Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I prefer to follow what our prophet has instructed us to do.
Why would anyone decide to do otherwise N Him?
are you posting to yourself?
For those of you who are interested, my friend Pastor Kevin Paulsen has written an excellent review of Jack Sequeria's book, "Beyond Belief."

http://www.hopeint.org/xcartgold/home.php?cat=262&sort=orderby&...
See details Beyond Belief Reviewed
SKU: BEPK-BBRE
Bible student Kevin Paulson takes a deeper look at the gospel portrayed in Jack Sequiera’s book, Beyond Belief.

its NOT a compliment. 

What a dilemma! Are we saved by grace through faith or by works? Well, let us see what the Scriptures do say about this. Well, we know that Ephesians 2:8-9 seems fairly clear "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast". Now to give balance it is followed by "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them". So again the dilemma. It would be important to distinguish what we are talking about. If it is about salvation: there is only one act/deed/work that saves--Jesus' death/resurrection. This is difficult for some to swallow. Actually, this is why certain people do not like certain writers of the Scriptures. They think that Paul and James are against each other. Rather they are speaking the same breath but from different angles. They are fighting two different battles. Paul is fighting legalism while James is fighting "belief only" people. And there are dangers on both sides.

Problem one: we often don't understand the reason for God's law. They are to protect, especially relationships. Deuteronomy 6:24 seems fairly clear about this: "And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as at this day." Now the challenge we have is that we don't know what this includes. In those days it included everything in Torah. Now we understand that the sacrificial system was antitypified by Christ so those sacrificial laws are no longer relevant. But what about other laws. We hold some and lose others. We keep some of Leviticus 11, like unclean meats, but then throw away others like verse 32 till the end of the chapter. So what is "God's law" that we are supposed to keep? Is it the 10 commandments? Is it also some of these other laws? Is it also some standards that our church has set up (jewelry, vegetarianism)? Where does it end? This is the slippery slope with combining grace/faith with works when talking about salvation. Again, there is nothing/nobody that saves us except for God's great provisional sacrifice. Now does God want to transform us? Of course, because it is for our good. He wants to protect us from the enemy, just like we want to protect our children. But our transformation comes from being with him rather than focusing on any of our faults and trying to transform ourselves. (We hopefully remember that we are not the Holy Spirit)

By the way, since James was quoted "faith without works is dead" I would like to talk about this. We Adventists often don't look or understand the context. I believe wholeheartedly in this verse. But what this is talking about is not what we do on Sabbath, what we eat or what we wear. The context is "true religion": taking care of orphans, widows, etc. This is an extension of the judgment scene in Matthew 25:31-46. We aren't so much judged upon whether we have a piece of metal on our fingers rather if we have let Christ pour out of us to others by helping others who can't help themselves. Actually, concerning Sabbath observance, we often use Isaiah 58:13-14. The irony is that we don't read the whole chapter which gives it context. A true fast, which would be on the Sabbath, is to help others. It isn't talking about swimming versus hiking versus scuba diving.

This subject could be debated forever and I could write a lot but I will leave with one of my favorite quotes from Mrs. White concerning our focus.
A Work of the Heart.--There are many who try to correct the life of others by attacking what they consider are wrong habits. They go to those whom they think are in error, and point out their defects. They say, "You don't dress as you should." They try to pick off the ornaments, or whatever seems offensive, but they do not seek to fasten the mind to the truth. Those who seek to correct others should present the attractions of Jesus. They should talk of His love and compassion, present His example and sacrifice, reveal His Spirit, and they need not touch the subject of dress at all. There is no need to make the dress question the main point of your religion. There is something richer to speak of. Talk of Christ, and when the heart is converted, everything that is out of harmony with the Word of God will drop off. It is only labor in vain to pick leaves off a living tree. The leaves will reappear. The ax must be laid at the root of the tree, and then the leaves will fall off, never to return. {Ev 272.1}

If we point people to Jesus and His works, He will transform them.
Nice post Kent, thanks for your input. I think we are in basic agreement. The distinction between faith and works, grace and law, how obedience fits in, does not come without a good amount of study. Achieving the proper balance is important. Keeping the commandments is important, no one can trample upon them and presumptuously expect Jesus to pardon them without repentance and the overcoming of sin through Christ. Many think only at the coming of Jesus will they be given victory over sin.Christ longs to give us the victory now if we submit to him.

The gospel of good news was not to be interpreted as allowing men to live in continued rebellion against God by transgressing His just and holy law. Why cannot those who claim to understand the Scriptures, see that God's requirement under grace is just the same He made in Eden--perfect obedience to His law. In the judgment, God will ask those who profess to be Christians, Why did you claim to believe in My Son, and continue to transgress My law? Who required this at your hands--to trample upon My rules of righteousness? "Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams." The gospel of the New Testament is not the Old Testament standard lowered to meet the sinner and save him in his sins. God requires of all His subjects obedience, entire obedience to all His commandments. He demands now as ever perfect righteousness as the only title to heaven. Christ is our hope and our refuge. His righteousness is imputed only to the obedient. Let us accept it through faith, that the Father shall find in us no sin. But those who have trampled on the holy law will have no right to claim that righteousness. O that we might view the immensity of the plan of salvation as obedient children to all God's requirements, believing that we have peace
with God through Jesus Christ, our atoning sacrifice (RH Sept. 21, 1886)! {6BC 1072.8}
Good thoughts Kent.
It seems the key to success here is not to focus on perfect ion but on the perfect One. When He is in the heart, all other things are brought into alignment with the Father's will. He is eternal and all who abide in Him have life eternal.
ok, but the Lord does require of us perfection and holiness in our sphere.

None need fail of attaining, in his sphere, to perfection of Christian character. By the sacrifice of Christ, provision has been made for the believer to receive all things that pertain to life and godliness. God calls upon us to reach the standard of perfection and places before us the example of Christ's character. In His humanity, perfected by a life of constant resistance of evil, the Saviour showed that through co-operation with Divinity, human beings may in this life attain to perfection of character. This is God's assurance to us that we, too, may obtain complete victory.
{AA 531.2}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by