Adventist Online

I from the Caribbean originally, however i reside in the US. I do not know but part of my culture shock when i first came to the US is the fact that many members of the adventist churches i attend, wear jewelry. My question to you here at this site is, is it right for us adventist to wear jewelry.. support with biblical references please.

Views: 6517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some interesting points there brother. But I can't seem to stop my 'baldness'.

I am starting to get a bit of that myself but at least it happened naturally and i didn't cause it.

:-)

thanks for the insight Frank 

God bless i will surely write these verses down 

Nhim... lol i guess the baldness is inevitable lol 

Nex to impossible to refute this

Thanks Frank.

You are bible based.

It is possible to refute, if you are dishonest. Many already have. All you need to do is start splitting God's Law into pieces and declare some pieces are done away. Some separate the part of the Law God spoke to all, into the Ten Commandments and the part He spoke only to Moses into the Law of Moses. Then they claim Paul said it was nailed to the cross. The last words God dictated in the Old Testament. Malachi 4:4

"Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments."

Emylne,

From the beginning the SDA church has foresworn the wearing of gold. This was based on the New Testament principle of modesty and also our position in prophetic time. Sorry if the following is long, I hope that it helps.

The Bible has an interesting mention of jewellery:

And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.  And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty:  But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put [them] upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.”  (Exod. 3:20-22)

Here, at the beginnings of God’s rescue of His people from the Egyptians God is literally telling the Israelites to load themselves with jewellery. Including the children.  What was the reason?

When they get to Mount Sinai there is one use found for their jewellery – which they are still wearing – when they hand it over to make idols of gold. (Exod. 32:2) It is interesting that when Moses comes down the mountain he sees that “Aaron had made them naked unto [their] shame among their enemies:” In the eyes of the pagans around them the jewellery may have given the children of Israel some esteem.

After this the children of Israel entered a judgement phase of their experience. God decided that He would not go with the children of Israel to Canaan but instead He would send an Angel to clear out the land ahead of them.

As soon as the children of Israel heard this they “mourned” they took off all their adornments. God told them to do it whilst He decided what to do with them.  It was a symbol of repentance whilst they were in the investigative phase of a judgement.

For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye [are] a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee.  And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb.” (Exod.33:5,6)

They are not told to put their ornaments back on at any point after Mount Horeb.

The reason was the use which God had planned for the gold, the silver, the fine materials which the Israelites took with them out of Egypt. After Moses’ intercession on their behalf God’s plan for a sanctuary, a place where He will dwell with His people, is revealed. God’s tent is going to be made of the finest materials available: shittim wood, silver and gold, precious jewels, brass. All this material was not laying around in the wilderness, the children of Israel brought it with them out of Egypt and they gave it voluntarily for the building of God’s house.

Although there is no instruction from God to put on jewellery after that time we know that the children of Israel returned to the habit later on. Isaiah prophecies against Israel that God will punish them for their sins – included in which is the wearing of ornaments which is counted in the description of the sin of pride and wantonness.

Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:  Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.” (Isa.3:16.17) A very comprehensive list of their offending adornments then follows.

In the New Testament there is no endorsement of God’s people wearing jewellery. Rather, modesty is encouraged.

The SDA church was founded on the desire to proclaim to the world that we are living in a most urgent time. The only people to be raised up with the message of the investigative judgement and the close of probation. A solemn message that we are in the antitypical Day of Atonement. From the beginning we have believed that, like Israel of old, now is not the time to dress up. The instruction to the Israelites was to dress humbly on the Day of Atonement.

Ellen White wrote on the subject quite late in her life, “We are to reveal our faith in our dress. The time and means that are often spent on outward adornment are in God's sight worse than wasted. The teachings of the gospel are to make us Christians in practise as well as in profession; the truth we hold is to sanctify the soul. Christ bids us seek not that outward adornment, but the adorning of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. It is the spirit of Christ's righteousness that we so greatly need.” (Youths Instructor, 27th April 1909)

Notice she writes, “Christ bids us seek not that outward adornment”. This is not her preference, it is Christ’s.

She also writes about the waste of time and means. How can we justify to God that we spend the means that He provides us with to adorn ourselves whilst there are people starving, sick and deprived?

In the judgment the use made of every talent will be scrutinized. How have we employed the capital lent us of Heaven? Will the Lord at His coming receive His own with usury? Have we improved the powers entrusted us, in hand and heart and brain, to the glory of God and the blessing of the world? How have we used our time, our pen, our voice, our money, our influence? What have we done for Christ, in the person of the poor, the afflicted, the orphan, or the widow?” (The Great Controversy, p.487)

Personally I find no compelling reason why I should spend money on useless items of adornment and the SDA church has historically taken a position against useless self-adornment. But each must be decided in their own mind. Study the Biblical passages remembering that, “The Bible is the most instructive history that men possess. It came fresh from the fountain of eternal truth, and a divine hand has preserved its purity through all the ages. It lights up the far-distant past, where human research seeks vainly to penetrate. In God's word we behold the power that laid the foundation of the earth and that stretched out the heavens. Here only can we find a history of our race unsullied by human prejudice or human pride.” (Patriarchs and Prophets, p.596)

The question of jewelry from my perspective has biblical bases for and against it, that being said, I feel as though our opinions or what we've been convinced of sway our position on the issue. I think it all comes down to if the wearing of jewelry (or not wearing jewelry) damages someone else spiritually or causes someone to fall, it is a sin—even if wearing jewelry is not inherently sinful.

The Bible seems to indicate we should stick to simplicity. In reading the Bible, I have found no defense for wearing it. Be careful though, because sometimes something may seem a way that it is not. Some may defend it. 

While it may not be seen as an issue of salvation, be very careful, because by wearing it, one can be a stumbling block to one who is weak in the faith, and there is potential for that person to be lost due to the wearer's poor example. Deserves consideration. 

Remember we are to be "peculiar". 

God bless. 

Excellent.

Its not right to wear Jewelry to the church. We are going to worship the Lord in His holy place. Why do we give temptation to the other members by seeing us wearing a jewelry?. Do we think we are still in the church?. We come to the church to bring ourselves and others closer to Thee. Lets hold our fellowships by not wearing it. Because we women tend to see others. If we already know the fact that other women will see us, why do we let them fall into temptation lol?.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service