Adventist Online

Narcissistic Personality Disorder vs Borderline Personality Disorder

Borderline Personality Disorder vs. Narcissistic Personality Disorder:  How are They Different

Though the two personality disorders share some common symptoms, they are distinct disorders with their own set of diagnostic criteria. For example, both BPD and NPD deal with conflict in a way that is unhealthy to themselves and those around them. It’s the expression of the anger that results from the conflict that is different.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Just like Borderline Personality Disorder, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists nine symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you exhibit five of these nine symptoms in a persistent manner, you meet the criteria for diagnosis of NPD:

• An exaggerated sense of one’s own abilities and achievements
  • A constant need for attention, affirmation, and praise
  • A belief that you are unique or “special,” and should only associate with other people of the same status
  • Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power
  • Exploiting other people for personal gain
  • A sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment
  • A preoccupation with power or success
  • Feeling envious of others, or believing that others are envious of you
  • A lack of empathy for others

NPD and BPD: Similarities and Differences

Narcissistic Personality Disorder can exist on its own, but can also be found co-occurring with Borderline Personality Disorder. Mix and match five out of nine symptoms of NPD with five out of the nine symptoms of BPD, and you get someone who will likely be described at least as “difficult” or “high maintenance,” and who certainly is having a tough time in day-to-day life.

Both people with BPD and with NPD deal with an intense fear of abandonment. Enhancing that fear of abandonment is the fact that sustaining relationships with others in the face of these symptoms is a challenge to say the least. “Intense and stormy relationships” is, in fact, one of the characterizing symptoms of BPD.

In an article for Psychology Today, Susan Heitler, PhD, author and Harvard graduate, describes emotionally healthy functioning in the absence of BPD or NPD: “Emotionally healthy functioning is characterized by ability to hear your own concerns, thoughts, and feelings and also to be responsive to others’ concerns.”

In the world of the narcissist, that second part just isn’t present. Narcissists are unable to step outside of themselves to imagine any weight behind someone else’s opinion. This renders someone with NPD socially and emotionally ineffective, and affects their ability to maintain relationships.

Definition

The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also concentrate on grandiose fantasies (e.g. their own success, beauty, brilliance) and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment. These characteristics typically begin in early adulthood and must be consistently evident in multiple contexts, such as at work and in relationships. 

People with narcissistic personality disorder believe they are superior or special, and often try to associate with other people they believe are unique or gifted in some way. This association enhances their self-esteem, which is typically quite fragile underneath the surface. Individuals with NPD seek excessive admiration and attention in order to know that others think highly of them. Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder have difficulty tolerating criticism or defeat, and may be left feeling humiliated or empty when they experience an "injury" in the form of criticism or rejection. 

Views: 1081

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Incredible! We all make mistakes and occasionally get tricked, but some things are so obvious, but to some not obvious at all. A lot has to do with the heart, not human perfection so-called. Some of those types can be the worst, as well as those with religious, deceiving and bondage spirits.

Open mindedness to THE TRUTH MOTIVATED BY LOVE is the thing God wants, and a pressing towards both the mark as Paul said and hearing the Master's voice!

Who would not want to hear the still small voice of God? But JasonM, Elijah called me mad and PastorT so called called In Need of Prayer and I mentally ill for hearing the still small voice as stated in scripture. It is good you understand how the spirit works, most do not. A few here are absolutely opposed to anything 'spiritual,' as though Satan is in control of everyone and everything.

The spirit of God is real and loving, yet powerful, and always to profit withal, meaning beneficial. Some might think it means making money? Some here automatically without thinking, investigation, prayer or research jump to conclusions and judgments. Some here are more interested in catching people in their words than in the truth. But there are many fine people here, the majority have good character and are decent despite doctrinal or practical disagreements.

Those may have been angels, the pastor just didn't specify which side they were on, cause he did not know discerning of spirits. As you say, they call good evil and evil good. Nice text chatting with you Heisenberg, and I thank you for your service as a police officer and hope you are feeling better and gotten over the ordeal you had in that wicked environment of a 'church.'

I find most Adventists don't understand, nor accept Spirituality as actual.  They think miracles are a thing of the Bible and don't happen anymore.  Scripture tells us that in Ephesians 6:12 otherwise.  I remember my father was a convert and once told me all those things happened back then, not now.  I think that is how most Adventists feel.  There are no longer demonic possessions, I have seen them first hand.  That the Holy Spirit is a force and not a part of the God Head.  They don't encounter Angels, but scripture also tells us we entertain them unaware.  I met my Guardian Angel when I was a kid.  They can take human form.  Mine was a little black kid.  When my spirit was broken in an inner city hell hole, and some wannabe Satanist and his friends were telling me what I was going to listen to, and dress like, or face the consequences, he appeared out of nowhere, and the hoard ran for their lives in terror.  I was dejected.  He put his hand on my shoulder and said, 'Don't listen to them, or do what they do.'  I nodded in agreement.  When I looked up, it was as if he was never there.  It was a huge empty field, he could not have humanly disappeared that quickly.

Yeah, demons good, Holy Spirit is of the Devil, always according to some pontificators who never manifested anything from the holy spirit (the gift of God), no in-spirit-action (inspiration) unless it's from the wrong source.

God especially dislikes those who falsely accuse, without just cause, evidence, understanding or revelation, leading others down the fool's path to judgment, though hopefully some will repent and get spiritually cleaned up. Those that don't judge those that do, sitting back in their comfortable chair, pew or toilet! Such a pew spiritually indeed.

TRUE.  IN EZEKIEL, 2 OR 3?  GOD IS SO TICKED OFF WITH HIS LAW LOVING JEWS THAT HE TELL EZEKIEL THAT HE WILL GIVE THEM COW DUNG FOR MAKING THEIR FOOD.   YIKES.  NEVER UPSET GOD TO THAT POINT.  HE IS A CREATOR BUT HE IS ALSO A DESTROYER.  GOD IS SO AWESOME.

One cannot use the holy spirit to any great extent for evil. Those in Corinth were out of order, not because they spoke in tongues, but did so without interpretation and everyone was speaking at once, making for bedlam sounding place.

One cannot use miracles from God for evil, such as robbing a bank etc. God will not energize that. The spirit works by humans having a heart of love in cooperation with God to do good and to work for the kingdom of God, ministering to people's needs and glorifying God. So even though the Corinthians were out of order, God places limitations and protections and sets those in the body of Christ to set examples and maintain sound doctrine in the love of God.

Most Christians have never really seen the way God intended and how the first century operated in the Book of Acts, and how believers are to walk by the spirit. Prophecy, tongues, and their interpretation, revelation, all the manifestations are supposed to be operated in love on a regular need basis daily, in the course of life, not just while in 'church,' or witnessing. The Holy Spirit IS the witness that bears witness that we are the sons of God, children and joint heirs in Christ.

The body of Christ is not supposed to be spiritually dead nor the other extreme of Kundalini and other spirits in operation, but the spirit of God manifested in spirit and truth. Most Christians will go through all their life with never knowing how the spirit works and what great things it enables and does. How sad, but true.

Heisenberg: Very interesting testimony about the angel, I believe you.

In late 1980's my art business was dead, I told God I didn't have money to pay my bills including rent for the gallery. I didn't ask for money, just informed.

Twice when things were bad like that, a Mr. Glen Angel came. The first time he came he purchased a beautiful anonymous 16th century drawing of an angel. I forgot what he purchased the second time. All my bills were paid. His phone number and address never worked out. I never saw him again so far.

He looked plain, could have disappeared in a crowd he was so blandly dressed and in appearance also. I have heard from other believers amazing stories about other good angelic appearances. They do occur. The Bible is correct, not people's ignorant and religious opinions.

Will Elijah say that I am mad again over this one? Will he call you Heisenberg, mad also? I have also noted that often SDA will believe another SDA, but not another believer, even though I attended SDA church for several years. There is one body of Christ, composed of all believers who made Jesus Christ Lord, regardless of what people say. The loss of understanding of the spiritual, false religious doctrines and practices, and lack of understanding the one body of Christ, as well as the Devil causing all the divisions has lead to the fractures and even hatred within Christianity. I have seen that hatred here manifested by Elijah and JasonM, as well as a few others.

My position is I am for truth, no matter what. I am not sold out to any denomination, only to Christ and workings of the holy spirit as directed.

I USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE I LIKE IT.  THERE IS NO DEEP DARK SECRET REASON.  ALSO, I LIKE TO SEE WHO GETS UPSET ABOUT IT.

Rick said "I USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE I LIKE IT.  THERE IS NO DEEP DARK SECRET REASON.  ALSO, I LIKE TO SEE WHO GETS UPSET ABOUT IT." 

you do it because you like it and to see who gets upset? is this the way Christians should behave? 

OH MY, JASON CAN READ MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS.  HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP?

WHY DO YOU USE SMALL LETTERS JASON?

Question: "What does the Bible say about self-deception?"

Answer: 
We live in a world full of lies, and deceit comes from many sources. There are lying spirits who lead astray (1 Timothy 4:1); there are “evildoers and impostors” looking for dupes (2 Timothy 3:13); and, perhaps most insidious, we have ourselves to deal with. Self-deception is common in our fallen world.

Our own hearts are deceitful—so much so that we easily fool ourselves (Jeremiah 17:9). Isaiah 44:20 speaks of an idolater who is misled by his own “deluded heart.” The prophet Obadiah identifies arrogance as one of the roots of self-deception: “The pride of your heart has deceived you” (Obadiah 1:3). Human pride always blinds us to truth. It promises honor, but it delivers disgrace: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall” (Proverbs 16:18).

James 1:22 warns us against deceiving ourselves: “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” The self-deception that James has in mind relates to an inappropriate response to truth. God’s Word is meant to change us (see Psalm 119:11 and John 17:17). We can sit in church for years, listening to sermon after sermon, but if we never allow the Word we hear preached change us, then we are self-deceived. We can read the Bible from cover to cover, but unless we put its commands into practice, we deceive ourselves.

Such deception is common among religious people who accumulate truth in their minds, assuming that this is what “true religion” is all about. But Scripture was not given merely to produce theologians; it was given “so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:17). Holding the truth in one’s mind is not necessarily a character-changing quality. James 1:23–24 illustrates: merely looking at oneself in a mirror is not necessarily an appearance-changing experience. The mirror can tell us our hair is a mess, but unless we get out the brush and attack the problem, the tangles will remain.

James goes on to contrast self-deceived, “worthless” religion with “pure and faultless” religion, giving a practical example of each. One type of self-deception is to believe that our words do not matter: “Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless” (James 1:26). In contrast, those who successfully avoid being self-deceived practice true religion: “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world” (verse 27). Empty religion allows a person to employ his bodily members and his material resources toward self-centered objectives. But God approves of “faith expressing itself through love” (Galatians 5:6).

Self-deception is illustrated tragically by Samson. This mighty hero of Israel disclosed the secret of his strength to Delilah, who betrayed him to his enemies as he slept. Once his hair had been cut, Delilah called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” Samson “awoke from his sleep and thought, ‘I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.’ But he did not know that the Lord had left him” (Judges 16:20). Samson learned the hard way that forgetting the Word of God is a form of self-deception.

The bravado of the giant Goliath is another example of self-deception. He strutted and boasted and flung insults at Israel, sure that his great size and physical strength would ensure victory against the much smaller and weaker David. But he was wrong; in fact, Goliath didn’t even know what battle he was fighting. His fight was not with David, but with David’s God. (1 Samuel 17:41–51).

Self-deception can also occur in relation to one’s security, as shown in Jesus’ parable of the rich fool. The man in the story was thrilled that his land produced an unusually abundant crop. He believed he’d come to a time in his life when he could “take life easy; eat, drink and be merry” (Luke 12:19). But this was wishful thinking, for he would die that very night (verse 20).

The church of Laodicea was the victim of self-deception concerning their spiritual condition. This lukewarm church had convinced itself that everything was all right: “I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing” (Revelation 3:17a). Jesus, who always speaks truth, set them straight: “You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (verse 17b).

To avoid self-deception, we must be like the one who “looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do” (James 1:25). Remembering the Word, doing the Word, and continuing in the Word—this is what changes character and counters self-delusion. Like a mirror, the Word of God will always show us the truth.

www.gotquestions.org/amp/Bible-self-deception.html" target="_blank">https://www.google.com.ag/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/Bible-self-deception.html

A delusion of grandeur is the fixed, false belief that one possesses superior qualities such as genius, fame, omnipotence, or wealth. It is most often a symptom of schizophrenia, but can also be a symptom found in psychotic or bipolar disorders, as well as dementia (such as Alzheimer’s).

People with a delusion of grandeur often have the conviction of having some great but unrecognized talent or insight. They may also believe they have made some important discovery that others don’t understand or appreciate.

Less commonly, the individual may have the delusion of having a special relationship with a prominent person (such as being an adviser to the President). Or the person may believe that actually are a very prominent and important person, in which case the actual person may be regarded as an imposter.

Grandiose delusions may have religious content, such as the person believes he or she has received a special message from God or another deity.

Sometimes, in popular language, this disorder may be known as “megalomania,” but is more accurately referred to as narcissistic personality disorder if it is a core component of a person’s personality and identity. In such disorders, the person has a greatly out-of-proportion sense of their own worth and value in the world. People with this issue can also sometimes have a taste for the finer, more extravagant things in life.

Sometimes drug use or abuse can intensify or bring on episodes of delusion of grandeur. People who take phencyclidine (PCP) or amphetamines are especially at risk. People who are high and experience a delusion of grandeur may be at increased risk for physically harmful behavior. For instance, if you believe you are capable of flying after taking PCP, and try to jump off a 10-story building based upon that false belief, you may be at serious risk of death.

Example: A woman believes she has been selected by a deity for eventual elevation to divine status; she goes around blessing people

You JasonM and Elijah are not qualified legally or morally nor spiritually qualified to make judgments or proclamations about mental or spiritual health issues and I believe both of you have no deliverance ministry whatsoever from how you both respond etc.

Many said that Jesus was mentally ill, which was not the case. You and others here have judged I and In Need of Prayer as being mentally ill for having believing and to receive revelation etc. Then according to you every New and Old Testament person that heard from God in all of history are mentally ill. You two make me sick with your pompous ignorant and totally unloving and unbiblical attitudes etc., and in fact, you both are in violation of the commandment against bearing false witness against others, to which you always hypocritically preach about.

Several others here have spoken out how vile this whole thread is, which was directed against me. Yet you continue with your pronouncements and acting as though you are some psychiatrist, which might indicate you are the one that has delusions of grandeur? The scriptures do state explicitly that there are manifestations of holy spirit that are available via the holy spirit. If you don't believe that, that is your problem and take it up with God. But don't accuse me or anyone else of mental illness thereby. Also no ethical psychiatrist would diagnose anyone without having examined the person. You both are neither qualified to examine anyone either by psychiatry or by the spirit having not learned how to discern spirits or operate any of the nine manifestations (gathered by your attitude, ignorance and opposition to the holy spirit). You are both as Paul said "in the room of the unlearned."

There is one you have to answer to, which is not I, but the Lord. If I am telling the truth, which I am, then you stand opposed to the holy spirit and the written Word of God. In order to receive into manifestation any spiritual power of God operated in love, one must first be motivated by the love of God. I don't see much of that by either of you two. 

Secondly; a believer must believe the scriptures regarding the manifestations and have the desire and meekness to do them as directed and inspired by the holy spirit. Neither of you so far seem so inclined, and are rather opposed to any manifestation of anykind, always declaring all manifestations as from the Devil etc.

Your inability and lack of desire to walk by the spirit of God prevents you from being able to understand spiritual things because they are spiritually discerned, which means they are not received by the flesh, but by the spirit.

Because of the bias to which you have been taught aganst manifesting any holy spirit, part of the blame is due to SDA and in fact all of most Christianity false doctrines regarding this area, but you have no excuse for proclaiming others mentally ill etc. in complete malice and evil afore-thought and contrary to all principles of the Bible.

I call the both of you out on this because you continue to act in a most unchristian way. Why did you even make this thread? It was not in love, though feigned to be so. 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service