Adventist Online

In a recent discussion with a disgruntled Adventist, I was told that many in the church treat Ellen White like the Catholics treat the Virgin Mary...

It made me think... Could it be that some hold the same view?

Views: 901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ellen White statements were balanced 

But the way "balanced" as used by some is a balance between the world and Christ. A balance between truth and error between good and evil between sanctified living and living like the world. There is a false balance.

Was Ellen White this way? 

Why would you ask such a thing ? Do you not know the answer ?  No she was not. However, some have set up a difference scale that places good on one side and evil on the other. They call this balance. 

Now shouldn't we be balanced as Jesus was? Ellen White  was trying to be balanced as Jesus was.  Yes she made a few extreme statements but these statements were made to liberals to balanced them; when she was in the company of extremists she made some statements which would in effect correct their faulty views. 

What were those extreme statements you speak of ? You are not saying she was an extremist are you ?

Jesus was balanced when He ate some flesh in His day. Given the counsel Jesus gave us for today do you think today He would do the same and call it" balance" if He had ample alternatives ?

No she was not an extremist; she spoke against this evil

There have been many of her statements stated verbatam that you have rejected and continue to reject.

Ditto

Don't you quote Sister White. I don't want you ever to quote Sister White until you get your vantage ground where you know where you are. Quote the Bible. Talk the Bible. It is full of meat, full of fatness. Carry it right out in your life, and you will know more Bible than you know now. (Spaulding-Magan Collection, p. 174). 

The testimonies of Sister White should not be carried to the front. God's Word is the unerring standard. The Testimonies are not to take the place of the Word.... Let all prove the positions from the Scriptures and substantiate every point they claim as truth from the revealed Word of God. (Evangelism, p. 256) 

The Bible is our rule of faith and doctrine. (Gospel Workers, p. 249)

When are you going to use start using the Bible as the rule of faith and doctrine, not Ellen White?  You know what these quotes mean?  They mean you interpret Ellen White by the Bible, not the Bible by Ellen White.  Do you know what happens when you do this?  You find that while there is better than 95% agreement between the two Ellen White directly contradicts scripture in a number of areas and that they very often are doctrinal issues that are very closely related to Marian worship.

Here is your version of Ellen White:

Matthew 27:5, "So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself."

Luke 10:37, "....Go and do likewise."

There was a period of time when she did a lot of that stuff and I quit reading her stuff at all for a few years right after transferring to finish my degree at a public university because so much of the required reading in college was the books in which she composed whole paragraphs by taking a half sentence from this verse and a half sentence from that verse.  Such misuse of scripture drove me completely crazy, and for all too long I just assumed most of what she wrote was put together in this manner. 

I find that people that put compilations together or take such sound bytes from her material are only suiting their agenda.  The actual writings that are not done so, or butchered, are actually positive.  The people with an agenda, who are seeking control, or just generally miserable want company and therefore enjoyed the abused compilations written to specific people as a meter for all people; or, baring that take favored sections out of context to be a spiritual bully.

Need a tissue ?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by