Adventist Online

Narcissistic Personality Disorder vs Borderline Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder vs. Narcissistic Personality Disorder:  How are They Different

Though the two personality disorders share some common symptoms, they are distinct disorders with their own set of diagnostic criteria. For example, both BPD and NPD deal with conflict in a way that is unhealthy to themselves and those around them. It’s the expression of the anger that results from the conflict that is different.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Just like Borderline Personality Disorder, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists nine symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you exhibit five of these nine symptoms in a persistent manner, you meet the criteria for diagnosis of NPD:

• An exaggerated sense of one’s own abilities and achievements
  • A constant need for attention, affirmation, and praise
  • A belief that you are unique or “special,” and should only associate with other people of the same status
  • Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power
  • Exploiting other people for personal gain
  • A sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment
  • A preoccupation with power or success
  • Feeling envious of others, or believing that others are envious of you
  • A lack of empathy for others

NPD and BPD: Similarities and Differences

Narcissistic Personality Disorder can exist on its own, but can also be found co-occurring with Borderline Personality Disorder. Mix and match five out of nine symptoms of NPD with five out of the nine symptoms of BPD, and you get someone who will likely be described at least as “difficult” or “high maintenance,” and who certainly is having a tough time in day-to-day life.

Both people with BPD and with NPD deal with an intense fear of abandonment. Enhancing that fear of abandonment is the fact that sustaining relationships with others in the face of these symptoms is a challenge to say the least. “Intense and stormy relationships” is, in fact, one of the characterizing symptoms of BPD.

In an article for Psychology Today, Susan Heitler, PhD, author and Harvard graduate, describes emotionally healthy functioning in the absence of BPD or NPD: “Emotionally healthy functioning is characterized by ability to hear your own concerns, thoughts, and feelings and also to be responsive to others’ concerns.”

In the world of the narcissist, that second part just isn’t present. Narcissists are unable to step outside of themselves to imagine any weight behind someone else’s opinion. This renders someone with NPD socially and emotionally ineffective, and affects their ability to maintain relationships.

Definition

The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also concentrate on grandiose fantasies (e.g. their own success, beauty, brilliance) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. These characteristics typically begin in early adulthood and must be consistently evident in multiple contexts, such as at work and in relationships. 

People with narcissistic personality disorder believe they are superior or special, and often try to associate with other people they believe are unique or gifted in some way. This association enhances their self-esteem, which is typically quite fragile underneath the surface. Individuals with NPD seek excessive admiration and attention in order to know that others think highly of them. Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder have difficulty tolerating criticism or defeat, and may be left feeling humiliated or empty when they experience an "injury" in the form of criticism or rejection. 

Views: 452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Rabbittroup. It is very evil and hurtful. I got upset and angry for cause. I don't look for trouble. You are sensible and cocsiderate and fair it seems, and you tried to smooth things out between the combatants. I will no longer address them unless compelled to by God. I leave them to their own devices, and let God sort it out.
Rabbittroup:

I don't believe Elijah or JasonM are trained, educated and licensed to legally diagnose physical or mental diseases. Most if not all of the psychiatric diseases have no verifiable objective and repeatable test for the diseases. It is all opinions and theories and "beliefs." Science does not generally accept spiritual matters or things, only materialism.

There is no test for chemical imbalance of the brain. This construct was created by psychiatry to keep their careers and the money rolling in at what $350 an hour or whatever. That was necessary because psychiatry was discredited and losing credibility. I personally saw someone I love seriously damaged by psychiatric experimentation ( every time they use drugs, it's experimenting; practicing).

You worked in the field, I hope you don't take offense of my opinions about general psychiatry?

So even licensed psychiatrists are questionable?

The only psychiatrists I would have any confidence in is Townsend and Cloud, who are authors and Christians.

James I really don't like this thread. It is not a good thread but you are making the assumption that it is about you. I don't think it is. It is about another person, which again is not a good thing.

You don't know the history...
Elijah and others accused me of being demonic continuously.
Elijah admitted it was me by not denying and in another post stating to reasoning objecting it's a clear case of NPD.

This was especially hurtful, I defended in court and won against a 5150 involuntary psychiatric evaluation order request brought by my brother who attempted to force our mother into a home for the aged and rob me of my inheritance.

False accusations of mental illness especially after already been through that are very hurtful. Bad memories are relived etc.

Some here judge overly on language and less on evil intent.
Elijah also continually mocked and blasphemed the spirit of God and the manifestations.

Even seven miracles I prayed for and saw come to pass regarding the. Valley Fire here in 2015, which saved my house and everything I own as well as a large portion of Cob, my village, by God's providence was mocked and declared by Elijah as fire started by Satan (true) and stopped by Satan (untrue). I stayed and prayed and did not evacuate, believing that my prayers against the fire would be more effective placing my self in harm's way. I faced 400 foot flames and felt the heat and heard the roar of the fire. God saved a large portion of Cobb. Flames receded and in three instances dissolved immediately by speaking in tongues in conjunction with manifestation of faith and working of miracles, and rain prayed for by me and others came for 9 hours straight which allowed the fire to be brought under control. God energized the miracles. God is glorified as a village was saved from total destruction.

Do you share the same insensitivity and attitude as Elijah?
Even unbelievers believe my testimony about the Valley Fire. They don't say it was stopped by Satan. They don't say I am Satanic, or self promoting or egotistical.
The unbelievers often put to shame the judgments and hard heartedness of believers. Others tell of other miracles they saw or heard of during the fire.

I appreciate the good hearted believers here at Adventist Online who prayed about the several fires up here and who were kind and thanks to also Pastor Norcross who prayed with me and called out the angels for assistance just after the fire started. Thanks to all who prayed. I also thank the angels who prevented and turned back the 400 ft. flames who answered my request that they hold the ridge.

For those that judge unrighteously shall be judged of God righteously (correctly).
Bart, perhaps you or someone else can learn something or perhaps not? Regarding calling someone something, Jesus called the Pharisees "vipers" and "you are of your Father the Devil" etc.

God in Old Testament in reference to wicked man's judgment, "There will be none left to pisseth against a wall." Meaning no males, which in Eastern culture was and still is very important.

Bart, perhaps you or someone else can learn something or perhaps not? Regarding calling someone something, Jesus called the Pharisees "vipers" and "you are of your Father the Devil" etc.

James you make reference to obscure things that happened to you in vague detail. You also reference obscure pastors and things I have no clue of fires and people and such.  If you would just stick to the Bible maybe we could have a discussion.  As a friend of mine often reminds his children of  in a short song "Its not about you, you, you, its not about me, me, me."  Something a child can learn you could add to your 43 years of learning. We are never to old to learn I know I am not.

Bart: Who is that other person?

I don't want to say who I think it is. The description is not you for certain.

Bart, you are insulting also. My posts were about miracles that happened for real, as well as being falsely accused previously of mental illness which I defeated in court. Factually and legally. And now dirty tricksters make NPD accusations.

This as dirty as the Pharisees were, but actually worse, because these are people who know the record of the Pharisees and are supposed to be Christians. No wonder I called him an A .H.

In the 19th century a man in America, a staunchly Christian Nation at the time, who had insulted another man's honor, would have been challenged to a duel. Such was the importance of honor at the time. They are fortunate that they do not live at that time, and fortunate I am who I am. But the judgment of God will deal with them about their blasphemy and false accusations. They never apologized or denied it and actually Elijah admitted it.

In my Christian adult life, I have never been treated and insulted and hated to the extreme degree that I have been here, with the exception of the period of my mother's care and estate issues with my brother. That is quite significant. And what is it I profess? God's manifestations from the Bible, to deliver God's solutions to people in the love of God, as well as Bible research and the truth revealed by the Word and the spirit.

"Thus saith the Lord God; I do not relish hearing my Word and its power and manifestations being spoken evil of and blasphemed against. If you don't believe, that is lack of faith, understanding or desire, or all or any of them. But when you snicker and defame my Word and mock the spirit my Son made available to you by his death, resurrection, ascension and the new birth, including the power inherent in the spirit, and continue to blaspheme, my anger is kindled, I the Lord God will not be made the fool. Beware lest you evxceed the bounds of grace and you find yourself without my protection and grace. He who continually mocks The Lord shall surely smart for it, and judgment can only be delayed for a season, until even my patience is at an end."
"Repent and refrain from mocking my gift of the spirit and go your way. Continual evil surmising against my spirit and my ways is blasphemy. You draw near to me with your lips, but your heart is far from me, and your reproaches and back-biting against others and my spirit, my Word, my power and authority will not be tolerated continuously. Proceed at your peril."

Bart, you are insulting also. My posts were about miracles that happened for real,

Again I have no clue who you are or what you are talking about when it come to your personal life. "For  real"  

Actually I was trying to be nice which is not easy for me.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service