Adventist Online

Hello!

Within the last few days, a few posts have referred to a new position statement taken by the Biblical Research Institute regarding the lunar Sabbath teaching.

Just this last weekend, a friend of mine attended Garden Road SDA Church in Calgary, Canada, where Pastor Ishmael Ali said he just came back from a ministerial meeting and that we have an official position that the BRI has made on the heresy of the lunar Sabbath calendar that he could present and he would do so next week. Pastor Bob also posted, "I was at pastors' meetings just this week in which Gerhard Pfandl addressed this theory and presented the evidence as to why it is not Biblically tenable and why the Biblical Research Institute has rejected it." He has graciously promised to post the full critique when he gets it. (Pastor Bob - are you in the same conference in Canada?)

I have wished for some time to hear an official stance on the lunar Sabbath from the BRI and was happy to hear what Pastor Ali and Pastor Bob had to say. In my eagerness to obtain the information, I just now called the BRI and spoke to a lovely lady by the name of Brenda Flemmer. I asked if I could receive this information and she said, "No, there is no official church stance. There are GUIDLINES, but nothing has ever been voted on. I do not know if they will vote on it - I have not heard of anything along those lines."

While this was very disappointing to me, I would like to offer a gentle word of caution to everyone involved in the disucssion of so vital a topic as the holy Sabbath: We are not the Roman Catholic Church and the Biblical Research Institute is NOT the "Holy Office for the Defense of the Faith" (aka, the Inquisition.) Angel Rodriguez is not the Grand Inquisitor whose decrees should be taken as the Word of God Almighty. As we all must answer for ourselves at the judgment bar of God, there certainly is room to allow each other religious liberty in our beliefs. Some of the name calling that has occured, "lunies", etc. does not honor the belief which the one doing the name-calling claims to espouse.

Whether you are for or against the lunar Sabbath belief, let us all allow each other sufficient liberty of consciense to study for ourselves what we believe. The findings of the BRI should be taken under consideration in the context of one's OWN study - not as the final end-all-be-all of the discussion, for that would make us no different from the Ropman Catholics who do not feel the need to study for themselves as they just have to believe what the Grand Inquisttor has studied out FOR them.

I, personally, would like to see an official position taken on the lunar Sabath. If any of you agree, I would encourage you to call the BRI and request it. Of course, this can only be done by the GC in session under vote, but there would certainly be opportunity for that iat this next session this year. The phone number of the BRI is 301-680-6790.

In the loving and gracious spirit of Christ, Brothers and Sisters, let us study for ourselves.

God bless!

Views: 4315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Additional information: My friend who attended Pastor Ali's meeting in Calgary this last weekend in which he claimed that the Biblical Research Institute now has an official position, just spoke to the Biblical Research Institute herself, inquiring what that official statement is. She, also, was told that the BRI does NOT have an official position. She was told that Dr. Rodriguez's article against the lunar Sabbath should not be taken as an official position because "that's just an article."

Again, let us all study for ourselves. The whole reason why the early SDAs did not want to have an established "creed" or statement of belief was because they valued the right to liberty of conscience for all and did not want any one entity to have the power of authority over doctrine which the BRI has in the minds of many people. The BRI itself is saying that they do not have an official position - please study for yourselves, one way or other. Do not turn your responsibility for personal study over to the BRI.
Obviously calling each other names is not of the Spirit of the Lord- however, if you read the posts on this subject, you will see that those of us who have stood up against this false doctrine are not relying on any document from the BRI. As I have stated previously we need to stand on Scripture ONLY and not on man-made calendars or so-called "historians". And I do not see any evidence anywhere on here of anybody not allowing "religious liberty" on this site- however, this site as the name suggests, is supposed to reflect the views of the Adventist Church, so when there is a false theological viewpoint being pushed down our throats by people who purposely invade the forum, you should expect for those of us who believe the Truth to stand up and defend it.
I think this E.W. quote clarifies the picture:

"I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this is what will cause a shaking among God's people." -Early Writings p 270.2
Mr/Ms. "New Light",

The quote you chose has no bearing in this conversation since your "theology" is NOT Biblical. I'm sure if I went and researched this quote it would be taken out of context like all the other quotes you have taken to try to prove your theology.
Just food for thought,
"You have only the glimmerings of the rays of light that is to come to you. I have light that is new to you, and yet it is precious old light that will shine forth from the Word of truth." (1 Selected Messages p. 401)
"There is no excuse for any one taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that our expositions of scripture are without error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people is not proof that our ideas are infallible." (Review & Herald, Dec. 20, 1892)
May we all maintain a Christlike spirit as we discuss this important topic.
And a little tidbit from scripture;

Gamaliel's Principle

The new testament tells of how, after the apostles were imprisoned in Jerusalem, they were brought before the council of high priests, who questioned them about why they had disobeyed the order to stop preaching the word of Jesus. Peter's response was "We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree". This explanation apparently didn't appease the high priests, so they "took counsel to slay them [the apostles]".

"Then stood there up one in the council, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, high in reputation among all the people, and he said unto them: Take heed of yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves; he was slain, and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered and brought to nought. After this rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him; he also perished, and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. And now I say unto you, refrain from these men, and let them alone, for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: but if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it, lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." (Acts 5:34)
WOW...who is it that admits, all over the world, that they are the church of Laodicea??? The SDA Church...yes this is a true testimony that the Laodicean church is being shown the Truth and they are rejecting it...this is so sad for me because I love you people...my friends in the church I love you and I miss you and my prayer is that you would see, that you will take the time to study...stop doing all the things that you are doing, stop the meetings, the councils, the concerts, the games nights, the debates, the gatherings the fellowship lunches the pot lucks, the seniors lunches, the singles dinners...and all other time wasters and belly fillers and the "feel good" gatherings, and get serious, you preach that the time is short and yet you have no idea how short the time is...please will the people of the Lord Jesus Christ stand up...stand up for Jesus...STUDY this for yourselves, do not reject the straight truth...do not listen to those who have much to lose...we, who have spent 6 or more months studying this, have nothing to lose, we have no church we have no agenda, we have no paycheck, we have no building or membership to lose, we are not trying to keep people in our church to pay tithes and do the work to keep us in business, because we do not have these things...PLEASE listen to Jesus not anyone else, take the itme to study...do NOT follow any man, none, no one, study and follow the Lord Jesus ONLY...the cry is going out, the prophecies are true...where do YOU stand?
Michelle,

You are also not relying on scripture, and that is a serious problem. If you have reproof for a false doctrine you much prove it false with biblical truth, not with personal statements. Also, calling someone's point of view "false doctrine" without proving it to be false, and telling everyone to avoid it, is not allowing religious freedom. So I do see evidence from you that religious freedom is not being allowed.

2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for REPROOF, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
Yes L. Jones I was at the same meetings as Pastor Ali who is a friend of mine
I have recieved the paper by Dr. Pfandl (finally!).
I will have to post it in parts.

God Bless,

Pastor Bob
Are Adventists Keeping the Wrong Sabbath?

by Dr. Gerhard Pfandl, Biblical Research Institute PART I

9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. (Exod 20:9-11)

Jews, Seventh-day Adventists, and other Sabbath-keeping groups keep the Sabbath every seventh day. In the last few years, a number of individuals among Messianic Jews and Seventh-day Adventists have come up with the Lunar Sabbath Theory.

The Lunar Sabbath Theory
This theory says that the fixed traditional Sabbath keeping every seventh day from Friday sunset through Saturday sunset is a corruption of an "original" Biblical Sabbath based on the lunar cycle. Under this model, the Sabbath falls on the 8th, 15th, 22st and 29th day of each lunar month, or at the First Quarter, Full Moon, Last Quarter, and New Moon. The claim is that with this system, God intended that one can just look up in the sky and know when the Sabbath has arrived.

The days of the Hebrew month were numbered from 1 to 29 or 30. New Moon day is called day 1 (this is the first day of the month, but not the first day of the work week); the first Sabbath is the 8th day of the month and 7th day of the week; the second Sabbath is day 15; the third Sabbath is day 22; and the last Sabbath is day 29. Each and every month of every year the lunisolar calendar looks exactly the same since it was put in place at creation. The only exception is that half of the months of each year have 29 days and half have 30 (K.L. French, “The Creator’s Calendar,” 10).

Since the lunar month is 29 ½ days, each month has 4 weeks with seven days and one or two days over depending on if the month has 29 or 30 days. If you maintain a seven-day rhythm this means that the lunar Sabbath can fall on any day of the week. Because with each new lunar month, it falls a day or two later in the week than the last month. As a result, to follow this system one must deal with the difficult and impractical situation of having to take a different day off from work each month on a rotating schedule.
Are Adventists Keeping the Wrong Sabbath? PART II

The Death of Jesus

Lunar Sabbatarians claim Jesus did not die on a Friday in 31 AD due to the dates of the new and full moons that year. According to the Julian calendar (using the same weekly cycle we have now) the Passover’s full moon in AD 31, according to astronomical calculations, would have been on a Wednesday, not on Thursday night (which would be the Jewish Friday because it began at sundown on Thursday).

They claim that the result of this problem means the calendar as we know it today cannot be accurate, though with the luni-solar calendar it would make perfect sense.
Are Adventists Keeping the Wrong Sabbath? PART III

However, while this lunar calendar, showing one month only, looks good, the problem comes when you put two months together:
(Forgive me but this can't be shown properly in this format. You will have to imagine the 8s, 15s, 22s, and 29s to be in red and represent "seventh-day Sabbaths".
1s would be blue and represent "New Moon Sabbaths" and the 30s be yellow and represent "non-days")

S M T W Th F Sa
24 25 26 27 28 29 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12