Adventist Online

Is it wrong(or SIN for short) to cook on the SABBATH?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. Cooking is not labor. Just a few punches on the microwave and there you have it. Now if you had to build a fire and attend it ... that might be different. But even then ... one does need to eat. So it just might depend upon your culture and financial status. Hard and fast rules are never good. We need to use principles. That is why Jesus only gave us principles of Sabbath keeping not specifics like the Jews created.
Thanx for the reply! But Br. N Hin, don't you think in some way it's compromising with the truth esp. that you've said

'...Now if you had to build a fire and attend it ... that might be different. But even then ... one does need to eat. So it just might depend upon your culture and financial status...'
Remember that there are friends in rural areas without such an access to have '...Just a few punches on the microwave and there you have it...?'
Remember what used to happen on the preparation day (Friday) with the Israelites where they wuold have to collect manna to sustain them for two days and even after that it couldn't go bad even though on the other days it could.
More help and references!
Hey ... whatever you can prepare on Friday ... GREAT. Do all have refrigeration?

I suppose if you want a list of rules ... I could provide many of the thousands of rules the Jews wrote up. But that in my eye would not be edifying.
I fail to see the rocket science in God's very clear prescription/proscription regarding the observance of the sabbath.

The One who gave us the sabbath also gave us guidelines for observing it. These are 'God's rules', and have absolutely nothing to do with the Jews.There was not a Jew alive for over 1500 yrs after the sabbath was created, and these principles came with the package, as the observers manual.

In Ex. 16, when the sabbath was reintroduced to God's chosen people, immediately (6 weeks) after He extricated them from Egyptian bondage, God reminded them how His holy day was to be observed. Vs.23 contains instructions regarding meal preparation that has not been abrogated by technological advancements. "And he said unto them, this is that which the Lord has said. Tomorrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake today, and seethe (boil) that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning."

All preparation were to be taken care of prior to the commencement of the sabbath, to allow the entire day for worship, fellowship and rest.

Cooking in a microwave oven, is cooking anyway. I am not referring to heating refrigerated food; I'm talking about cooking. Otherwise we may as well wash on the sabbath, since all I need do is turn a few knobs after putting the clothes in the machine.

The 'principle' is to CEASE FROM WORK as the commandment in Ex 20 instructs, "...six days shall thou labor and do ALL thy work". If we engage in adequate preparation, there will be none left to be done on the sabbath, including cooking.
The fact that the Jews subsequently burdened sabbath observance with numerous oppressive laws, as contained in the Mishna, does not repeal God's original condition for proper sabbath keeping.

The will of the Lord is absolutely clear to me, and I hope to you as well.
I can assure you that no one else sees the 'will of the Lord' as you do. And no one else sees it as I do. It is not all that simple. Good people can disagree. We need tolerance for each Christian who is sincerely searching and following God.

We will need thousands of years to fully learn of God. That will happen in Heaven. In the meanwhile we can be tolerant of one another and our different beliefs.
Good day Br. Him!
Now if we keep on tolerating the plain truth
"...We need tolerance for each Christian who is sincerely searching and following God..."

don't you think we'll keep on wallowing in our sins because we'll be waiting for His coming probably so He can explain even such things as already recorded in the Bible?
REMEMBER:
"...God has had only one method of salvation, one standard of righteousness, all through the ages."
CHURCH HERITAGE, Section 1 paragraph. 3 pp.9
Thanx very much Bro. May God really Bless you!
Am glad for the brilliant responce you've given me.
Thanx very much Bro Sammuel!
May God really Bless you!
Am glad for the brilliant responce you've given me.
LUCY! READ THIS!
Sorry for posting this info. here, i couldn't just do it on your page, if anyone can do, help me.
Please would you change the picture you used on your page, you are pleasing the devil. I believe are beautiful than what you placed on your page! The devil feels good and proud of you. Please do so to dissapoint him.
I lOVE YOU
LUCY! READ THIS!
Sorry for posting this info. here, i couldn't just do it on your page, if anyone can do, help me.

"Please would you change the picture you used on your page, you are pleasing the devil."

That logo is full of satanic symbols, if you don't feel comfortable with your pics, just put even anything from nature ie a tree and is straight from the devil and his angels.
I believe you are beautiful than what you placed on your page! The devil feels good and proud of you. Please do so to dissapoint him.
I lOVE YOU
I have no idea why this is here. But it isn't appropriate.
Hi Bro. Him!
I thought I stated in the first place to inform the readers why its here '... i couldn't just do it on your page, if anyone can do, help me...'
I hope now you've an idea why its here, isn't it? Sorry if it hurts but 'knowing it would hurt others', I stated
'...Sorry for posting this info. here...'
Sorry Bro. Him. God Be With You

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com