Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think we need to take the Bible as a whole and not pick some here and some there. It all blends beautifully together when understood properly. And God's Grace and His Robe of Mercy stands on top of all.
That is what is being done here ... You cannot quote the whole of the scriptures here only pertinent statements together showing it' beuty and how it flows together ...
The Bible says here a little there a little line upon line line upon line ... You can take apart any thing if you want ... .the question is are we honest enough to respond to the call of God ...? and will we rise to the standard of the high calling of Jesus .... I 'm not here to argue or take sides ... or call names I present what I understand as the truth .... I see this all the time, the words are presented together so we can see them side by side ... and I hope i don't have to quote the whole of the Bible to show you what it means.... I perposely included more than just what I needed cause I will make it clear that I'm not just making these texts to say what I want it to ... obviously if I wanted the easy way out i would just say it is finishd at the cross and all we need to do is say we accept Jesus as our Savior .... but Jesus himself in the gospels sets the standard of righteousness ... and it's not hard to come up with excuses saying you'll sin until Jesus comes and the like ... if He cannot point ot our true repentance and see a change in our lives Satan is to be the winner ... !! The robe in Revelation on the Bride is pure and white ....with out spot or wrinkle or any such thing ... it is given ...freely ... but she must maintain it and not by constantly defiling it .... By God's Grace .. I could weary my self with words but won't ..for this is not about my wisdom but God's and is only to be in simplicity and power .... the power of a changed life in Jesus .I believe our appreciation and love for what Jesus did for us should lead us to want to be faithful to him ... and that is not easy .... I read the stories of the true believers in history and witness what they suffered and ... wonder how we can look so lightly on what he paid as to think we will just walk in to heaven by a word with out any sacrificing of self .... works must accompany faith ..as it says in the whole of the 3rd 4th chapters of Hebrews .. harden not your hearts as in th provocation ....and because not being mixed with faith .... God refused them to entr in to his rest ...
I pray for the unity that Jesus Prayed for as states in John 17, keep them in thy truth , thy word is truth .... Isaiah 8: 19 , 20 . " Unto the Law and the Testimiony if it b not according to this word it is because there is no light in them ...
"but Jesus himself in the gospels sets the standard of righteousness"

Yes, we cannot live up to it. Even if I never committed another act of sin in my life, even with God having taken my sinful nature away, that cannot pardon me for my past sins, and I'm still not eligible for heaven unless Jesus took my punishment by dying my death.

.".. and it's not hard to come up with excuses saying you'll sin until Jesus comes and the like ... if He cannot point ot our true repentance and see a change in our lives Satan is to be the winner ... !!"

Whether or not I sin until Jesus comes is irrelevant if I am still under the condemnation of my past sins.

" The robe in Revelation on the Bride is pure and white ....with out spot or wrinkle or any such thing ... it is given ...freely ... but she must maintain it and not by constantly defiling it"

Do you mean to say that we can defile Christ's righteousness?
Excellent points there Travis. Very Good. I agree.
What don't you undrstand abour the word "not" and th emaintenance of a pur eand spotless robe/Character .... Jesus gave us in his life his rightwousness
to wear ...and to do that we must live it to our best abilites .... and because of his life the propitiation for our sins... our endeavors to honor and glorify him can be accepted .... and as our understanding is increased so our lives must change ... for we must follow in His steps ...
I'm not saying that w are saved solely by the works of the flesh or the law .. for all are indeed sinners from our youth .... but faith must produce work ... a change in the heart .... manifest by works / in the life .... once you are free from sin why should we any longer live therein .....are we dead to sin when free to it's bondage ? on more question ? does he have all your choices ?
The works of the flesh .... the flesh! will not seek after God ... but some do ... not cause of self but because of Jesus .... it is a gift .... !! Is the Law against the promise ? Nay but it is the promise ... the act ...the thought .... the the habits ...which make up the moral character ....
To receive Christ is to receive salvation. When we love someone, don't we try to please him/her? We don't obey to obtain perfection, we obey because we love the Lord who saved us. "Works" will not save us, but a life lived for Jesus is a manifistation of our love for Him. Not because it will get us to Heaven.
Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. Thisis not to say we hav no need of repentance and forgiveness but as we live and learn we must grow and not remain the same ... He changes .... By beholding we become changed into his likeness from victory to victory .or glory to glory.... Glory is chatacter.... we shall be like him ... for we shall see him as he is .... Amen ?
1 John 3:2 " Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. "
"So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained." [AA 560]

Gal 2:16 " Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. "

" So there are many who hope by their own works to merit God's favor. They do not realize their helplessness. They do not accept the grace of God as a free gift, but are trying to build themselves up in self-righteousness. Their own hearts are not broken and humbled on account of sin, and they are exacting and unforgiving toward others. Their own sins against God, compared with their brother's sins against them, are as ten thousand talents to one hundred pence--nearly one million to one; yet they dare to be unforgiving." COL 245

"Many are constantly questioning, "Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before Him with burnt-offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil?" But "He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:6-8. " COL 210

"So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection. " DA 357
Yes. This is really good news. Only from God.
"By God’s miraculous act, initiated and carried out by Him alone, He united in one person — Jesus Christ — our corporate humanity that needed redeeming with His own perfect divine nature. At His incarnation, Christ assumed the corporate life of the entire human race in its fallen condition [see 1 Corinthians 1:30]." (Beyond Belief, by Jack Sequeria)

He says here we were actually in Christ when He was incarnated as a human child. This is some sort of strange pantheism. The Bible does not say this, nor does Ellen White. Lets see what his reference actually says:

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Who is Paul speaking of?

1Co 1:26 For you see your calling, brothers, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

He is speaking to his brethren. He is not speaking of the whole world. Sequeria is making a very irresponsible use of this text. Not good exegesis.

Its true Christ died for the whole human race and Sequeria would be better off using this text and staying away from this"corporate" business that borders on pantheism,

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service