Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"He still denies the importance of sanctification and keeping the commandments"

Please stop spreading these lies about him Stephen. He does not do as your attacks represent. I suggest writing to him and getting clarification before you attack the brethren. Your continued misrepresentation of him is very frustrating. Please abide by the rules established here.
VERY CONFUSING ERROR # 4

Jack Sequeria, "Beyond Belief"

"We can divide salvation into two related, but distinct, aspects. First, salvation is what God has already accomplished for all mankind in the life and death of Jesus. This salvation, Jesus said, is the good news, the gospel, and He commissioned His disciples to proclaim it to all the world [see Mark 16:15]. Paul often describes this salvation as you in Christ [see 1 Corinthians 1:30-31; Ephesians 1:3-6, 2:13; Philippians 3:9].

This salvation is an objective truth realized in the earthly history of Christ and, therefore, we can refer to it theologically as the objective gospel.

Second, Scripture also refers to salvation as what God accomplishes in us through the Holy Spirit. This aspect of salvation is not something in addition to the objective facts of the gospel. It is making real in experience what God has already accomplished for us objectively in Christ. This second phase of salvation may be described, then, as the fruits of the objective gospel. Paul often refers to it by the expression Christ in you [see Romans 8:10; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 3:17; Colossians 1:27].

It includes peace with God that comes as a result of justification by faith [see Romans 5:1; Acts 10:36; Colossians 1:20]; holiness of living and victory over sin through the process of sanctification by faith [see Romans 6:22; 2 Peter 1:5-7], and the changing of our sinful natures to sinless ones through the glorification to be realized at Christ’s second coming [see Romans 8:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:51-54; Philippians 3:20-21]. Since this second aspects of salvation has to do with our experience, it is often called the subjective gospel.
There are four main differences between the objective gospel (“you in Christ”) and the subjective gospel (“Christ in you”).
(Jack Sequeria, Beyond Belief)

Here he is dividing the gospel into subjective and objective parts, then he says there are 4 main differences! What is he saying here? The gospel is not as confusing as this! He also gives all these scripture quotes knowing very few people will actually look them up, not only thaqt, that are out of context!. Ellen White does not do this, she gives all of the text, not just the Chap./verse The use of these English terms here, Complete/incomplete, objective/subjective serves to confuse things even more. Can anyone really make sense of this confusion? Where is the real gospel?

Neither the Bible, nor the writings of Ellen White says anything like this. he is doing a good job of destroying the gospel.
Just because you don't understand it does not mean that it is not true. Obviously, he understand what he is saying. Should we get rid of Paul because his writings can be difficult to understand?
Sequeria is in error, Paul is not.
But your main criterion is that Sequeria is difficult to understand. That's no basis for deciding whether or not it's true.
No, I never said that. I said he confuses the issue by calling the gospel objective/subjective with 4 other subtitles. Please do not put words in my mouth and assign a position to me that is not true.I decide what is true or false according to this:

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
It sounds like what he is saying is that you are declared righteous (objective) throught the sacrifice of the Son. Then through the indwelling presence of the Spirit, Christ's rightousness is made a reality in your life (subjective). That's what I got from it. If that is true, then I do not disagree.
Shay, he has to have some truth to allow satan to use him for deception. Unless you go to the church of satan itself, he always uses a mixture of truth and error to deceive. Sequeria has a lot of error
VERY SERIOUS ERROR # 5 UNIVERSAL JUSTIFICATION

Jack Sequeria, “Beyond Belief
Universal/Particular. “In Christ,” all humanity was redeemed — legally justified and reconciled to God [see Romans 5:18; 2 Corinthians 5:18-19; 1 Timothy 4:10; Titus 2:11; 1 John 2:2]. “Christ in you” applies only to believers who have by faith experienced the new birth [see John 3:16; Romans 8:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:17-20; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; 6:14-16; 1 Timothy 4:10].

This error is extremely dangerous. He says ALL humanity was legally justified and reconciled to God. Wrong. We have to accept Christ by faith first. The whole world will never be justified.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Being justified by faith," he has "peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1. {AA 476.2}
But because this experience is his, the Christian is not therefore to fold his hands, content with that which has been accomplished for him. He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him. Each day he must renew his consecration, each day do battle with evil. Old habits, hereditary tendencies to wrong, will strive for the mastery, and against these he is to be ever on guard, striving in Christ's strength for victory. {AA 476.3}

Christ is "the Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6), and it is His mission to restore to earth and heaven the peace that sin has broken. "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 5:1. Whoever consents to renounce sin and open his heart to the love of Christ, becomes a partaker of this heavenly peace. {MB 27.2}
I don't know this author nor obviously have I read the book. But what I am getting from this is that salvation was accomplished for all through the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. However, only as we recieve that gift, can we experience the new birth which is the fruit of the indwelling Spirit, guiding our thoughts, impulses and desires.

Sort of like a meal, the food has been provided but if you do not eat, there is absolutely no nourishment to be gained simply by looking or believing that it is a good spread. If on the other hand you do eat, then there are changes that occur within the body to allow for strength and growth and the ability to protect against marauding organisms. sml. In other words, it has a definate impact on your immune system. That would be called "abiding in Christ", growing up in Him, being changed from glory to glory............
Michael,I already knew you would love Jack's book before you posted.
you said:

"Jack Sequeria is of course, absolutely correct when we says Adventists have adopted a theology of salvation closer to Rome than anything the reformers ever taught"

Sequeria is well known for casting discredit upon SDA pillars of faith. His statement is not true.It;s interesting Michael, you say things that are not backed up with solid references I see time and time again that some apply the apostasy of certain elements of Adventism to the entire church.

Here is the proof that you and Sequeria are off the mark:

10. The Experience of Salvation:(SDA fundamental belief #10)
In infinite love and mercy God made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him
we might be made the righteousness of God. Led by the Holy Spirit we sense our need,
acknowledge our sinfulness, repent of our transgressions, and exercise faith in Jesus as Lord
and Christ, as Substitute and Example. This faith which receives salvation comes through the
divine power of the Word and is the gift of God's grace. Through Christ we are justified,
adopted as God's sons and daughters, and delivered from the lordship of sin. Through the
Spirit we are born again and sanctified; the Spirit renews our minds, writes God's law of love in
our hearts, and we are given the power to live a holy life. Abiding in Him we become partakers
of the divine nature and have the assurance of salvation now and in the judgment. (2 Cor.
5:17-21; John 3:16; Gal. 1:4; 4:4-7; Titus 3:3-7; John 16:8; Gal. 3:13, 14; 1 Peter 2:21, 22;
Rom. 10:17; Luke 17:5; Mark 9:23, 24; Eph. 2:5-10; Rom. 3:21-26; Col. 1:13, 14; Rom.
8:14-17; Gal. 3:26; John 3:3-8; 1 Peter 1:23; Rom. 12:2; Heb. 8:7-12; Eze. 36:25-27; 2 Peter
1:3, 4; Rom. 8:1-4; 5:6-10.)

Where do you see a resemblance to Catholic theology regarding salvation? It is not here! Please correctly represent the Adventist prophetic movement. Catholics teach one must do all the sacraments and comply with their traditions to be saved, in direct opposition to Adventists and the Bible. You are saying the Adventist church is comparable to the beast of Rev. 13:1, and the little horn of Daniel 7, which is the papacy. I am not slandering Sequeria, but doing a Biblical expose of his very serious errors.

let me re-phrase that and say, I disagree with you and I believe your statement to be misapplied concerning the SDA church

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service