Adventist Online

I listened to an Adventist Pastor preached a sermom yesterday. I was really shocked- in his sermon he said that the devil is not responsible for every temptation. He stated that we enter into temptation on our own. Now I cannot accept this because I know satan is responsible for every temptation and even though we are born in sin and shaped in iniquity there is still two forces ruling the universe God and the devil. So, I am interested to hear your views on this.-

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason

Re 3:10
Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Different kind of temptation, my brother.

We are talking about evil temptations.

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man" - James 1: 13

Eddie

Exactly

The topic is changed ? 

James 1:13-15

13 And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, "God is tempting me." God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. 14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. 15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
Holy Bible, New Living Translation 

Jason

The apostle says, “But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed” [James 1:14]. He is turned from the true path cast up for the ransomed of the Lord because he has fixed his heart upon some attractive object of the earth. He catches at Satan’s bait and is entrapped in his snare. {13MR 89.2}

Leslie Ann

You have introduced an important point here.  When Satan rebelled in heaven, he went around to the other angels and 1/3 of them choose to believe his story about God instead of what they could know about God themselves.  

While we are not told that explicitly, I suspect that once the ball of rebellion started rolling, that others took up the call and tempted other angels to rebel too.  It would not be necessary for Satan to personally contace each one of the other angels, once they started talking amongst themselves.

This is supported by how sin entered this earth.  Satan tempted Eve, then she went to Adam, and so on. 

Even today, when heresy is introduced.  One person talks to one person, they talk to two others, each of those talk to two or more and so on untill it spreads throughout the world.  Another thing is that often the idea is presented that "everyone is doing it."  That claim may be made if only two others are involved.  Just like kids wanting to follow a fad, they will tell their parents that all of the parents of the other children let their kids do it, and it may be that only one or two families are really involved, and it may very well be that the parents were really in the dark as to what their kids were doing. 

So, it is very dangerous to fall for a teaching, practice or idea just becasue it is claimed that "everyone is doing it."  Because, once we become part of that group, it is very difficult to admit we made a mistake and we will cling to an idea, even when it is proven to be in error, just so we do not have to admit we made a mistake. 

Hopefully this will help the discussion.

Maranatha :)
Ray

This is a beautiful post Jason, my point...God bless.

God declares, “I will put enmity.” This enmity is not naturally entertained. When man transgressed the divine law, his nature became evil, and he was in harmony, and not at variance, with Satan. There exists naturally no enmity between sinful man and the originator of sin. Both became evil through apostasy. The apostate is never at rest, except as he obtains sympathy and support by inducing others to follow his example. {GC88 505.2}

Satan tempted man to sin, as he had caused angels to rebel, that he might thus secure co-operation in his warfare against Heaven.  {GC88 505.3}

Satan’s enmity against the human race is kindled, because, through Christ, they are the objects of God’s love and mercy. He desires to thwart the divine plan for man’s redemption, to cast dishonor upon God, by defacing and defiling his handiwork; he would cause grief in Heaven, and fill the earth with woe and desolation. And he points to all this evil as the result of God’s work in creating man. {GC88 506.1

It is the grace that Christ implants in the soul which creates in man enmity against Satan. Without this converting grace and renewing power, man would continue the captive of Satan, a servant ever ready to do his bidding. . {GC88 506.2}

Satan’s agents are constantly working under his direction to establish his authority and build up his kingdom in opposition to the government of God. To this end they seek to deceive Christ’s followers, and allure them from their allegiance. Like their leader, they misconstrue and pervert the Scriptures to accomplish their object. As Satan endeavored to cast reproach upon God, so do his agents seek to malign God’s people. The spirit which put Christ to death moves the wicked to destroy his followers. All this is foreshadowed in that first prophecy, “I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed.” And this will continue to the close of time. {GC88 507.1}

The point i am trying to make here people is it is either God or the devil.

I'm with you - I find it shocking.  It is true that Sister White stated that when Adam and Eve fell, they became partakers of Satan's nature.  However, that said, we are also told that he is the source of all evil and sin.  Perhaps it was an unfortunate overstatement on the part of the pastor, trying to make a point about our fallen natures . . .?

Leslie Ann my sister your zeal and passion are admired greatly.

Pro 11:14  Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

(Stewart Posted)"Those who have tempted the devil to tempt them will have to make desperate efforts to free themselves from his power." (1Testimones p.301)

It is necessary that our unity today be of a character that will bear the test of trial.... We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and Heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed. As long as we hold to our own ideas and opinions with determined persistency, we cannot have the unity for which Christ prayed. {CET 203.2}

Desmond

Point taken and I will give it great consideration... but from what I understand according to the Bible is that satan is the mastermind behind all temptation. Even if i tempt someone then it is he who is working through me to do that. I don't understand why EGW made this statement but I sure will look into it. Thanks for your contribution.

I was shown that Satan cannot control minds unless they are yielded to his control. Those who depart from the right are in serious danger now. They separate themselves from God and from the watchcare of His angels, and Satan, ever upon the watch to destroy souls, begins to present to them his deceptions. Such are in the utmost peril; and if they see and try to resist the powers of darkness and to free themselves from Satan’s snare, it is not an easy matter. They have ventured on Satan’s ground, and he claims them. He will not hesitate to engage all his energies and call to his aid all his evil host to wrest a single human being from the hand of Christ. Those who have tempted the devil to tempt them will have to make desperate efforts to free themselves from his power.

Now when I read the whole paragraph I understand that satan controls our mind when we yield to him. Once our mind is controlled by satan we depart from right. We separate ourselves from God and his watchcare. Now under satan's control we start to venture into his his path by his deceptions. Now in his playground he can tempt us. Now according to EGW she said we can tempt the devil but look at how it starts. It starts off with him gaining control of our mind. 

This is how I understand this if I am wrong then the good Lord will have to really show me.

God bless you either way, sis - you have a beautiful spirit, soldier...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service