Adventist Online

A new bill was passed by congress on the 21st which mandates that within 160 days, after a nation wide "Call for Service" is anounced, citizens of the United States will have to so paid-voluntery work for (I think) three months. Dont ask me how its both paid and voluntery at the same time. Take a look at the bill for yourself:

-Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (click on Full Text)

Here are Obamas words during his signing in of this bill:

-Remarks by the President at Signing of the Edward M. Kennedy Serve ...

Heres a video about this that Obama released:

-usaservice.org video

Apparently, there is a section in this bill which somehow deals with worship and religion. Im not exactly sure what is meant there. That section is Section 125a(7) in the bill.

Here's what I found.

"September 11th Day of Service-
`(1) FEDERAL ACTIVITIES- The Corporation may organize and carry out appropriate ceremonies and activities, which may include activities that are part of the broader Call to Service Campaign under subsection (j), in order to observe the September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance at the Federal level.
`(2) ACTIVITIES- The Corporation may make grants and provide other support to community-based organizations to assist in planning and carrying out appropriate service, charity, and remembrance opportunities in conjunction with the September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance.
`(3) CONSULTATION- The Corporation may consult with and make grants or provide other forms of support to nonprofit organizations with expertise in representing families of victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and other impacted constituencies, and in promoting the establishment of September 11 as an annually recognized National Day of Service and Remembrance.'."

Next year, September 11 falls on a Sabbath. You mean to tell me I have to observe this day and do service on the Sabbath????

I would like to know what everyone thinks about this new bill. Here's my hunch as to why this could lead to a National Sunday Law....

.... if they will require people to work for those 3 months, what about those who worship on Sabbath and cant work on Saturdays? Or what about those, who sincerely believe Sunday is the Sabbath, who like-wise cant work on their religious day? Since this bill was already passed, I think there are only two solutions to this problem:

1: Repeal the Bill entirely. But this is not likely because thir making this bill seem like some wonderful act, which, as they claim, gives people opportunity to give back to their country and make money while their at it.

2: Request the public decide on a specific day everyone can have off. The majority believe in a Sunday sabbath, so this would likely be the one chosen. See my video on CBS's praise of sunday blue laws and the benefits it supposedly had on the country in the 1800's (click here). This option would REQUIRE us to work on the other six days (which includes the Sabbath day) while taking Sunday off. There lies the problem!

Are there any other options???? Here's some comments Ive gotten via email regarding this bill:

I would like to call your attention to an Amendment in the H. R. 1388 Act. It is Section 125 (42 U.S.C. 12575). Although this portion of the H. R. 1388 Act has been repealed, it shows you what legislators are thinking about and what they want to do. United States leaders are testing out legislation that will prohibit us from worshiping God according to the dictates of our hearts. And to prove that even further, they have actually left a piece of legislation in this Act (which is already signed into law) that is and will affect those who are involved in the Mandatory "Volunteer" program in the future (the very near future). We'll talk a bit about this below. But first, please take a look at Section 125. I've highlighted the parts that you need to pay close attention to and added some comments by a few people around the internet that were paying close attention to this piece of legislation:

‘SEC. 125. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.

‘(a) Prohibited Activities- A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities:

‘(1) Attempting to influence legislation.

‘(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.

‘(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing.

‘(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.

‘(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to any public office.

‘(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.

‘(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of religious proselytization.

COMMENTS: Did you get that last part? Citizens may not protest anything against their government. Religious people, while serving the mandatory three year term, may not proselytize, instruct, or preach. And we know that young people are our most at-risk of leaving the church to begin with.

So anyone volunteering cannot be involved in politics, unions, or religion? Let us keep in mind while it sounds like they can’t be involved in partisan political activities, they will be doing work assigned by the government, which is inherently partisan. So in effect, the people volunteering are doing the will of the government and are not permitted to be free to make their own choices and get involved in what they believe in on their own time. This is indoctrination, pure and simple. And are these people really volunteers or are they “volunteers?”

This legislation is calling for mandatory service and denial of religious rights and protesting.

Lets read this bill together friends, and put our thoughts together. Time is very short and we know that the Sunday Law is really going to happen. Its prophesied both in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy (click HERE for proof).

Jesus is coming! Do you represnt him in every way? Have you allowed his perfect life to manifest itself through you? Has his character become yours? Will he find a people waiting for him when he appears?

I think its about time the leave the major cities friends! Please pray about this and call unto JESUS for salvation from this wicked world and its sins. God bless!

In Jesus, the Solution,
Edwin M. Cotto
www.adventistdefenseleague.com

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So wait, this would be in effect as of Sept 11 of this year? And then you have to volunteer to do whatever they want for 3 months? I know thats not the important part, but was jus thinkn about how soon this would really start happening, the things described in this bill.
This is interesting. If it passes we may not see much from it but creeping compromise just gets bigger as it rolls down hill. I think this leaves the door open for more radical bills. Everyone is trying to make something bigger than the last guy. So we will just have to keep our eyes open so we know when its time to run for the mountains or for those who are called to stay behind and preach the truth until we are shutup by the government or fellow brothers and sisters of the church. Whoa to Judas and the Judas's of the future.
I'm seeing more people talk about this slowly now. I had to read it again and watched the video Obama released. Also sent it to a few other ppl who may find it interesting to see their thoughts... Anything else you find out def keep posting.
Realize that in some States have never stopped the Sunday Blue Law. Some of the other states are looking to adapt this as law again. But, do you think that they will be able to get away with this. We are more Educated than we were back in the day. Today people will not take to this old law revisted and have some adjustments made to it.

We all must be prepared for the change that is about to come down the road.I have been tell people for years that they need to move out of the cities. I moved and was able to convince my cousin to move her family out of the city, but there are still familyand friends there. Why are we so hard to listen to the message that was given to us?
I don't understand what the problem is here.

Anyone care to explain what they see as the problem?
Thanks, Godsqueen.

I've read through the act and can't see what all the fuss is about. GW Bush enacted a similar day of worship as his first act as president. His day was an annual Sunday. As this Act states that the day is to be 11th September it is not a Sunday law at all. Merely stating that 11th September is to be a day of commemoration, whichever day of the week it falls on. The Act also states that "faith groups" will be involved so there would be scope for the SDA church to run some initatives which would mean that the Sabbath could easily be preserved.

There is nothing in the Act to suggest that religious liberty is being curtailed in any way or that a rest day (a sabbath) is being enacted by law. So, unless I'm missing something, I don't see what the problem is.
Well, under the list of prohibited activities to take place on that day, which I understood to involve anything religious. Also noted that this was something where it would not be tolerated to demonstrate against. I did not see it as a Sunday law, but as a challenge to keep or not to keep the Sabbath the way it should. This would be for next year I believe, right? Then Sunday keepers would also have their day challenged.. Eventually, could it be that this will be something looked at? Where a day may be chosen, designated for a purpose of not to work? I may be getting ahead of myself, but even if thats a small possibility, it is one. Of course it can all go down a very different way too, but yeah, seeing those limits it seems as our observance of the 7th day may be challenged.
Thanks, Jose.

I suspected that this would be what would be focussed on. Section 125 is not in the Act so any discussion becomes rather moot. What it does show, however, is that the legislators were not prepared to allow that part to come into law. Perhaps they looked at it and found it was too restrictive, badly worded or unconstitutional - we don't know. What we do know, however, is that for now the system is working and the Act had this section removed prior to coming into law. Perhaps a reason for optimism rather than pessimism.

I think that SoP was pretty clear that Sunday Worship Laws will come in as a result of natural disasters, pandemics, etc., that cannot be prevented by human means (see also Testimonies for the Church Vol.9 - p.16, I think - where she says that governments will not be able to prevent the collapse of financial institutions). The religious leaders will then claim that these events occur as a result of turning from God and we will all be encouraged to keep the Commandments of God to appease His wrath. Exactly such a scenario occurred after the SE Asian Tsunami. A young boy, the sole survivor of his village, asked the local priest why God allowed his village to be wiped out. The priest replied that it was "because we are not keeping His commandments".
I was not aware that it did not make it into the law when it was passed. I thought it still stood. Yeah, if so this would be optimistic... a little more time to do what we can.

I'm not sure if I have read from that specific place you mentioned, but that does ring a bell.. I've heard and read about the natural disasters and economy being... well a disaster. And then.. well yeah, basically how you put it. I didn't know there was a survivor in that tsunami. Interesting how that interaction went. Little example example
The last movements will be rapid.
IF this happen, for me i would say "Good to all of us" And hope u all agree with me since we all are waiting the second coming of Christ. No matter how would be our trouble when sunday law comes, beyond that, the good hope ever we had is the second coming of christ....Let all the events be happen which will make the second coming of christ soon...
I have read this and we all need to stand firm on our Faith. We can try to write the President and explain our view. I don't think he realize what he signed and the weight that this carry for all Sabbathkeeper's. Some how we have to formulate a letter that will get a couple of us a meeting with Mr. Obama so we can sit down with him and explain this Bill that he has signed.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service