Adventist Online

I have seen suggestions on this board suggesting that the Adventist church conduct gay weddings, and other that gays not be allowed to attend Adventist chruches.  Neither of those are going to happen, so its important to discuss what role gays do have in the church. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Church in The Netherlands Commits Itself to Being a Safe Place for LGBTI Individuals

The Netherlands Union Conference has advised all churches in the Netherlands to "fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church." In addition, NUC leadership says it would "strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

This statement was agreed after the recent General Conference vote to adopt guidelines for "responding to homosexual and other alternative sexual practices." 

A vote was taken at a recent meeting of the Netherlands Union Conference Executive Committee to publish the statement, which follows in its entirety (translated here):

"There is a great deal of discussion about sexuality, and specifically LGBTI individuals (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, intersex), at this moment. The General Conference recently held an international conference on this topic in South Africa, and last week the board of the world church voted on guidelines regarding LGBTI individuals.

In the Netherlands the topic of sexuality has been under discussion for quite some time, and in 2012 the delegates of the local churches voted the following: 

Following the example of the ‘Safe Church’ initiative, the delegates, gathered together in committee, charge the Executive Board in the coming administrative period to consider the problems of and concerning people with a non-heterosexual nature, so that they can feel safe in the church.

Following this vote, the Executive Committee has committed itself to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. In taking this decision to heart, the Netherlands Union Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist church would like to respond to the General Conference’s recently-voted guideline.

Although we acknowledge the biblical ideal of a monogamous, heterosexual relationship, we continue to emphasise that it is an ideal. The basis of Christianity is that all people fall short of God's ideal; this is why we require God’s grace and Christ’s sacrifice. This leads to the conclusion that we, as Christians, must welcome all children of God – who all fall short of God’s ideal – into our churches with love.

We advise the churches in the Netherlands to fully commit themselves to ensuring that LGBTI individuals feel safe in the church. We would strongly advise against any steps to revoke the membership of LGBTI people, given the unsafe environment this would create in churches."

Views: 2810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Sadly, I suspect there would be gasps of horror in the Netherlands if I brought in a bevy of extra wives, but applause if I came in holding hands with one of my male friends."

Can anyone speak to this hypocrisy, it is so blatant?  It is always glossed over. 

I was right, I will not get an answer to this question of hypocrisy.  

It is saying we should accept homosexual unions as full members.  We should not.

Where in the Bible does it say that gays should not be church members?

1 Corinthians 5:9-12, "I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”[d]

Is that succinct enough?  Or would the folks from the Netherlands simply say, it is just another one of God's suggestions?

If the Holy Spirit can convict an Alcoholic and make him or her want to be sober can the same Holy Spirit make a man or women want to stop doing doing deviant acts of abuse.  When I see a gay person I do not see what they do.  I see a whole person.  Is not God a God that can bring a man or woman back to the ideal that was at the Garden of Eden before the fall.  

The question is, God can heal all sinners and make mankind whole just not gays because that is just to hard for God, besides they (gays) would hate it? 

Only heterosexuals can fornicate or commit adultery?

In our society, it is OK to make fun of or discriminate Christians but homosexuals are protected. So who is going to make Christians feel safe? 

The realty is that gay person cannot be a member of the church. All who are live openly with open sin cannot be member of the church, on till they stop live to that open sin!
It seem that we won't ignore the Holy Canon, and live how we like. God church is to been rule with His Holy Word!

JESUS tells the LGBTI community that HE loves them now with an everlasting love and they are fearfully and wonderfully made

Gerald Umraw

seems to say that i was saying that God makes homosexuals

that is another thread topic

of which i am not addressing here

God has fearfully and wonderfully made you all

and loves you all with an everlasting love

but it doesn't apply to other people???

#Jesus made us all and died for us all...PERIOD!

"JESUS tells the LGBTI community that... they are fearfully and wonderfully made"

This is a fanciful statement plucked out of thin air with no basis in the Word of God. 

God certainly does love sinners- but He calls them to repentance because He is mighty to save.

I followed the link to read the article and I had to laugh because this is what was there.

It is ironic that some have stated on these threads that WO is not related to a push for LGBT full membership, but a clip from SPECTRUM  shows the history of what is happening.  

I agree with Bart that this and WO are integrally associated.  As far as the post, there is an extremely fine line between embracing gay church members and performing gay weddings.   It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to say that we should allow people living in open sin as members and not expect that to lead to gay weddings.  Besides that this is a distinction based on opinion rather than the authority of scripture or prophetic writings. 

We don't need to wander in darkness or come up with fanciful ideas about who should be allowed as members when we have been given direction from Scripture and Prophetic revelation.  Sometimes you would honestly think by the direction things are heading in some places that people act as if there is no God at all and just think the church is a social club which we make up rules for based on whatever we think is right.

"Man," you said "#Jesus made us all and died for us all...PERIOD!"

This is a perfect example of using a partial truth to support a false premise. 

-How is it that you accept only the things of your choosing from scripture? 

-What gives you the authority to preside over scripture this way- suggesting which parts are important and which parts are unimportant?

-What makes you feel justified to accept the fact that Jesus died for all while setting aside His counsel to sinners "Go and sin no more."

You seem to be taking an openly gay stance on this website, and for the record I would like to say that I believe you are teaching dangerous half-truths that are not justified by the Word of God.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service