Adventist Online

today's lesson study talks about the procedure taken when a man suspected his wife was unfaithful. it's straight forward and flawless as God is her only judge in the matter. but what happened in ancient israel if a man was unfaithful to his wife?

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since the result is that both parties would be killed .... I doubt that anyone man OR woman would want this "procedure".
both parties caught in the act of adultery
The reference in this question is not about someone caught in adultery, it is about suspicion. And besides, forgiveness and mercy were always options. The law in question here is found in Numbers 5 and is often called the law of jealousy, or the jealous husband. It is this law that Jesus used when asked to judge the woman supposedly caught in adultery. Instead of writing the curses of the law on a scroll he wrote them on the ground. This law refers the matter to God for judgment because inadequate or unreliable witnesses are available.

Deuteronomy 19 gives the basic law of double witness as it applies in a criminal court setting, but this law is applied in every matter of judgment and discernment. Joseph applied it to Pharaoh's dreams. But one of the conditions of this law is that the witnesses are to be judged before the accused, and if found to be malicious the judge was to order the penalty they were seeking against the accused be done to them. Jesus opted not to judge in this manner. Although there were adequate witnesses to establish the matter, their malicious intent was also clear. By appealing to God's direct judgment according to the law of the jealous husband Jesus sidestepped this issue along with the matter of Roman law, to which they were subject at the time which said only the Romans could condemn a person to death.

The procedure in this law left the matter of judgment in God's hands, and did not involve stoning or death. If God found the woman guilty her belly would swell, her thighs wither, and she would be barren for the rest of her life.
In the case of the Samaritan woman we find tht Jesus did not condemn her because she was honest with herself.

Indeed truth will set us free and we shall experience joy happiness and a peaceful sense of well being which is the water of life.
but could a woman bring her husband to the priest in the same way a man could make an accusation and bring his wife to a priest?
Why would one want to? That would be asking for death. Unless the woman was suicidal ... why would she? Or he for that matter.
I think it means only the one committing adultery was stoned.
The innoccent party certainly wasnt.
When it was a matter of suspicion, there would be no evidence to prove it was happening. That is why they parties involved had to be caught in the act. If a woman suspected her husband was cheating, she could tell someone, and they could investigate the case, much like a private investigator would do if someone came to him with such a story. The investigator and his team (need two witnesses) would likely follow the cheating spouse, wait a few minutes, then walk in on the cheating couple so they could take them before a judge with the adultery charge prepared.

If a man cheats on his wife, he and the woman he was sleeping with were to be executed, death by stoning. A woman cheating on her husband was to be killed along with the man sleeping with her.

Leviticus 20 is the "sex crimes" chapter. Here are the relevant verses.

10 " 'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

11 " 'If a man sleeps with his father's wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 " 'If a man sleeps with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

14 " 'If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

15 " 'If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he must be put to death, and you must kill the animal.

16 " 'If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

17 " 'If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They must be cut off before the eyes of their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible.

18 " 'If a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people.

19 " 'Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

20 " 'If a man sleeps with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible; they will die childless.

21 " 'If a man marries his brother's wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.

22 " 'Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out. 23 You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them.
As u can see in leviticus 20 the law was not just one sided .. why do others accuse moses of writing these laws?? Was it not God that gave him these to write down as well as civil laws and health Laws too? .
I liked this question Naome it shows depth of thought..and james your reply to this was well researched thanks..
thanks for your posts evryone.
the reason i posed this question is becos my understandin of ancient israel is that it was naturaly run by the men. men often divorced their wives for trivial silly reasons. i belive that sum men in those times abused their power and women were often regarded as property as oposed to human beings. so it was probably quite easy for a man to decide that he wanted a divorce, but women had alot more to loose. wud she even be taken seriously?
i just come now here!
my was 5 times unfaithful , but she just told me in the third one,when she got pregnant after 6 yeras married!cos she not sure about who was "dad"!just in the last one,she not ask me forgiveness,but I was still able to do that!today majority of ladies forgoten about unfaithfull case! why the husband cant do that?
big mistake in society!
and she kick me around 4 times in discussions!somebody can believe?
I not disagree if someone have dificult to forget case like this,but I did,cause GOD forgot me first,and should be hapenning with me that got this sin!
blessings
with His love
antonio

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link: