Adventist Online

I from the Caribbean originally, however i reside in the US. I do not know but part of my culture shock when i first came to the US is the fact that many members of the adventist churches i attend, wear jewelry. My question to you here at this site is, is it right for us adventist to wear jewelry.. support with biblical references please.

Views: 6547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol he was there in times of old
lol Emlyne why are you surprise ? almost anything goes on in the USA some Adventist even believe in evolution. It's a crazy place

Jason

Unfortunately it is not just the US dear .. It is global from the looks of things... even creeping into the churches back home.. take a good look on face book .. look at the Students who are attending the USC and tell me what you see ....

I am not surprised Just wanted to address .. this lol 

Emlyne

You asked about my views on jewlery.  Personally, I am amused by most jewelry.  Especially nose rings.  Coming from the farm, those were things we put in the nose of bulls so we could lead them around.  ROFL  Yet, what person who chooses to wear them realizes that it is a sign that they are being led around by Satan? 

I have yet to see anyone with non-functional jewelry who looks better with it then without it.

IMO, I see three kinds of "jewelry." 

1. Functional
  2. Display
  3. Religious

1.  FUNCTIONAL JEWELRY

In this category, I would place tie clasp, watches, belt buckles, hair clasps, some pins, etc.  However, even any of these can slip over into the next category if they are more for show then function.  To wear a watch that costs more then some cars, is not function but show.  The same for any of the others in this category.

2.  DISPLAY JEWELRY

In this category, I would place anything that is solely for display.  I.e. nose rings, ear rings bangles, baubles and ankle bands, many hair pieces.  It does not have to be made of metal to be in this category.  I have seen some men wear belt buckles, normally a very functional item, yet the buckle was so big, if I were wearing it I would not be able to bend over it.  This becomes just display and not functional.

3.  RELIGIOUS JEWELRY

This is probably the most important category for the Christian.  For one can become a heathen while claiming to be a Christian by the jewelry they wear.  Let's look at some example.

A.  Wedding ring- This is a very controversial point among the unconverted and those who are not aware of its origins.  The use of the wedding ring, in fact, rings in general,  can be traced clear back to the time of Nimrod in Babylon.  It was instituted to be a symbol of allegiance to the Sun god.  However, another symbol also started back then, along with Sunday worship and Ordaining women as spiritual leaders. 

B. The cross -  Originally, it was the first letter of the name of the "son of the sun god," Tammuz.  See Ezekiel 8:14.  People would wear the first letter of his name, a "T" around their neck, as a sign of their loyalty to this spoiled brat. However, today, people wear a "cross" (which is the same thing), as a sign that they are a Christian.  Please don't jump to conclusions, read on.

What causes any change in a symbol?  Whether we are looking at prophetic symbols or physical symbols, such as the letter "T"/cross, we must apply the rule of "First Usage." It is a very valuable one to follow. 

The "Rule of FIrst Usage" This says that the first time an object, concept or person is introduced, the meaning remains the same, unless a later inspired author make a change in it.  So, let's look as some modern symbols and practices and apply that rule.

1.  The Cross - It is true that the letter "T" was the symbol of sun worship.  Rome had it emblazoned on their shields, etc.  It was the sign that the power a person had came from worshipping the sun.  HOWEVER, when Jesus, a later inspired author, wsa put to death on the cross, but did not remain dead, but returned to life.  He changed the meaning forever.  Now, it has become a symbol of how Jesus met the Sun god and overcame him.  It in fact is a mockery to the sun god.

But, again, it is not all that clear.  Today, those who worship on the Sun's day, i.e. Sunday, and wear the letter "T" are in fact reverting back to the original meaning of the symbol, the sign of allegiance to the Sun god.  When a Sabbath worshipping Christian displays the cross, it is a symbol of the disgrace to sun worship that it suffered. 

None-the-less, since most do not know of this fine detail, in their eyes, the cross and sunday worship go hand in hand.  So, when we wear a cross, most people will associate it with popular Christianity.  Not necessarily a message that we would want to communicate.

Story time

One time when at the Seminary, I did an advertising job for a company near campus.  He was not an Adventist.  How I came to know him, I no longer remember.  But, he was casting parts for tools, etc.  He wanted packages designed and advertising put together for his products.  So, I went to work for him on a project basis.  He was so delighted with what I had done for him that when I finished, he wanted to give me a sign of his friendship.  In fact, it sits, as I type, just about 18" from me.  It was a chrome cross, on a brass stand, with a polished brass figure of Jesus on the cross.

He might as well have hit be with a ball bat.  I was literally stunned for a second or so.  I had to weigh my influence as a Christian and accepting his gift of friendship with my witness of having such a statue.  It is probably quite valuable.  But, most of all, it was something he made himself as a gift to me for the services I had provided for him.  Obviously, I accpeted it and I have never had any regrets.  For, this is not a religious ornament, it is a symbol of friendship in Jesus.  Few people ever even see it.  It is not something I flaunt.  It is a personal gift from a friend that symbolize the personal gift from my friend Jesus. 

So, as can be seen, this question can become quite intricate.  So, we need to have certain guidelines to keep from beign decieved in this area.  I'll only suggest some here, as this is already too long.

2.  The Wedding Ring - This has always been a sign as to who one worships.  Wearing the ring is a sign that they worship the sun god.  Leaving or taking it off is a sign of their trust in God and not some band of gold to hold their marriage together.  Inlike the cross, this has never been changed by a later inspired author.

3. Jewlery in general -  In the olden days, before banks, a person's wealth was carried with them or buried in the earth.  Since the woman was consdiered "private property" (however, not as this is seen today, i.e. the caveman idea) the family would entrust the care of the "family jewels" to the wife to take care of.  When an enemy attacked, the supreme insult to the one they were attacking was to attack the women.  Not just physically, but to steal the wealth they carried.  Thus, the valuables of their jewelry, also made them more vulnerable too. 

Therefore, there is no real need today to wear jewelry, for we have safe deposit boxes to keep our wealth in and offering plates to place it in, depending upon who has our heart.  IF our family has our heart, we will squander our wealth on them.  If pride has our heart, we will display our wealth anyway we can.  But, if Jesus has our heart, we will give all we can to Him.  So, in essence, what we do in the area of Jewelry is an indicator as to who has our heart.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Ray

Thanks indeed.. I was anticipating a response like this from you, due to the fact that i have read many of your comments on various forums... Well i do hope that whoever read it will be enlightened as I am

be blessed 

Emlyne

Emlyne

Thank you and I hope it will be of help.  There is so very much to this subject, it is hard to condense it too much and still communicate what is important.

Maranatha :)
Ray

To me 'WRONG',to adventist in Nigeria'Wrong'..You people should not bring course upon this church,this was part of what make's God to be angry wit isreal..if u want to use then,fine to u.dnt inflect d church wit ur virus.

I would like to see someone post some strong Biblical support for wearing Jewelry (text included).

I am well aware that the patriarchs wore Jewelry... they were also polygamists.  Is that Biblical support for polygamy, or did God permit it because of the hardness of their hearts (Matt 19:18)?

I saw a post saying that we would wear jewelry in heaven… which is true to an extent.  God will give us crowns of redemption.  Also we are told in the Spirit of Prophecy how God will adorn us with precious stones in heaven.  I’m not aware of any scriptural verses supporting this; if there are any I cannot recall them from memory (please show a text on this if it’s there).  It’s ironic that the Spirit of Prophecy speaks so strongly against wearing Jewelry here before heaven.  Just because something is appointed in heaven does not mean that it is appointed for us now.   Our crown and the precious stones we will be wearing in heaven are given to us by God; we are not adorning ourselves from our own work.

So again I want to see some Biblical support for wearying Jewelry here now on earth.  Until then the verses I see are “Whose adorning let it no be that outward adorning of plaiting of hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on apparel” 1 Peter 3:3 and “In like manner also that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array” 1 Timothy 2:9

Is it no wonder that Gods message to the Laodicean’s was “because thou sayest I am rich and increased with goods, and have need of nothing, and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.  I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in fire that thou mayest be rich..” We are so material in our in the United States, and it is spreading to other countries in our church, as someone commented.  Jewelry is an outward indication of where your heart is; where your money is there is where your heart is. 

Wearing jewelry was not a case of winking. God INSRUCTED or commanded them to  wear it:

Zech.6:9   And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 
  6:10   Take of [them of] the captivity, [even] of Heldai, of Tobijah, and of Jedaiah, which are come from Babylon, and come thou the same day, and go into the house of Josiah the son of Zephaniah; 
  6:11   Then take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set [them] upon the head of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest; 
  6:12   And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name [is] The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD: 

a crown lol

N Him,

I believe you are taking this verse of of context... Zechariah was instructed to do this as a prophecy of the coming Messiah. 

However, lets look at this example as it stands.  The word crowns there is actually translated singularly as crown, it is not a plural root word.  Most King James version Bibles will show that in the sub text.  The NIV and other translations correctly show this word as crown.  The word them as your quote showed by being in parenthesis is not in the original text either.  So at best, if you are Joshua the son of Josedech the high priest, you have instruction in this verse to wear a crown.  However, the reason for this was to point to our High Priest and King Jesus who was to come. 

The text is in know way a general command to wear jewelry... and I certainly doubt rings, ear rings, bracelets, necklaces... and so on that people were are being worn as a prophecy for Christ’s coming.  The texts in 1 Peter and 1 Timothy that I posted are general commands, not commands made by God for a specific individual for a specific purpose.

Below you posted a about wearing crowns in heaven... I addressed that above in my response.  God made and is giving those crowns to us.  He is adorning us, not we ourselves.  There is a difference.

I would like to see more texts though, thanks for the response.

N Him

"Every woman shall borrow of her neighbor, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your son, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians" (Exod. 3:22, KJV). 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service