalt the law of God as it should be. To him, and Wieland, that is legalism.
"If the downside of the idea of corporate oneness is that we all fell in the one man, Adam, the glorious upside of the idea is that God likewise has redeemed all of us in the one man, Jesus Christ, who is the “second Adam” [see Romans 5:12-21; 1 Corinthians 15:19-23; 45-49]. God has legally justified all mankind in Christ just as surely as Satan has brought about the condemnation of all mankind in Adam [see Romans 5:18] ( Beyond Belief)

Here is Universal Justification again. Not only that, but because the world inherited a sinful nature from Adam, he tries to stretch that into the whole world being justified by Christ. Where does the Bible say this?
It is true that keeping the law is not a requirement, as in legalism. (Eph. 2:8)

The plan of salvation is to bring us back to that state of holiness that man needs even though he may not always recognize it and thinks or believes he needs it. Wanting it is also compelling to consider.

Pro 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more to the perfect day.

We know that sanctification starts us on that journey to righteousness, and of course before that, we are justified freely by His grace as we accept Christ and are born again.

Then we: "hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."(Mat 5:6 )

Since we love Jesus so much, because He first loved us, we want to obey His every word.

John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

Then later, the apostle whom "Jesus loved" expounds on this further:

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

And of course an identifying characteristic of the true remnant church is: "here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." (Rev 14:12)

Finally, we receive the seal of God as we have the character of the Father written in our minds.

Rev 14:1 And I looked, and, see, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads
We are judged by the ten commandments. Keeping them is our qualifications for heaven, it proves we are fit and worthy for the society of unfallen beings and to stand in the presence of God who lives in light unapproachable.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

"No fornicator, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God." Ephesians 5:5, A.R.V. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14. "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." Revelation 22:14, 15. {GC 541.1}
God has given to men a declaration of His character and of His method of dealing with sin. "The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty." Exodus 34:6, 7. "All the wicked will He destroy." "The transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off." Psalm 145:20; 37:38. The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. {GC 541.2}
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. {GC 541.3}
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God
executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}
Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests? {GC 542.1}
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation
were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. {GC 542.2}
Excellent post. Three Thumbs Up.
Jesus Said , Be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect ...

Jude: 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen.
4:11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do [it].
14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

5:17 Pray without ceasing.
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
5:24 Faithful [is] he that calleth you, who also will do [it].
There is a mixture of these statements ... in the scriiptures which will lead some to think ther is a contradiction in the statements but when honestly taken in one will learn that there is no such thing ...while we are saved by Grace ...lest any man should boast... God will never presume the willing or the doing ... But remenber it is the power of God unto salvation .... if we are freed form captivity and we chose not to leave ...we are only to blame ..... and the test in the end will be under the direst contempt and coersion and force if possible .... nothing but pure trust in the Devine and the power of the Holy Spirit that human beings can so this ... How else can this be explained ... is God able to perfect us ? if we are willing ? one of the big issues I keep hearing is regarding the ability of the beings to keep the Law or not / perfecting holiness ...is the commandment arbitrary / unfair ? and many say it is at the second coming ... in effect ...sin doesn't matter so much cause you will bechanged at the sound of the trump / you jwill sin until Jsus comes ...and the Spirit of Prophesy teaches that it is here during probationary time and will not be then ... overcoming sin is here and now ... by the Grace of God .... Sequara says evidently it's at the second coming of Jesus and not now .... He says these things in broken disjointed statements ... I am concerned for honest people being confused when we cannot some how come to agreement on such things as it seperates us from each other and puts us at odds with each other and satan exaults cause of the confusion and appearent disunity of His (the Fathers ) children and consequently He (Jesus/ Our Father ) is/are taunted for this ...
Thank you MsMS. Yes, that site is such a blessing.
Amen, Mary, amen!
What are you saying the commandment is asking that is different that what you just said ?
Galations 5: 23 But the friuts of the spirit are these ... Love joy peace etc ... against such there is no Law ...

and He that saith he loveth God and keepeth not the commandents is a liar ... etc ...

I say what is required in loving God and our Brother is the same and many seem to wish to believe that there is a difference .... !! when there is none .... You cannot truly Love and not keep the commandments of God .... for He is Love ..... and by their friuts ye shall know them
Rom 3:10-11 " As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God."

Rom 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight"
What does this mean I now have to sin to be righteous ? If I respond to the sprit in word and action than I am a legalist ? the Bible indeed teaches that that the law is binding and has claims .... and we have not not just a privalege but a duty to our God and fllow man to do and teach the truth ... we owe it to them by th price payed on calvery ..... if we Love Him we will sek ot please Him .... if for .... God is Love ... therefore Lov eis the fulfilling !! of the Law....
Mattew 11 : 28-30 says com eunto m all ye who labor adn ar eheavy laden and I will give you rest... I am not saying we are saved by our works .... Iam saying that if there is no change in the life the rest is just nothing .... dad faith with out works of any kind except for maybe sin .... the strength here in dliverence is not with man ... it rests with God in His son ... but don't say there no rquiremnt at all except the sacrifice of Jesus and it is finished at the cross ... we must honor Him both in word and action .... He willl also do it ...! .
John put it this way ...
Hereby do we know that we know him if we keep his commandments and they are not grievous.!! they defign in ten breif words .... Love as written by the Creator of it .... if w love we do kep the commandents it [Love] is the fullfiling of the law ... it [Love] is th gift of God....

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service