Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Praise God. We are making progress.
that's right Ian,. cheap grace abounds. Thats why many Adventist pastors were flocking to Rick Warrens Saddle back Church to learn his growth methods. Instead of calling others out of Babylon, they go right back into it.
You mean there are actually things you don't know, Nhim?
You are right Slyvia in thinking we will be changed in the twinkling of an eye for this mortal shall put on immortality and the dead shall be raised incorruptible for "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God: neither doth corruption inherit incorruption." (I Cor 15:31, 50,52,58) What is being suggested is that our imperfect characters will be magically changed. But the Word says that corruption cannot inherit incorruption. God does not somehow over rule our thought process and our will; He does direct them if we let Him.

So we will be changed physically but character will be the one thing we take from this life to the next which will have been perfected by the Father through a heart surrendered and a will alligned with His own. (EGW may have said something about this, I'm not sure) Seems though there are examples, Enoch being one. Paul says, "I die daily."
"The understanding of the people of God has been blinded, for Satan has misrepresented the character of God. Our good and gracious Lord has been presented before the people clothed in the attributes of Satan, and men and women who have been seeking for truth, have so long regarded God in a false light that it is difficult to dispel the cloud that obscures His glory from their view. Many have been living in an atmosphere of doubt, and it seems almost impossible for them to lay hold on the hope set before them in the gospel of Christ." 1 S.M.355.

Our church clearly rejected the legalist treachings that we can somehow merit salvation by our works. This was fully accomplished in 1957. If some of you want to restore the old basis of legalism ... perhaps you could start up a new denomination.

"Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God." {5BC 1132.8}

So I will be your representative in heaven. The Father beholds not your faulty character, but He sees you as clothed in My perfection. I am the medium through which Heaven's blessings shall come to you. And everyone who confesses Me by sharing My sacrifice for the lost shall be confessed as a sharer in the glory and joy of the redeemed." DA 357

"The law demands righteousness, and this the sinner owes to the law; but he is incapable of rendering it. The only way in which he can attain to righteousness is through faith. By faith he can bring to God the merits of Christ, and the Lord places the obedience of His Son to the sinner's account. Christ's righteousness is accepted in place of man's failure, and God receives, pardons, justifies, the repentant, believing soul, treats him as though he were righteous, and loves him as He loves His Son. This is how faith is accounted righteousness; and the pardoned soul goes on from grace to grace, from light to a greater light. He can say with rejoicing, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life" (Titus 3:5-7)." 1SM 367

"Christ's character stands in place of your character, and you are accepted before God just as if you had not sinned." SC 62

"We are not to be anxious about what Christ and God think of us, but about what God thinks of Christ, our Substitute. Ye are accepted in the Beloved." 2SM 33
We know all this, but there is grace and works, faith and law.No one will be in heaven who tramples on the commandments, period.We need a Savior because we have transgressed then law.We are redeemed from sin, not in it!

The only hope of any man lies through Jesus Christ. . . . The pure and holy garments are not prepared to be put on by any one after he has entered the gate of the city. All who enter will have on the robe of Christ's righteousness, and the name of God will be seen in their foreheads. This name is the symbol which the apostle saw in vision, and signifies the yielding of the mind to intelligent and loyal obedience to all of God's commandments. {SD 370.2}
Praise God we are saved IN our sins. If we had to come to Christ spotless and pure ... none of us would be saved. He came to forgive. We are to come to him as we are ... SINNERS. It would serve NO purpose to come to him AFTER we are without sin. NO. We are saved IN our sins. THEN He points us to a better way of life. But that is the work of a lifetime and beyond. It does not save us. No matter how much we allow Christ to perform in our lives ... it does not contribute to our salvation. Our salvation is based totally on the blood of Jesus and what he did two thousand years ago.
No, the meaning is that we don't remain in sin. Otherwise, yes you are correct, we come as we are. I may have caused a misunderstanding, which I don't want to do.
Jesus saves us but doesn't leave us where He finds us. We will always need Him. Sanctification is the amazing result of having been with Him. And though it is HIS sacrifice that saves us, He not only saves us while in sin but removes them from us if we'll let Him. See the earlier post about the garden.

Your avatar Nhim gives an apt illustration. When Jesus goes looking for the the lost sheep, the sheep is obviously in no condition to find His way home. He doesn't know the way home, so He is found outside of the fold. But does the Shepherd leave Him there? Of course not! What does the Shepherd do? carries him home, cleans and bandages his wounds, provides food and drink and perhaps places him in an area where he won't be jostled or made to do more than he is able until he is well. The point is, one is never the same after encountering the Savior.
Never the same. True. But without sin? No. The sin remains. That is what is called the work of a lifetime and more. I haven't met anyone who had the work of sanctification completed. NO. We continue to sin. But God does work on each of us. But he works differently with each person.
I can sense that some of Ptr Jack statements are compromising based on the references presented by Steve. I don't have a copy of his book but I hope He has a clear explanations of his theological views consistent with the Bible that will answers all doubts his readers might see.

However, if he really has a diffirent view of the gospel than what the Bible explains, then let us just ignore his views that are compromising and apprecite those that are really helpful in our spiritual growth. Maybe not all what was said in his book opposes the Bible or maybe not all was consistent either. But Ptr Jack is not a perfect person, he just like us who are still growing in the grace of Christ. He may make mistakes just like us and he even may make mistakes about his Biblical views in his book. But its up for us to evaluate his views, take those helpful in our understading the Bible and leave those that seems inconsistent with the Scriptures. We don't know his motive in writing that particuar book but as far I am concerned he is a faithful believer of the gospel and I dont see any anything that he is making efforts to discredit the Bible and the SDA Church. We are always reminded that the Bible is the ONLY rule our of faith and practice...Most of all it cannot be "Beyond Belief".
Wild, I would not downplay the seriousness of Sequeria's false gospel. You make assumptions that are not verified. His theology is an abomination. The unconverted and liberals love it, because it is a fake do-nothing easy, cheap-grace salvation, which if followed, is no salvation.These two errors are only the trip of the iceberg, he has multiple errors. Pantheism will be one I will bring up soon.He interprets the Bible according to his own ideas, drawing disciples after himself.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service