Adventist Online

Narcissistic Personality Disorder vs Borderline Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder vs. Narcissistic Personality Disorder:  How are They Different

Though the two personality disorders share some common symptoms, they are distinct disorders with their own set of diagnostic criteria. For example, both BPD and NPD deal with conflict in a way that is unhealthy to themselves and those around them. It’s the expression of the anger that results from the conflict that is different.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Just like Borderline Personality Disorder, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists nine symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you exhibit five of these nine symptoms in a persistent manner, you meet the criteria for diagnosis of NPD:

• An exaggerated sense of one’s own abilities and achievements
  • A constant need for attention, affirmation, and praise
  • A belief that you are unique or “special,” and should only associate with other people of the same status
  • Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power
  • Exploiting other people for personal gain
  • A sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment
  • A preoccupation with power or success
  • Feeling envious of others, or believing that others are envious of you
  • A lack of empathy for others

NPD and BPD: Similarities and Differences

Narcissistic Personality Disorder can exist on its own, but can also be found co-occurring with Borderline Personality Disorder. Mix and match five out of nine symptoms of NPD with five out of the nine symptoms of BPD, and you get someone who will likely be described at least as “difficult” or “high maintenance,” and who certainly is having a tough time in day-to-day life.

Both people with BPD and with NPD deal with an intense fear of abandonment. Enhancing that fear of abandonment is the fact that sustaining relationships with others in the face of these symptoms is a challenge to say the least. “Intense and stormy relationships” is, in fact, one of the characterizing symptoms of BPD.

In an article for Psychology Today, Susan Heitler, PhD, author and Harvard graduate, describes emotionally healthy functioning in the absence of BPD or NPD: “Emotionally healthy functioning is characterized by ability to hear your own concerns, thoughts, and feelings and also to be responsive to others’ concerns.”

In the world of the narcissist, that second part just isn’t present. Narcissists are unable to step outside of themselves to imagine any weight behind someone else’s opinion. This renders someone with NPD socially and emotionally ineffective, and affects their ability to maintain relationships.

Definition

The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also concentrate on grandiose fantasies (e.g. their own success, beauty, brilliance) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. These characteristics typically begin in early adulthood and must be consistently evident in multiple contexts, such as at work and in relationships. 

People with narcissistic personality disorder believe they are superior or special, and often try to associate with other people they believe are unique or gifted in some way. This association enhances their self-esteem, which is typically quite fragile underneath the surface. Individuals with NPD seek excessive admiration and attention in order to know that others think highly of them. Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder have difficulty tolerating criticism or defeat, and may be left feeling humiliated or empty when they experience an "injury" in the form of criticism or rejection. 

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think rather the one who is ignorant is you, James. Thinking you can use the Holy Spirit as a tool to do your Humanistic bidding. God gives gifts to his people to grow the church. Not to be abused by selfish persons like you for his own ends. 

Well, I would revise that statement somewhat.  You can pray for the presence of the Holy Spirit and the very acoustics of a room will change.  When I have been called upon to preach in the past I ask, like Elisha of Old, for a double portion of the Holy Spirit, that only what He would want said will be spoken.  I have prepared sermons before, and the Spirit nudge me not to give that one, but another the night before.  Despite my handicap, or having a vicious migraine.  When I am speaking from scripture in a sermon, the Spirit sustains me until I am done, and then my infirmity washes over me like a violent wave.  My style is different than most, because it is scripture after scripture.  When I am preparing a verse comes to mind, and another follows, then another and another.and so forth.  But, I think that is what was done in the Synagogues both for Jew and Gentile, to read and explain from scripture, rather than simply story telling.

I understand Heisenberg your post regarding being led by the holy spirit (the gift of God), as I have experienced similar things. Those that don't are sadly not doing what God wants believers to do. This thread was started to accuse me of NPD not being named initially but later admitted by Elijah.

These are most dispicable and disgusting and totally demonic and totally UNCHRISTIAN, and inspired by demons. This especially hurtful as I had to defend against false charges of mental illness in court in relation to being my mother's caregiver brought by my own relative in attempts to force involuntary psychiatric evaluation. I won the 5150 case. My relative behind my back told everyone including agencies and medical people that I was mentally ill.

My wicked relative was in collusion with a conservator and attorneys who were continually making false charges against me, as my relative had turned on my mother and I in attempts to both put her in a home to sell her house and defraud me of my inheritance, which I did receive. There were numerous wicked acts and details of evil devices, perjury, and eventually my mother died a terrible death caused by or contributed to by these people involved despite my attempts to keep my mother in her home. There was tremendous money making by the licensed attorneys and two wicked conservators.

JasonM and Elijah falsely accusing me and discusing this brought back terrible events which are too long and detailed for here, as well details of corruption of the worst kind.

These two individuals are worse than Pharisees and have no decency whatsoever, nor did they aoologize for this wickedness. Interesting that JasonM and Elijah's discussings me in such manner, without being trained, licensed, experienced or qualified whatsoever to diagnose mental illness could be evidence of them with mental as well as spiritual and moral illness as a NPD, BPD and delusions of grandeur, but instead I will just give them the benefit of the doubt, they are just plain wicked and dispicable to the highest degree.

Their ignorance and unlearned and inexperience regarding the holy spirit and the manifestations equally disqualifies them as experts in that area and has as much credibility as their opinions on mental illness.

Just as Ellen White predicted so long ago.  People will mistake the Holy Spirit for an evil one and deceive themselves.  The local church did just that.  Two of the Children were in the attic and saw two demonic entities of the rented church that frightened them.  The Head Elder said, 'Are you sure they weren't angels'  Every bad decision they make to glorify evil and eschew good they blame on the 'Holy Sprit,' but clearly there is nothing Holy about the Spirit they follow. 

Incredible! We all make mistakes and occasionally get tricked, but some things are so obvious, but to some not obvious at all. A lot has to do with the heart, not human perfection so-called. Some of those types can be the worst, as well as those with religious, deceiving and bondage spirits.

Open mindedness to THE TRUTH MOTIVATED BY LOVE is the thing God wants, and a pressing towards both the mark as Paul said and hearing the Master's voice!

Who would not want to hear the still small voice of God? But JasonM, Elijah called me mad and PastorT so called called In Need of Prayer and I mentally ill for hearing the still small voice as stated in scripture. It is good you understand how the spirit works, most do not. A few here are absolutely opposed to anything 'spiritual,' as though Satan is in control of everyone and everything.

The spirit of God is real and loving, yet powerful, and always to profit withal, meaning beneficial. Some might think it means making money? Some here automatically without thinking, investigation, prayer or research jump to conclusions and judgments. Some here are more interested in catching people in their words than in the truth. But there are many fine people here, the majority have good character and are decent despite doctrinal or practical disagreements.

Those may have been angels, the pastor just didn't specify which side they were on, cause he did not know discerning of spirits. As you say, they call good evil and evil good. Nice text chatting with you Heisenberg, and I thank you for your service as a police officer and hope you are feeling better and gotten over the ordeal you had in that wicked environment of a 'church.'

I find most Adventists don't understand, nor accept Spirituality as actual.  They think miracles are a thing of the Bible and don't happen anymore.  Scripture tells us that in Ephesians 6:12 otherwise.  I remember my father was a convert and once told me all those things happened back then, not now.  I think that is how most Adventists feel.  There are no longer demonic possessions, I have seen them first hand.  That the Holy Spirit is a force and not a part of the God Head.  They don't encounter Angels, but scripture also tells us we entertain them unaware.  I met my Guardian Angel when I was a kid.  They can take human form.  Mine was a little black kid.  When my spirit was broken in an inner city hell hole, and some wannabe Satanist and his friends were telling me what I was going to listen to, and dress like, or face the consequences, he appeared out of nowhere, and the hoard ran for their lives in terror.  I was dejected.  He put his hand on my shoulder and said, 'Don't listen to them, or do what they do.'  I nodded in agreement.  When I looked up, it was as if he was never there.  It was a huge empty field, he could not have humanly disappeared that quickly.

Yeah, demons good, Holy Spirit is of the Devil, always according to some pontificators who never manifested anything from the holy spirit (the gift of God), no in-spirit-action (inspiration) unless it's from the wrong source.

God especially dislikes those who falsely accuse, without just cause, evidence, understanding or revelation, leading others down the fool's path to judgment, though hopefully some will repent and get spiritually cleaned up. Those that don't judge those that do, sitting back in their comfortable chair, pew or toilet! Such a pew spiritually indeed.
One cannot use the holy spirit to any great extent for evil. Those in Corinth were out of order, not because they spoke in tongues, but did so without interpretation and everyone was speaking at once, making for bedlam sounding place.

One cannot use miracles from God for evil, such as robbing a bank etc. God will not energize that. The spirit works by humans having a heart of love in cooperation with God to do good and to work for the kingdom of God, ministering to people's needs and glorifying God. So even though the Corinthians were out of order, God places limitations and protections and sets those in the body of Christ to set examples and maintain sound doctrine in the love of God.

Most Christians have never really seen the way God intended and how the first century operated in the Book of Acts, and how believers are to walk by the spirit. Prophecy, tongues, and their interpretation, revelation, all the manifestations are supposed to be operated in love on a regular need basis daily, in the course of life, not just while in 'church,' or witnessing. The Holy Spirit IS the witness that bears witness that we are the sons of God, children and joint heirs in Christ.

The body of Christ is not supposed to be spiritually dead nor the other extreme of Kundalini and other spirits in operation, but the spirit of God manifested in spirit and truth. Most Christians will go through all their life with never knowing how the spirit works and what great things it enables and does. How sad, but true.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service