Adventist Online

Do the writings and theology of Jack Sequeria truly represent correct Bible doctrine, or is it something else again?

Here is one quote from Jack Sequerias book, “Beyond Belief.”

“The gospel of faith plus works, or justification plus sanctification, is at the heart of Roman Catholicism theology. It is a subtle form of legalism.” (p. 25)

That’s funny; this is not what the Bible teaches.

James 2:20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

He assigns two Bible doctrines to Roman Catholicism in one fell swoop.
He also denies the necessary lifelong work of sanctification, which is separate from justification.

By faith in Christ, and obedience to the law of God, we may be sanctified, and thus obtain a fitness for the society of holy angels and the white-robed redeemed ones in the kingdom of glory.
{RH, April 26, 1881 par.

Views: 1521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“Therefore as by the offense of one, judgement came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one, the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. Rom 5: 18

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Rom 6: 23

What do these verses mean? The author further clarifies, makes it really clear actually….. Reference: Chapter 6 of Romans (all of it!) explains righteousness by faith.

Vs 1. “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?

Vs 2. God forbid. How shall we that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Vs. 3 Know ye not, that as many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Vs. 4. Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death: ( I earlier referenced Paul as an example of one who had experienced this death when he says, “ I die daily”) that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we all should walk in newness of life.

Vs. 6 Knowing this that our old man (old lifestyle, loves, appetites, way of speaking, dress, interests, thinking etc.) is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Vs. 7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Vs. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.

Vs. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Vs. 13 Neither yield ye your members (body, mind or spirit) as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin; but yield yourselves unto God, as those that were alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Vs. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you; for ye are not under the law but under grace. (meaning that the law cannot condemn you if you are walking in righteousness by faith through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit )

Vs. 15 What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law but under grace? God forbid!

Vs. 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are? (who you follow spiritually is your Lord) whether of sin unto death or obedience unto righteousness?
Vs 18. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Vs. 22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Ok guys, this has gotten lengthy but to ensure context and allow the Word to explain itself, I needed to share all.

Matt 9: 16, 17 “ No man putteth a piece of old cloth into an new garment, for it creates a tear in the fabric (I am paraphrasing now). and what you were trying to patch, is made worse. Neither do men put new wine into old bottles; else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish. (Everything explodes. No good.) sml. But they put new wine into new bottles and both are preserved.

What does this mean? The unconverted heart cannot receive the things of God. (There is a verse about that but I don’t know where to find it.) I Cor 2:14 (found it later!)sml. So the truth He imparts must be placed in new hearts, that is hearts that have died, and been birthed anew by Jesus. If this hasn’t happened, there will be no change in the life and the tear of old ways being patched with new expectations/habits won’t work. The new man can only come into being with a new heart. (Like the tin man) sml. That is the amazing gift from the Son of God.

“But this shall be the covenant that I will make …….. After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts: and will be their God and they shall be my people.” Jer 31: 33

“A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes (doing right becomes possible whereas before it was not) and ye shall keep my judgements and do them.” Ezekiel 36: 26,27

So then, what shall we do? Paul answers:

“But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man (bad man) sml. With his deeds; And have put on the new man which is renewed in knowledge after the image of Him that created him. “ Awesome! Col 3: 8-10

Further elaboration of the “new man’s” garment:
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another……..And above all these put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

And let the PEACE of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called one body; and be ye thankful.”
Col 3: 12-15

My apologies for breaking my own rule about length of post. Sml. Tried to give the complete picture…. And as you can see the Word is quite capable of explaining itself!
God wants to make us happy and whole. Nothing short of that will do….. A sick person doesn’t want to be made partially well. Of course not, not when the disease is terminal! So again the key thing, focus on the Healer, listen and obey. He really does know how to fix it!
shay you may know that this verse:

“Therefore as by the offense of one, judgement came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one, the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. Rom 5: 18;

is the one that Sequeria takes out of context to "prove" universal justification. Of course Jesus died for the sins of the world, but if we don't accept the gift, we are not justified!

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
"Of course Jesus died for the sins of the world, but if we don't accept the gift, we are not justified!"

Hey ... this is good. Did you copy and paste this directly from one of Sequeria's books. It is just what he believes in. The sins of the world are forgiven ... we just have to accept the gift.
I'm happy you don't believe in universal justification. We must accept the gift first. However, our buddy Jack doesn't teach that.
He teaches the whole world is justified and unless one willfully rejects that, he is saved. He omitts Romans 5:1.

Jack Sequeria, Beyond Belief.

2. Universal/Particular. “In Christ,” all humanity was redeemed — legally justified and reconciled to God [see Romans 5:18; 2 Corinthians 5:18-19; 1 Timothy 4:10; Titus 2:11; 1 John 2:2]. “Christ in you” applies only to believers who have by faith experienced the new birth [see John 3:16; Romans 8:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:17-20; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; 6:14-16; 1 Timothy 4:10].

4. Meritorious/Demonstrative. Righteousness “in Christ” is the only means of our salvation and, unless we resist and reject it, it fully qualifies us for heaven both now and in the judgment.
I did not know that this was the text used.(Don't have the book) But if by universal justification, he means universal pardon, then with that concept I can agree. But a gift is only useful if it is received. So though pardon has been granted for all men, unless they have accepted it, then for all practical purposes, they have forfeited it's benefits. Sort of like, if someone gave a gift certificate for a vacation. Unless it is redeemed, though available, they will never know the pleasure of enjoying it. This is why Satan works so hard to try and obscure our inheritance. He knows that once we see, He's dead in the water.

God has provided for all men a 'redemption voucher' secured not with stocks and bonds but by the mighty person of the Son of God. Unfortunately, for many it will go unclaimed despite the lengths He has gone to for their happiness. There is an expiration date, our time here is finite. The gift also is multi-dimensional. It provides both for life in the now (it's quite a different experience with Him along sml.) and in the hereafter. Many perks come with the gift, most notably, assurance of protection from one who has defrauded, deceived, and for whom the bait and switch tactic is routine. Of course, he never had the real goods anyhow.

Needless to say, the gift is priceless! It's worth cannot be measured in human currency but is a most amazing demonstration of LOVE! These are my thoughts. Hope the analogy is clear.
you have the right idea. Those who teach universal justification teach that all the world is already justified by Christs sacrifice.All have salvation. And one cannot lose that salvation unless it is willfully and persistently rejected. That theology is in biblical; and very dangerous because ir completely destroys all of the conditions of acceptance listed in the BIble
I do not suggest that all have salvation. No one has salvation until it is accepted, meaning that they have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. as pointed out in my earlier post. I am simply saying that the provisions have been made for all! John 3:16 Sort of like an inheritance for your child(ren), received upon the death of the testator, assuming there is evidence to verify they are a son or daughter. Christ has already made the will and for that matter ratified it with His death. It is time to inherit providing we have met the conditions. We do not recieve the benefits until we can show we are His children, wearing the right garment etc. That's the rub. ;-) but certainly no problems for those who really are!
I know that, I was not writing of you. Jack Sequeria and the 1888 message Study Committee are the ones who teach Universal Justification within the SDA church. Sequeria is a retired credentialed SDA minister, who has a doctorate. The 1888 MSC is a separatist SDA organization whose members are also members of Adventist churches who recruit from within. Some here in the Reno NV, SDA church where I live tried to get me into this and at the time I had never heard of them nor Sequeria. I found out fast though. It was good that I had good Bible study time under my belt.
I am not sure you are understanding Stephen. When I read what you quote from this author, I do not see it in the same way you do. But more worrisome, is you're suggesting that I don't believe something that you think you have a clear read on (Sequeria's position). Nor do I want to be put in a category with someone whose ideas and teachings I am unfamiliar with other than for the quotes presented here. I would simply like to have my thoughts evaluated on the basis of scripture which I have given ample amounts of.

That being said, I am now restating a point. If the author is meaning by universal justification that provisions have been made for the salvation of all, then I do believe that idea is supported by scripture, specifically Rom 5:18, II Cor 5:18,19 and other references provided. It doesn't mean however as pointed out in my previous post that all will be saved. They will not! as the following texts show:

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy which temple ye are." I Cor 3: 16,17

"But ye are not in the flesh , but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Rom 8: 9

These and other verses provided in my earlier posts reinforce this concept, that the evidence of justification (pardon) and conversion (recieving Christ as Lord) will be demonstrated in the say one thinks, acts and speaks. Those who are Christ's do reflect His character. This appears to be what Sequeira addresses as meritorious righteousness. I don't like that terminology as it connotes the goodness of my deeds meriting salvation.(I don't know if that's how he meant it.) The way I see it is that Christ dwelling in me produces this change that makes me like Himself. Of course, that is a joint effort, the promptings of His Spirit and my following His lead. But the difference is that it is both begun and finished by Him.

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him. Heb 5:8 "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2 None of it is of me except for a surrendered heart and will. It is all Him!
Shay .. you said:

That being said, I am now restating a point. If the author is meaning by universal justification that provisions have been made for the salvation of all, then I do believe that idea is supported by scripture, specifically Rom 5:18, II Cor 5:18,19 and other references provided. It doesn't mean however as pointed out in my previous post that all will be saved.

And you and Jack are in complete agreement.
No they are not! Sequeria teaches ALL the world is legally justified by the death of Christ and one is saved unless they willfully REJECT that! He omitts the conditions. Acceptance, confession of sin, repentance, and keeping the commandments
The Roman Catholic sanctification is based on human merits as follows:
Penance,
confirmation,
extreme unction,
Baptism,
Marriage,
Holy communion and
Mass attendance.

It is actually based on the Seven sacraments which are purely human meritorious.
I do not see harmony between the SDA and the catholic on the tenets of Justification and sanctification.
Seventh -day Adventists justification and sanctification is purely attained through faith that works by love and purifies the soul leading to perfect obedience by the power of Christ in the one who trust God and his word.
Sequera's point in his position does not differentiate between the tenets. He has not given clear synthesis in his writings which is purely confusing and very misleading. The young minds are as well put in total darkness in his game of theology. I do not believe either what he says. I abhor Sequera's writings in my life. He destroys SDA's pillars by confusing the Church. Pastor Sequera should make a public confession to the world wide Church for imperiling many souls. I have a reason in this position and ready for any questions asked in the right and balance spirit. Brother Stephen is right in his comment.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service