Adventist Online

I posted this picture on my facebook page and got some interesting comments.  What's yours?

The name of the book Obama is holding is called:

The Post-American World, and it was written by a fellow
Muslim.(Fareed Zakaria)

"Post" America means: The World "After" America!"

Views: 423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting the link, Clark. If you watch the video you can hear that there is a part left out of the transcript I posted that makes it even more plain that he absolutely was not saying that he is a Muslim.

This whole issue is really a non-starter. There is no credible evidence that Obama or any of his immediate family are Muslims. There is, however, a lot of deceit masquerading as truth, distortion masquerading as exposé and a hefty dose of plain ol' ignorance raising its ugly head in the guise of enlightenment.

However, I must say that as I watched some of the clips I was struck by Obama's mastery of politics. Although I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult :-)

Obama never claim to be a muslim. What he has say is that his father is a muslim. Self John McCain know that he is not a muslim. People like you are dangerous. You are twist the whole truth.

PREACH BENICIO!

Pope Paul II use to do the same at his eccumenical prayer services and no one called him anything other that the Catholic Pope

I am not twisting anything, just because you didn't see the live news cast where he said it (which by the way I respected him a great deal for his honesty about it  at the time) does not mean he didn't change his tune to get votes, just like every other politician on the planet..

He's not Muslim.

Just because the President is trying to educate himself about what others think doesn't mean he holds their beliefs as true.  I can read a book written by a Jew without being a Jew.  And what is the book about?  It might just be a book about a world where the US is not the only world power, not a book about a world where the US doesn't exist.  People jump to conclusions and then try to expand them to fit their belief.  If you believe that Obama is a secret Muslim, then this photo is just going to make you feel like you are right.  If you believe that he is just an educated man that values others' opinions and is trying to understand their point of view, then you won't be alarmed by a photo of him holding a book.

On a college campus you can often tell what a student's field of study is by the textbooks they clutch in their arms. True some books will be related to required general required subjects but overall that's the case. If I was carring a book on Witchcraft or a racy magazine what would you assume about me? It's hard to dismiss personal inference that comes along with the subjects we associate with.

As far as linking Obama to being muslim....that's a bit of a stretch. Fareed Zakarias is a respected journalist with CNN with excellant credentials. I think the subject matter of the book which discusses the reality of the ascendancy of BRIC countries is one that we as americans need to come to grips with. If Christ doesn't return in the next 50 to 70 years then by that time Brazil, Russia, Iran and China will be the major economic and polical powers in the world. Currently they are strong regional powers, and they are making increasing strides decade by decade. While American economic and political power are currently in decline decade by decade, is simply a geopolitical fact.

Whether Obama is interested in developing policies to build a more vibrant competive America or whether he is interested in aiding the decline is a matter of speculation. But perhaps we should all read this book and as a community prepare our children to be more competive in the world our grand-children will have to live in.

I don't know if our children need to become more competitive if Jesus doesn't return or if they need to have lower expectations of their standard of living.  We tend to forget how good americans have it when we see bigger homes or fancier cars as a goal.  Many other countries have more than one generation sharing a home.  In the US, that is considered unusual.  How big of a bathroom do you really need?  Our world is becoming more global.  Part of that might result in us having living standards closer to what the rest of the world has.  And we aren't ready to admit that yet.  Anyone with kids or young adults needs to seriously consider how to raise them with a more global view instead of a biased one thinking the US should always be bigger and better...maybe those days are over.  And Obama doesn't strike me as the type of man to just believe that closing his eyes will make a problem go away.

1.  President Obama is not Muslim!  Good try though....

2.  The clothes you are wearing were either sewn by a Muslim or Hispanic Catholic....are you going to stop wearing them or are we to assume that you have converted?

Synopsis (of the book)  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Post-American_World

The content is divided into seven chapters. The first chapter introduces the thesis of the book: that a 'post-American' world order is emerging in which the United States of America will continue to be the most powerful nation but its relative power will be diminished. He believes that there have been three power shifts in the last 500 years: a shift of power to the West during the Renaissance, a shift of power to the US making it a superpower, and now a shift to several surging countries, especially China and India, and to non-governmental organizations. Zakaria believes that international organizations are not adapting well to emerging challenges and that there is too much focus on problems arising from potential market failures or general crises (e.g. terrorism) at the expense of focus on problems stemming from success (e.g. development causing environmental degradation, or rising demand creating high commodity prices).

The world is moving from anger to indifference, from anti-Americanism to post-Americanism. The fact that new powers are more strongly asserting their interests is the reality of the post-American world. It also raises the political conundrum of how to achieve international objectives in a world of many actors, state and nonstate.
Fareed Zakaria, The Post-American World, pages 36–37.

The second and third chapters examine factors that led to the current power balance. Power shifted to the West because it fostered trade with foreign peoples and developed superior labour productivity per capita. Power shifted to the US because of its strong democracy and capitalist market. Zakaria argues that the success of the US in promoting free market capitalism and globalization has led to power being dispersed to several other countries. Economies have been surging for decades, in part due to large new players entering the global market place. He compares this era's economic growth to the economic surges of the 1890s and the 1950s which also saw new players become global powers. At the same time, Zakaria sees attitudes in the US becoming insular and distrustful of foreigners.

The fourth chapter focuses on ChinaIts strategy of small, gradual reforms have allowed it to quietly modernize. It has become the second most powerful nation, but still unlikely to match the US for decades to come. China's strengths include a philosophy that reflectsConfucian ideals of practicality, ethics and rationalism. Its non-combative foreign policy is more appealing, most notably in Africa, over interventionist Western-style policy that demands reforms in other countries. China's weakness, though, is a fear of social unrest.

The fifth chapter focuses on India. Contrasted to China, India has a bottom-up democratic political system constantly subject to social unrest but which only results in few politicians losing an election. Its political system is characterized by strong regionalism — often placing high priority on regional interests rather than national. Zakaria lists India's advantages: independent courts that enforce contracts, private property rights, rule of law, an established private sector, and many business savvy English-speaking people.

The sixth chapter compares the American rise to superpower status and its use of power. He draws parallels between the British Empire in the 1890s and starting the Boer Warwith the US in the 2000s and starting the Iraq War. The difference between them is that the British had unsurpassed political power but lost its economic dominance, whereas the US, in the 2000s, had huge economic power but faltering political influence. Zakaria defends the US from indicators that suggest American decline but warns that internal partisan politics, domestic ideological attack groups, special interest power, and a sensationalistic media are weakening the federal government's ability to adapt to new global realities.

The final chapter outlines how the US has used its power and provides six guidelines for the US to follow in the 'post-American world' envisioned by Zakaria.

Zakaria's guidelines for the US in the 'post-American world'
Guideline Notes
1 Choose Choose priorities rather than trying to have it all
2 Build broad rules, not narrow interests Recommit to international institutions and mechanisms
3 Be Bismarck, not Britain Maintain excellent relations with everyone, rather than offset and balance emerging powers
4 Order à la carte Address problems through a variety of different structures (e.g. sometimes UN, sometimes NATO, sometimes OAS)
5 Think asymmetrically Respond to problems (e.g. drug cartels, terrorists, etc.) proportionately and do not respond to bait (i.e. small attacks meant to draw attention)
6 Legitimacy is power Legitimacy creates the means to set agendas, define crises, and mobilize support

Books in my library (that I have actually read):

-The Koran

-Getting Things Done by David Allen

-The Book of Mormon

-Studying Together by Mark Finley

-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

-The Conflict of the Ages series by Ellen White

...ad infinitum...

You can see there are some books there that espouse very specific belief systems.  Which of those books define me?  Which ones control my mind?  Which ones demonstrate my beliefs?  I would suggest that none of them do.  They do give indications of what I might know or have been exposed to... but they certainly don't demonstrate my beliefs.

Could an unscrupulous person take the fact that I own and have read the Koran create a story that I am an Islamic plant to subvert the minds of Seventh-day Adventists?  Of course they could.  It wouldn't be true.  But they could say it.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service