Adventist Online

I have been made Increasingly aware that more and more of our ladies are wearing Lipstick of different shades, Nail varnish either on hands, feet or both and False nails on their fingers.

I want to know is there ever a time when this sort is acceptable for SDA Christian women?

Views: 4158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please tell me you were saying that in a joking way? If not that was pretty cold Dan.. You should apologize to Aquila.

Actually, to be fair, they should both apologize.  The question asked by Aquila instigated the issue.  What is wrong with the post that a man asked about women?  Its not wrong for him to post such a question about adornment and Aquila should really apologize to Fred to start...

Why do you need to know his motivation before responding? If he looks like a woman he can ask the question but if he looks like a man, he can't? What difference does it make?

agreed.

Yes

For some SDA women, yes. For some, no. It all depends on their thinking. However, there used to be a general rule that the further east you go the more conservative are the congregations. For example, in North America there is a lot of self-adornment even in the so-called Conservative congregations - from heavy makeup to French nails and the most ornate of nail designs. As you move across Western Europe into Eastern Europe the use of makeup tends to trail off until you find entire congregations not wearing any kind of makeup or self-adornment. I have also noticed that the poorer the background the less adornment, possibly because they have better things to do with their money.

Personally, like Daniel, I prefer women looking natural as God made them - blemishes and all. I also wonder how the cost can be justified. As long as there is one person on this earth that does not have enough food to eat IMO it is an abomination to spend money solely on self-adornment.

John,

Be careful about chastising women for wanting to look healthy and natural to cover blemishes. 

"Of how little value are gold or pearls or costly array, in comparison with the meekness and loveliness of Christ."

The admonition in the scriptures (1 Peter 3:3-4 and 1 Timothy 2:9-10) speak of adornment with that which is unnatural AND costly.  So if you have a cell phone, get rid of your watch and buy no namebrand clothing and if you have no cell phone, get a plastic one at the dollar store if you believe what you have shared.

We must read what is being said and it is referring to adornment of that which is unnatural and costly.  This would include the vehicles we drive and wasting money on toys (dirt bike, 4 wheeler, expensive options on our trucks/cars etc). 

There is no reason for men to adorn themselves with expensive items (clothing, cameras, watches, monster trucks, off road toys etc) nor for women to do so or make themselves make their skin any colour than they were born with.  Just cover the blemishes with natural colour and be thankful you have no visible blemishes!

We want to be careful to not read further into the holy scriptures than the point that is being made for according to what I see here if you have a rotten front tooth, it must remain after a root canal so there is no further degradation because getting a crown on a tooth that looks completely natural would be contrary to the scriptures according to some on here.

There is nothing wrong with looking healthy and natural.

Defender said, "Be careful about chastising women for wanting to look healthy and natural to cover blemishes."

I am not doing the above. The only thing close to chastisement was the closing sentence: "As long as there is one person on this earth that does not have enough food to eat IMO it is an abomination to spend money solely on self-adornment."

You will note the use of the word, solely. I stand by that statement and recognise that I made reference to that which is "unnatural and costly". The two scriptures that you reference both refer to women adorning themselves, so let's stay with the subject.

Defender said, "So if you have a cell phone, get rid of your watch and buy no namebrand clothing and if you have no cell phone, get a plastic one at the dollar store if you believe what you have shared."

It is somewhat ridiculous to say that if I believe what I have shared I must get rid of... etc., etc. This is the kind of response that is made in defence of self. There appears to be a suggestion that one cannot have an opinion unless one is perfect. Read the scriptures that you quoted, apply them to the question that the OP is asking and you have the basis for a sensible reply.

As far as reading further into the scriptures than the point being made... I make the same point. Is there anything wrong with looking healthy and natural? I guess that depends on whether you are healthy and natural. All down to motivation, are you doing it to praise self?

"Personally, like Daniel, I prefer women looking natural as God made them - blemishes and all. I also wonder how the cost can be justified."

As a man, I do not wear makeup so it would not be to praise self :)  How about things you spend money on that is not makeup to cover blemishes.  Can they be justified?  There is nothing wrong with covering skin defects and as Jesus said, the poor will always be among us

It is somewhat ridiculous to say that if I believe what I have shared I must get rid of... etc., etc. This is the kind of response that is made in defence of self.

It's ridiculous?  No, not if men waste money on things that are not makeup and adorn themselves with idols.

I agree that it does all come down to whether it is praising self but also whether it is against scripture in general and not having other gods (including self) before God...

Defender said, "How about things you spend money on that is not makeup to cover blemishes."

That would be everything that I spend money on... and is a different topic.

The OP asked, "is there ever a time when this sort is acceptable for SDA Christian women?"

It really doesn't matter how much I personally spend on anything - unless you are suggesting that one person's lack of stewardship justifies another person's lack of stewardship? To put it another way, does me driving an expensive car or wearing an expensive watch justify women wearing nail polish, adding false hair or applying gaudy makeup? No. Just like Adam in the Garden of Eden it is an attempt to deflect attention away from the one under scrutiny to someone else. One can never justify one's own sin by pointing out the sins of others. I suggest that the same principle applies here.

John, I was addressing your remark

"I also wonder how the cost can be justified. As long as there is one person on this earth that does not have enough food to eat IMO it is an abomination to spend money solely on self-adornment."

Self adornment includes all the things I mentioned that some men have a problem with that is a form of adornment that is not necessary but what may be necessary for one may not for another.  So are we friends again?  No need to take my questions to you personal unless of course you have a problem with such things.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service