Adventist Online

News Reports: Adventists calls actions to ordain women 'mistakes'

The Washington Post On Faith blog posted the following from the Religion News Service: "Adventists calls actions to ordain women 'mistakes'." The article notes the Annual Council votes and quotes from spokesperson from the Unions in question. 

Leaders of the Seventh-day Adventist Church on Tuesday (Oct. 16) said recent decisions by two regional bodies to allow ordained female pastors were “serious mistakes,” and women who are ordained won’t be recognized — at least for now. . . .  

Gerry Chudleigh, spokesman for the Pacific Union Conference, said leaders and members in his region were “grateful that the world church leaders took no punitive action against the unions that recently voted to ordain both men and women.” Since its August decision, that regional group has approved 14 women pastors for ordination and most of them have already been ordained.

Columbia Union Conference spokeswoman Celeste Ryan Blyden said members of her region were encouraged that “this topic is back on the agenda of the worldwide church.” Since its July decision, one woman pastor has been ordained and 14 others have been approved for ordination. 

This story was also published by the Huffington Post. The wording of the vote is not the best PR for the Silver Spring, Maryland-based leaders, especially in light of their plans to hold a massive evangelism campaign in major cosmopolitan centers. 

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sarah said; Jesus stated that he came not to destroy the law but to fulfill...To me, that means He knew His Calling, and it was not to directly change things, as He had a specific Purpose for our salvation.  To every thing there is a season....and it was not the season.  Otherwise we would not have had Junia (female) who Paul affirmed as an Apostle in ministry, Phoebe (deaconess), Priscilla (pastor) and others. 

First of all, the law has absolutely nothing to do with culture. In fact, the things that he came to do away with were culture. Take for example the Sabbath, washing of hands, and seeking the highest seats. Those things were traditions of man, or culture. Those things are not included in what Jesus said he did not come to do away with.

Its a bit of a stretch to say that Junia was an apostle, or that Priscilla was a pastor. Phebe for sure was a deaconess, but all that means is servant, not leader in the church.

Jesus stated that he came not to destroy the law but to fulfill...To me, that means He knew His Calling, and it was not to directly change things, as He had a specific Purpose for our salvation.

That IS what I stated....thanks for the repeat.

To every thing there is a season....and it was not the season.  Otherwise we would not have had Junia (female) who Paul affirmed as an Apostle in ministry, Phoebe (deaconess), Priscilla (pastor) and others. 

That IS what the BIBLE says...you can choose to agree or not. 

First of all, the law has absolutely nothing to do with culture. In fact, the things that he came to do away with were culture. Take for example the Sabbath, washing of hands, and seeking the highest seats. Those things were traditions of man, or culture. Those things are not included in what Jesus said he did not come to do away with.

Jesus very much did come and rebuke the culture of His time--THE CHURCH CULTURE.  The culture that tries to dictate a person's salvation outside of Christ, that is legalistic and stuck, that does not minister to the specific needs of people, that is self-righteous, and that is judgemental.  Yes, Jesus did challenge this culture.

If you do your research , you will find that deacons/deaconess (in most other Christian) denominations make all of the administrative and business decisions for the Church, while the pastor/spiritual leader.  They generally (expections may apply) form the Board of Directors (Church Board) that make the major decisions for the church.  To think that all deacons do is sit on the first row every Sabbath and collect the offering, pass out the Communion Trays, and prepare for Baptism "only" (as happens in a few to some SDA Churches) is no where near the role of a deacon/deaconess.

Jesus stated that the greatest leader is those who serve.  

I could care less what other denominations do; this is what a deacon is supposed to do,

And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.

Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.

Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch:

Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

Jesus never let the Church dictate what He did.

R u saying that Jesus agreed with slavery or was he dealing with the culture of the day? Eph. 6:5-6, col. 3:22, 4:1; 1 Tim. 6:1; Titus 2:9; and I Pet. 2:18. What God allows because of the hardness of men's hearts is not always what he ordains. I understand that women ordination is a hot controversial topic but the same men that I hear say no to women leaders won't fill the positions of which the church stand in so desperate need. If men would do God's work when the need arises, we might not be even having these conversations. For males who are working, thanks; but those of you who are here and not doing anything for the church, fill these positions so women aren't needed to. If you don't, the rocks will cry out. In other words, someone is going to say yes to the will of God so that we who are awaiting Christ's return can go home. I prefer a male pastor, and I'm grateful for those who are actually obedient to God's will, but this habit of putting questionable people in the pulpit because they are wearing pants and saying touch not God's anointed no matter what they do is not right. God knows his anointed and there will be Pastors lost like any other group of people. What we don't want to address is that some see being a Pastor as a pretty decent job; and for them it is just a job. They will leave their pulpit unmanned or with an elder or deacon or any man in pants to take an offer to preach at another church for pay, while they are being paid already to cover their own pulpit. It is written but if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel, 1 Tim. 5:8. That seems to be somewhat the culture of our day. Allowed or ordained/anointed? Answer: "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works. And then will I profess onto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU, DEPART FOM ME, ye that work iniquity. Matt. 7:22-23.

Preach, Truth!

The decision of the Radical Jesus I know,  is now cast aside as cultural.  Your argument for the ordination of women is a typically feminist one and I suspect that this was orchestrated by the Devil.  The human reasoning for such a move might appear logical but the God I serve has always defy the comprehension of our inferior minds. It takes faith to serve the Lord and not human logics.  For over 4 thousand years and throughout the Bible, ordination has always been reserved for males only.  If the practice in the Bible is cultural, maybe the entire Bible and its doctrines are cultural too.  I guess when God created Adam as head, that was cultural too.  Women are now climbing to higher heights so maybe it is now time for them to be the head? 

a kind answer turns awsy wrath. while we disagree with someone, lets be kind at the same time. i have made the same mistake in the past and it ended with a reprimand.

Pointed but not personal. 

"Your argument for the ordination of women is a typically feminist one and I suspect that this was orchestrated by the Devil."

We think that saying you suspect another members actions are orchestrated by the devil is personal and not appropriate.  It is also not appropriate because it trades in gossip and suspicions.  We as humans cannot know the heart of another.  Therefore we "treat every man as honest.". (6T 122)

May God bless us and lead us to truth as we continue to discuss these issues.

Dr. Lanston Sylvester was not choosen to be apart the ordination committee so his contribution does not count?  Your are an ordination activist so whatever you say is gospel.  This my last comment on this subject.  Check your motives.  Your agenda is clear.

It is clear that we do not agree....rather than trying to convince me, you would do better to allow the Holy Spirit to be God and move on.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service