Adventist Online

In a recent discussion with a disgruntled Adventist, I was told that many in the church treat Ellen White like the Catholics treat the Virgin Mary...

It made me think... Could it be that some hold the same view?

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, but, you need Jesus.  And His name isn't White.

Amen... 

List for us  some examples of the 'misuse of scripture' please. 

You said:  "Such misuse of scripture drove me completely crazy"

Are you admitting that you are 'completely crazy', or maybe just partially crazy, since it has been many years? 

Heis,

You are so right about how we interpret things. But some of the SOP really does differ from scripture.

Did dogs eat Judas' remains?

EGW: YES " His weight had broken the cord by which he had hanged himself to the tree. In falling, his body had been horribly mangled, and dogs were now devouring it. His remains were immediately buried out of sight;" (The Desire of Ages, p. 722).

BIBLE: NO Mat 27:5 (NIV) So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

"With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out." (Acts 1:18 NIV)

Note: The Scripture is very plain, no dogs were involved in feasting on Judas's remains.

You mean the one's you pick and choose, and edit to suit?

I think it is more of a problem that a lot of Adventists treat Ellen White as a Pope and believe everything she wrote is ex cathedra.

The Gift of Prophecy

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in

the ministry of Ellen. G. White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which

provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by

which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

When You was baptized Randy you did confess this among the other 27 fundamental beliefs

Exactly Ian, belief 18 is a great approach to Ellen White's writings.  If does not say she is infallible or lift her writings to the level of the Bible.  

Some are unwilling to be corrected by the writings or EGW or the Bible. 

Have you read where the prophet said that those who reject the writings of the Testimony of Jesus will eventually reject the Scriptures themselves ? Or is that more counsel that you consider error ?

For instance, those who reject her counsel and warning regarding jewelry will also reject the Scriptures in that as well ? 

Those who reject the testimony coming though a true prophet are already rejecting the Bible since the Bible says to believe the prophets.

Many are attempting the impossible by saying they accept the Testimony of Jesus meanwhile rejecting the same in the areas they will not rise up to.

Testimonies About Jesus

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.

33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.

36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

Here we see in his own words the biblical definition of the Testimony of Jesus, a testimony you have regularly and repeatedly rejected.

Those who reject the testimony coming though a true prophet are already rejecting the Bible since the Bible says to believe the prophets.

For proof of this you constantly quote the words of Jehoshaphat, one of the better kings of Judah, but one who was not wise enough to actually believe the prophet of God that he called upon because he sensed the lying spirit from God in the prophets of Ahab.  God told Michaiah, and Michaiah truthfully stated that God was using this occasion to kill Ahab.  If Jehoshaphat believed the prophet of God why did he dress in Ahab's clothes and insignia and go into a battle in which the solders of Assyria had been ordered to fight with no one but Ahab personally, thus making himself a target and nearly getting killed until the Assyrians recognized that this was not Ahab?  (1 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 18) Clearly, just like Ahab, this king only believed in the prophets when it suited him, same as a few other people I know.

I have so frequently quoted to you the law of the prophet who prophesies falsely that it is becoming tedious, but since this is a counsel you blatantly refuse to accept, here it is again:

13 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the Lord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

The signs and wonders accompanying only prove that God sent that prophet to us (Deuteronomy 18); they say nothing about the reliability of the word of that prophet.  Instead every word of every prophet, even those sent by God must be checked against scripture.  You keep telling me I am twisting and misusing this text.  You have yet explain how.  The word here is quite clear, it is given in the context of the entire paragraph, as is the minimum I use anytime I make reference to it, and I have often posted the entire chapter as proof.  So tell me, how is it that I am taking it out of context and twisting it.  Tell me also why it is that you refuse to be corrected by this entire passage which clearly contradicts your claims?

Here is another text which proves the validity of my use of this text in this way:

11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.  Acts 17

Or how about this one?

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.  1 John 4:1

God demands that we test all things and all prophets.  Those who refuse are not of God.  It is that simple.

Don't you quote Sister White. I don't want you ever to quote Sister White until you get your vantage ground where you know where you are. Quote the Bible. Talk the Bible. It is full of meat, full of fatness. Carry it right out in your life, and you will know more Bible than you know now. (Spaulding-Magan Collection, p. 174). 

The testimonies of Sister White should not be carried to the front. God's Word is the unerring standard. The Testimonies are not to take the place of the Word.... Let all prove the positions from the Scriptures and substantiate every point they claim as truth from the revealed Word of God. (Evangelism, p. 256) 

The Bible is our rule of faith and doctrine. (Gospel Workers, p. 249)

Now your words:

Some are unwilling to be corrected by the writings or EGW or the Bible.

I have corrected you numerous times, both from scripture and from Ellen White and you have repeatedly refused the correction every time, claiming I have misquoted or twisted the words, yet refusing to even attempt to show me or anyone else how I am doing so. 

Many are attempting the impossible by saying they accept the Testimony of Jesus meanwhile rejecting the same in the areas they will not rise up to.

There is not much I can say here except, "Mirror, mirror on the wall...;" this looks very much like the pot is calling the kettle black.  AGAIN

James tells us,

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.  James 2:10

Allow me to paraphrase one little bit.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet reject it in one point, he is guilty of rejecting it all.

When are you going to stop rejecting the word of God, whether through Moses, the Old Testament prophets, the New Testament apostles or even Ellen White herself?  You have consistently rejected truth and correction from each one of those sources.  There is a word for that:  hypocrisy. 

Your words here will start to carry a little more weight once you become willing to be corrected by the words of these sources instead of accusing those who bring them to your attention of misquoting and misusing them.  Perhaps Jason and Daniel will even quit mocking you.  I know I will quit mocking you once that happens.  What about it?  Are you willing to start looking in the mirror once in awhile?

Some are unwilling to be corrected by scripture, and declare when they have White, they have no need of it.

A prophet speaks the testimony of Jesus when he literally speaks the testimony of Jesus, but not when he quotes a third party or pontificates (pun intended) on his own.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service