Adventist Online

The question is now being asked will Christian Churches be forced, coerced, or required to PERFORM Same-Sex Marriages. The answer is NO! The United States of America's Constitution has been very clear about the State and Church remaining separate. Marriage is a civil matter. The SCOTUS ruling specifies that the STATE must issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and recognize marriages from all other states. However, you cannot infringe on personal liberties of the individual or the Church and their respective beliefs.

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No,.the government should only give licenses to two adults, but if a church wants to allow bigamist marriages absolutely they should be able to, freedom of religion.  The government should just not give marriage licenses in that instance.  

I am old school on separation of church and state, the government should never tell churches what to do and vise versa.

Why only two? You can't discriminate. If 3 want to get married, who are you to say that is wrong?

I get you Thomas, but I look at it another way.  I would not enter a gay marriage or a plural marriage, but if some church comes up with a belief plural marriage is acceptable then the government should not step in and stop it.  Our belief in the Sabbath is one that most people don't agree with and we do not want the government stepping in and tell us when to worship.

Now you could say, what if a church wants to steal or kill?  That is different in that they are depriving other people by doing that.  If the members in a church want to marry each other in a plural way I maintain that the government should not try to stop it.  The government should not give them marriage licenses though.

Indeed, Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito explicitly warned religious traditionalists that this decision leaves them vulnerable. Alito warns that Obergefell “will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy,” and will be used to oppress the faithful “by those who are determined to stamp out every vestige of dissent.”http://time.com/3938050/orthodox-christians-must-now-learn-to-live-...

amen

thanku Sarah Sulton

The answer is NO! The United States of America's Constitution has been very clear about the State and Church remaining separate. 

You think the Constitution matters anymore? LOL

"The Constitution of the United States guarantees liberty of conscience. Nothing is dearer or more fundamental. Pope Pius IX, in his Encyclical Letter of August 15, 1854, said: `The absurd and erroneous doctrines or ravings in defense of liberty of conscience are a most pestilential error--a pest, of all others, most to be dreaded in a state.' The same pope, in his Encyclical Letter of December 8, 1864, anathematized `those who assert the liberty of conscience and of religious GC

Of what faith are most of those in the SCOTUS?  

And just wait until the pope comes and talks to congress this september. Wait until the election

really starts heating up. We will see heavier heat i'm sure during the election.

The state should not be involved in marriage.  It was not until the French revolution that the state took over birth, death, and marriage.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianisation_of_France_during_t...

How the SDA church handles these events will be interesting. 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service