Adventist Online

Not trying to bring politics into the forum. But I just cant help to see how these laws which seem beneficial and harmless, are but pushing us closer to the  national sunday  law.

Views: 3202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim, I think you are okay.  The way the court rulings turned out you aren't breaking the law if you don't purchase insurance, you are just subject to higher taxes.  The tax is 1% or $95 per adult.  Its seems like the in your situation it would make sense just to pay the tax and not get insurance.

I believe it is $95 or 1% of your income, whichever is higher. If this is correct it changes things a bit. 

That is just the first year. It goes up substantially every year after.

Penalty for not having health insurance coverage in 2014

The yearly fee is 1 percent of your income for the year or $95 per person in your household ($47.50 per child), whichever is higher.

The Affordable Care Act states that every person in the United States must have minimum health coverage in 2014 or must pay a fee on their federal tax return. This fee is sometimes called the “individual shared responsibility payment”. In some cases, you may be able to get an exemption from the fee meaning you would not have to pay the fee.

In 2014, the yearly fee is 1 percent of your income for the year or $95 per person in your household, whichever is higher. For uninsured children under 18, the payment is $47.50 per child. You make the payment when you file your 2014 income taxes, which will be due in April 2015.

The fee increases every year. In 2015, it will be 2 percent of your income or $325 per person in your household, whichever is higher. The payment for uninsured children under 18 will be $162.50 per child. In 2016, it will be 2.5 percent of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher. After that it will be adjusted for inflation.

The way the penalty is calculated, a single adult with household income below $19,650 would pay the $95 flat rate. A single adult with household income above $19,650 would pay an amount based on the 1 percent rate. (If income is below $10,150, no penalty is owed.) For example, a married couple with two dependent children under 18 with an income of $40,000 would pay $800 for the two adults plus $400 for the two children equalling a $1200 fee for 2014.

If you are uninsured for just part of the year, 1/12 of the yearly penalty applies to each month you’re uninsured. If you are uninsured for less than 3 months, you do not have to make a payment.

You are considered covered if you have health insurance provided by your employer, health insurance you purchase in the Health Insurance Marketplace, most government-sponsored coverage (Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA health coverage,), and coverage you purchase directly from an insurance company.

This is extortion..

Lol.

I still stand to believe that this is just an opening introduction to the sunday law enactment.

Forceful insurance,then forceful day of worship!

God help us.

I will not enroll if I don't have to!

I know I'd rather pay the fine than sign away my freedom of choice.

no it's not. Everyone needs to be insured, this makes things better and easier for everyone

How is it better for me to be insured, when I like many use a ND which is not covered by insurance?

How is it better for many like my self to be insured when they only need a doctor maybe twice a year, thus forcing us to spend hundreds a year in medical coverage, instead of maybe $120 a year?

How is it better for us to pay extra taxes and fines to cover the insurance of others, who already get free healthcare coverage from our tax dollars through Medicare and Medicaid?

"How is it better for me to be insured, when I like many use a ND which is not covered by insurance?"

Just out of curiosity daughter.

What does "ND" stand for?

To the other part i guess the same arguments can be made for any kind of insurance no?

As long as you dont need them or not as much as they cost they seem like a waste. This quickly changes whenever something hapends i guess which was unpredicted and needs ones attention.

ND is a Naturopath.. I don't use westernized medicine.

As for the unexpected, yes things happen but rarely if ever. Especially when a person lives a particularly healthy lifestyle.. And even if I were to say for example break a bone, it's still cheaper for me to pay that out of pocket over time than pay hundreds of thousands of dollars over several years for something I don't need..

Daughter, People who live healthy life styles still sometimes need expensive procedures.  What happens when people who don't have insurance all of sudden need a $200,000 heart transplant?  There is probably no natural remedy or alternative care that can substitute for a heart transplant.  You are very consciousness and if you didn't have the money you may try to raise it from family and friends.  But if that doesn't work I hope you would get the surgery anyway.  Most people would and do, and as a taxpayer I will gladly pay taxes to support everyone in the country who can't afford health care and I will forgo the potential raise I would get if my employer did not have to pay higher premiums on me to cover hospital cost shifting to insurance companies.  The tax for not having insurance is a risk offset for the health system on the chance that someone who does not have insurance does end up needing a $200,000 procedure.  By tagging it to income they are attempting to tax the people who could buy insurance but don't.  There could be cracks, but I can't think of a better way to do it.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service