Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent. Well said. Thank you Mary. See ... you too can do a great job of giving a testimony for Jesus. Praise God. And yes ... I too "pity those who have a sin-based theology. " It is indeed a "travesty". But we are told that the Devil will present a counterfeit. And that countrefeit is that we can somehow obtain salvation on our own merits instead of the merits of Jesus. Yes ... a travesty.
Very Cool. And yes ... it is very hard to navigate this site. Even for us vets. It is very difficult to know who one is responding to and what post.
What One sees definitely depends on where you focus your gaze. It is also possible to miss something of import if you are looking in the wrong place. Again it is also possible to not see something clearly if it is combined with another element that obscures it's distinctive properties. Ok. The matter of righteousness by faith I think is about God's legal pardon, imputing to me the righteousness of Christ. (I have none of my own.) I don't think anyone here is saying that we have to work our way to heaven.

However I also think that the inevitable result of justification (legal pardon) is a changed life! The fact is, Jesus is the antidote for sin, (Praise God!) a fatal disease that all have inherited. The very real impact of recieiving Christ into my heart means that the sin problem goes into remission. "For this is my blood, (a transfusion takes places) of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." Matt 26:28, Mrk 1:4 " Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2: 38 , Heb 9:22

So what I am advocating is that while justification saves me, there is an ongoing righteousness that is being effected imperceptibly by the Holy Spirit working in me to will and to do according to His good pleasure. This too is a work of faith, recieving of His Spirit daily and following His lead. If one is the same as they were when the walk with Christ began, something is radically wrong. You cannot be in the presence of the Holy one without being changed unless of course your heart is unyielded. You cannot step into a river and not get wet! Christ came to restore in man the image of God and to make them impervious to the temptor's snare. Problem is the adverary provides a lethal mix of truth and error. But thankfully the elect will not be decieved. Of that we are assured.This is good news!

So to summarize. Christ presents His righteousness before the Father which silences the accuser and grants us acceptance in the beloved. But, the very real manifestation of that transaction, the evidence, (the invoice if you will sml.) will be a changed heart and life. Not because I am trying to earn salvation but because I am saved. The price of salvation exceeds the number of atoms in the universe- God paid for this with His very own life! Now if the branch is separated from the vine, it will wither and can bear no fruit. The One is the evidence of the other.

I like to keep things short and concise as my attention span is not geared to lengthy posts (lol), Forgive me if this isn't brief. I do try.
nice post shay, excellent Bible theology quite obviously coming from one who is experiencing the real thing! I know you will continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ! God Bless, Steve
Thanks Steve. I really think God wants to make us whole, not just get us a part of the way there.
It is very obvious that when Jesus comes into the life of a sinner ... that life is changed. It is not possible for it not to be. But that change does not save you in any fashion or form. The saved status happened with the blood of Jesus. You have just now accepted it.
I agree with that. I didn't say the change saves one, I said the change will happen if one is truly converted.Web are saved by the blood of Jesus, nothing else.Just like that old hymn says, "There is wonderful power in the blood."
ERROR # 5 PANTHEISM,

From the book "Beyond Belief" by Jack Sequeria.

"By God’s miraculous act, initiated and carried out by Him alone, He united in one person — Jesus Christ — our corporate humanity that needed redeeming with His own perfect divine nature. At His incarnation, Christ assumed the corporate life of the entire human race in its fallen condition" [see 1 Corinthians 1:30].

He says here we were actually in Christ when He was incarnated as a human child. This is Pantheism. The Bible does not say this, nor does Ellen White. Lets see what his reference actually says:

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
We are in Christ Jesus. That means we have the Holy Spirit. Jesus is our Lord, Savoir, Creator, and Friend. So how was I in Jesus at his incarnation when I was not born yet! More strange, weird teachings. This is way too much of a stretch for me!

Then he says:

"The entire human race is corporately one “in Him” just as we are one “in Adam.” What Jesus did, we have done, because we are corporately one in Him. Thus His life and death, which fully met the positive demands of God’s holy law as well as its justice, are considered to be our life and death also. “In Him,” we are justified because His life and ours were forever linked at the incarnation. This, in brief, is Paul’s “in Christ” motif. It is what constitutes the good news of the gospel [see Ephesians 1:3-12; 2:4-7].
Likewise, God can legally justify sinners because all humanity corporately obeyed the law in one Man, Jesus Christ — the second Adam. God made this possible by uniting His Son with the corporate life of the human race at the incarnation. This qualified Christ to be the second Adam and to be the legal Substitute for fallen humanity."

What he is saying here is really nuts. We did what Jesus has done? Because we are all in Him? Look at what he is really saying, By saying the “entire Human race” met the demands of God’s law, and His justice, and “in Him” we are justified, he just said the entire human race is saved!

Then he says “all humanity corporately obeyed the law in one man “more pantheism, again including the whole human race in salvation.

This is most assuredly very unbiblical. Nowhere in the Bible are there such teachings as this!
What Sequeria is actually teaching constitutes modern spiritualism. The description Ellen White gives in the GC fits his teachings perfectly. His theology appeals to the renewed heart because he subverts the real gospel. He keeps the commandments out of sight as well.

While it( modern spiritualism) formerly denounced Christ and the Bible, it now professes to accept both. But the Bible is interpreted in a manner that is pleasing to the unrenewed heart, while its solemn and vital truths are made of no effect. Love is dwelt upon as the chief attribute of God, but it is degraded to a weak sentimentalism, making little distinction between good and evil. God's justice, His denunciations of sin, the requirements of His holy law, is all kept out of sight. The people are taught to regard the Decalogue as a dead letter. Pleasing, bewitching fables captivate the senses and lead men to reject the Bible as the foundation of their faith. Christ is as verily denied as before; but Satan has so blinded the eyes of the people that the deception is not discerned. {GC 558.1}
Stephen,
You have tagged this discussion with the keyword "error". And how do you know this? You have again have set yourself up as the arbiter of what is right and what is wrong. That is not your job. You proceed to go on the offensive against Jack Sequeria. Your posts in this discussion tell how you disagree with Jack Sequeria. You then assume that anyone you do not agree with is in error. Disagreeing with him is fine. But I don't believe you have shown how he is wrong. You make broad statements about what he believes and says. I have not found those to be true representations of what he actually writes or believes. How can you state so definitively what he believes when that is not what is written in his books, etc? Defining the position of others and then disproving that position (as you defined it - NOT how the other person defined it) is called a straw man argument. It appears you are doing that here by interpreting Mr. Sequeria differently than he interprets himself. So disproving those false beliefs shows nothing... they don't appear to have been his beliefs from the start.

I have no issue with you disagreeing with others and advocating for your position. I do have a problem with the drops of poison and gall towards others that appears to be communicated in your posts. Please, for the sake of all, read the basis for our rules again. We added some more quotes that apply to you today. Read them here. Please focus your study of our rules on the spirit we are to maintain when opposing others.

God bless our study so that we may always be open to HIS truth.
Clark, I did not attack Sequeria's person. I clearly showed his exact quotes taken from his book, Beyond Belief. You appear be be saying that I misquoted Sequeria, I assure you I have not. If you say I have , then kindly post what. There are many false teachers in the world now especially in these end times. If you say Sequeria's theology is right, then I will disagree with you. God clearly wants us to study diligently to know the truth. If we know the truth we will also know what is error.

It would be most helpful to me if you would show me exactly where I have broken the rules.However, I will read them very carefully and make sure I am in compliance.

I disagree that I use "poison" and "gall" towards others. You have not provided examples. I always have an issue with those who speak of generalities without specifics.
To be responsible Stephen ... perhaps you could email Sequeria and ask him if your attacks are true. I can assure you they are not. This dedicated SDA pastor has dedicated his life to spreading ALL of the Adventist Fundamentals. So your attacks on him are totally false and without merit. You twist and misrepresent his writings. This needs to stop.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service