Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Again Wild, I don't think Sequeria has anything good to offer at all. His errors far outweigh the few truths he writes of. He constitutes an extremely polluted well.Why go there at all?

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel to you than that you have received, let him be accursed.
ERROR # 3: “Justification means all of Christ’s righteousness that he provided for us so that nothing more is required of us to qualify us for heaven” (Jack Sequeria, “Beyond Belief”, P. 103)
Omission is a dangerous thing. It’s not what he says so much as what he doesn’t say. We must take all that the Bible says about salvation, not just one part. Again, he omits keeping the commandments, and sanctification.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
John 17:17 Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.
Bible Sanctification
2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Sequeria tramples on the commandments and Bible sanctification.
Must he mention sanctification in every sentence?
who? Travis, me or Sequeria. If you think that sanctification is not needed, or fully granted at acceptance like justification is, I recommend serious study. In the EGW book "The Sanctified Life", the Holy Spirit makes sanctification very clear.
Sequeria. If I was talking about you, then I would have used the word "you". I understand the important of sanctification. I was addressing the fact that you were taking a quote from Sequeria and implying that the rest of his works emphasized sanctification as little as that one quote did.
Travis, what does it matter? Sequieria negated sanctification in one sentence. Even if he later gave the correct teaching, (which he does not) he would still be contradictory and more confusing).
How did he negate sanctification? Unless you believe that sanctification qualifies us for heaven (meaning that we are saved by sanctification), I don't see any problem with that statement.

But you will most likely say (or at least think to yourself) that I must be worldly and/or unsanctified to say such things.
No Travis, we all understand different things at different levels. You probably know more than I did when I was in my twenties

Remember the first quote?

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25 Jack Sequeria)

The Bible says faith without works is dead, faith cannot stand alone. I could write you a book of 300 pages of all Bible and EGW quotes that proves we have to have sanctification for salvation, it is absolutely necessary. It transforms our sinful human character into a Christlike one, which is the one we need to enter the kingdom of God.

In the above quote, Sequeria is calling good works and sanctification Roman Catholic legalism. There are two extremes in Christianity, liberalism and legalism. Both are fatal to the soul. So we need a balance.We need to understand that salvation is a free gift, we cannot earn it. But at the same time, obedience is required at every single step of the gospel.

Is we are converted, we should hunger and thirst for righteousness, we will love God's law and want to keep it. We should love to do right, and hate the wrong. That is not legalism, that is obeying the Lord. Without the ongoing refining process of sanctification, no one will see heaven. It's a matter of true conversion, have we surrendered all to Christ? have we repented of and confessed our sins to God? Has our whole outlook on life been changed? If so, we will work at sanctification. This is what it means to:

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Deu 8:3 ....man lives by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD does man live.
We are not saved at the moment of justification, but we can have the assurance of salvation and be free from fear as long as we continue in Christ

Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. .

These are the words of Christ Himself.
It might be a good idea to see how he defines "faith plus works" salvation:

"Salvation by faith plus works. This “gospel” is based on a combination of self-love and self-sacrificing love, i.e., we must first show by our good works that we want to be saved, then God will meet us halfway and save us. The “gospel” of faith plus works is at the heart of Roman Catholic theology; it is a subtle form of legalism."

http://www.jacksequeira.org/beyond02.htm
"We show by our good works that we want to be saved?" No. I disagree, we come to Christ just as we are.He is contradicting him self I believe. Salvation by partial works
Um... he's saying that he does NOT agree with this belief.
ok I misunderstood that part. He still denies the importance of sanctification and keeping the commandments.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service