Adventist Online

I have seen suggestions on this board suggesting that the Adventist church conduct gay weddings, and other that gays not be allowed to attend Adventist chruches.  Neither of those are going to happen, so its important to discuss what role gays do have in the church. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Church in The Netherlands Commits Itself to Being a Safe Place for LGBTI Individuals

The Netherlands Union Conference has advised all churches in the Netherlands to "fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church." In addition, NUC leadership says it would "strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

This statement was agreed after the recent General Conference vote to adopt guidelines for "responding to homosexual and other alternative sexual practices." 

A vote was taken at a recent meeting of the Netherlands Union Conference Executive Committee to publish the statement, which follows in its entirety (translated here):

"There is a great deal of discussion about sexuality, and specifically LGBTI individuals (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, intersex), at this moment. The General Conference recently held an international conference on this topic in South Africa, and last week the board of the world church voted on guidelines regarding LGBTI individuals.

In the Netherlands the topic of sexuality has been under discussion for quite some time, and in 2012 the delegates of the local churches voted the following: 

Following the example of the ‘Safe Church’ initiative, the delegates, gathered together in committee, charge the Executive Board in the coming administrative period to consider the problems of and concerning people with a non-heterosexual nature, so that they can feel safe in the church.

Following this vote, the Executive Committee has committed itself to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. In taking this decision to heart, the Netherlands Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist church would like to respond to the General Conference’s recently-voted guideline.

Although we acknowledge the biblical ideal of a monogamous, heterosexual relationship, we continue to emphasise that it is an ideal. The basis of Christianity is that all people fall short of God's ideal; this is why we require God’s grace and Christ’s sacrifice. This leads to the conclusion that we, as Christians, must welcome all children of God – who all fall short of God’s ideal – into our churches with love.

We advise the churches in the Netherlands to fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. We would strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

Views: 2768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think homosexual or gay is the orientation.  The act of having sex outside of marriage is the same for gay or straight, it is called fornication.

So, is adultery then an orientation?  Incest?  Polygamy?  Polyandry?  Beastiality?  Or, again, is only the "trendy" sexual sins that are acceptable?

As long as we acknowledge that marriage can only exist between two straight people of the opposite gender.

ITS DISORIENTATION AND ODD.

Gerald Umraw, MFG has shared his testimony of how powerful God is, of giving two Christian men celibacy and its seems like no one praises God for that. It was more important to haggle over semantics and opinion of theology then come beside him with praises to God. You show who you are. This does not look like Jesus and his kingdom.

#Jesus is a friend of sinners; he was drawn to the outcasts of the world and drew the outcasts to him.

are you still a practicing homosexual?

if you think this question is too forward or personal please report my post and I will gladly remove it.

i dont need to practice anymore

...ho hum

well...

i mastered it

and GOD changed my heart

cause HE LOVES me where i am then  and where im at now at this very moment

GOD loves and saves homosexuals even when practicing ?

(are all your sins conquered? addictions? hurts... hangups, habits?.. and still be called SAVED? or CHRISTIAN?)

miss the mark in all thoughts and words and deeds?

why different rules apply to gays?

hmmmmm....

no offense taken

its a good question to ask on a gay thread to a gay person

(but always be respectful if the prerogative is not to answer - some here lynch people who wear jewelry! imagine what happens when a gay guy admits to________________. and __with a little ___________________ ..and glitter is included! )

most christians use it as a litmus test

not as relational thing

i live with my good gay christian buddy of 25 years this month

we used to be torrid passionate lovers of the best and worst kind

we are celibate for many years now

(gotta look GOD in the eye when in devotions -even though GOD always looked at me and him with noncondemnation at our worst)

GBU Gerald Umraw

#GOD is MIGHTY

but it looks different on different people and there are good gay christians who practice.. or ... errr.. mastering it

JESUS tells the LGBTI community that HE loves them now with an everlasting love and they are fearfully and wonderfully made

You stated:

JESUS tells the LGBTI community that HE loves them now with an everlasting love and they are fearfully and wonderfully made

So now God made the LGBTI community?

As we would say in South Africa "EISH"

GOD made all

God did not make homosexual people period. Either way we have drifted off the topic, and before Jill starts throwing her toys out the court it will be best to head back and stay on course.

?

well we disagree on many things i am sure

i for one would love to see Jill's toys

i just saw yours ;)

GBU

GOD is good

#still on topic!

hahaha very funny man or is it girl?

have a good evening brother.

happy Sabbath to u 2

believe me

I am all man

and a good dad

my 30 (may 9th) year old son can testify to that

apologies I was just kidding about the "man or girl" comment.

Remember to keep them toys in the court lol.

Happy Sabbath

.................................................................................................

thanku for saying that :)

#apology accepted

Do you believe in creation Gerald?

So, if I want to cheat on my wife, have intercourse with my cousin, get a group of extra wives, or decide my horse has heavenly haunches I would be made to feel safe and comfortable in the Netherlands? 

Or, is their only patience, care and concern, if I develop the hots for my best buddy, or take circumcision to the next level? 

Is sexual sin, sin as defined in scripture, or have we made yet another "exception to the rule" on our steady march to being more "Universal," Ecumenical and Catholic. Have we joined the chorus, of God's laws, and the mandate of scripture have no meaning as long as we love each other physically?  Doctrine be damned? 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service