Adventist Online

I have seen suggestions on this board suggesting that the Adventist church conduct gay weddings, and other that gays not be allowed to attend Adventist chruches.  Neither of those are going to happen, so its important to discuss what role gays do have in the church. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Church in The Netherlands Commits Itself to Being a Safe Place for LGBTI Individuals

The Netherlands Union Conference has advised all churches in the Netherlands to "fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church." In addition, NUC leadership says it would "strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

This statement was agreed after the recent General Conference vote to adopt guidelines for "responding to homosexual and other alternative sexual practices." 

A vote was taken at a recent meeting of the Netherlands Union Conference Executive Committee to publish the statement, which follows in its entirety (translated here):

"There is a great deal of discussion about sexuality, and specifically LGBTI individuals (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, intersex), at this moment. The General Conference recently held an international conference on this topic in South Africa, and last week the board of the world church voted on guidelines regarding LGBTI individuals.

In the Netherlands the topic of sexuality has been under discussion for quite some time, and in 2012 the delegates of the local churches voted the following: 

Following the example of the ‘Safe Church’ initiative, the delegates, gathered together in committee, charge the Executive Board in the coming administrative period to consider the problems of and concerning people with a non-heterosexual nature, so that they can feel safe in the church.

Following this vote, the Executive Committee has committed itself to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. In taking this decision to heart, the Netherlands Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist church would like to respond to the General Conference’s recently-voted guideline.

Although we acknowledge the biblical ideal of a monogamous, heterosexual relationship, we continue to emphasise that it is an ideal. The basis of Christianity is that all people fall short of God's ideal; this is why we require God’s grace and Christ’s sacrifice. This leads to the conclusion that we, as Christians, must welcome all children of God – who all fall short of God’s ideal – into our churches with love.

We advise the churches in the Netherlands to fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. We would strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

Views: 2728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd have to agree with you. We must at all times be prepared to be a witness for Christ, especially to those whose lifestyles are contrary to God's laws. However, we must present truth in a loving and nonjudgmental manner. 

Jesus says we should be harmless as doves and wise as serpents. 

Before anyone will listen to Gospel they have to first open their hearts to God and be fully willing to abide by his will regardless of how it conflicts with their way of life.  Sadly there are a lot of things we have become attached to that some naturally use Political Correctness to defend no matter what scripture or intent is given to them out of love.  I don't know if the willful disobedience to the God of the religion they choose to follow can be described in any PC way I can think of.  However, I like to believe most attempts here are with good intentions to give better understanding on who the God of Christianity is and what he can do for us when we allow him into our lives.  

Still, I can only imagine how lonely it must feel being on the receiving end.  The good news is that when we choose to follow the God of our Faith we don't need to associate ourselves with sinful labels anymore because we are redeemed and born again.  There is also no need to defend or justify anything the scripture of the Christian faith we follow says is a sin/abomination.   I think that's been said in more ways than one from the post I've seen.  Sadly what people say usually gets twisted because we all want to be the victim and forget about being the redeemed.  GBU for changing the spirit of the discussion Bart.

So Bart how would Jesus or any of the Apostles have dealt with a known homosexual, especially St. Paul? What kind of approach do you think the early church would have adopted if they knew that some of its members were homosexuals? How did Jesus deal with Mary of Magdala? Did He simply converse with her, or did he forgive her and commanded her to sin no more? Who is a homosexual by the way? Is he or she one by virtue of their sexual feeling, or one who carries out the sexual act of same sex intercourse? I mean there are thousands of individuals who are still struggling with their choice of sexuality who have not yet experienced same-sex intercourse. We have to make a distinction in all fairness. Personally I'd rather not interact with homosexuals who show no intent of giving up the lifestyle, but would freely interact with those who truly see the need to repent and walk in the newness of life......

Bobby are you saying Paul the apostle was a known homosexual? To make the distinction as you do (between practising homosexuals and those with homosexual feelings) would involve either asking people very awkward questions, or being a religious sleuth. Both options are unacceptable.

all was done against the true Biblical truth

X

THIS IS WHY SOME AVOID BEING A PART OF A FORMAL "CHURCH" ORGANIZATION, SAD BUT TRUE, YOU CAN GET DRAGGED INTO SOME BAD POLITICALLY CORRECT SITUATIONS "FOR THE LOVE OF OTHERS".  A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD AND JESUS IS THE WAY TO GO, AND IS NOT LIMITED TO WALLS.  THE DRAW BACK FROM THIS WAY OF THINKING IS THAT THE CONFERENCES WILL MISS THE MONEY.  YOU CAN HAVE A GREAT DEVOTIONAL TIME IN HOME IN YOUR PJ'S.  YES THE SOCIALIZATION WITH OTHERS AT THE "CHURCH" IS NICE TOO.

Wow thanks for responding RICK. I remember the author of this thread LOL

I wonder how she would react if she knows that i'm a Trump supporter LOL

The author is no longer a member of adventistonline!

I see the proud picture. I don't know how they can be proud of it?

The Author has LGBTI  ?

Whats the I stand for? Its usually LGBTQ

with the questioning on the end, but they will probably add a whole bunch of stuff such as all the way from Q to Z.

Z for Zebra, for those who have that as a "sexual preference." Now here in California what are we supposed to be up to, 38 genders or so? It is insane if you ask me. Demons can come in for any preference a person "chooses" or supposedly was born with.

LGBTI'  refer collectively to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and/or intersex. These five distinct but sometimes overlapping groupings are part, but not all, of what we mean when we speak about 'LGBTI' communities/populations."

LGBTQ

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Queer. 

I never heard of "intersex?" before this. But they keep adding genders now up to what, 38?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service