Adventist Online

Hello!

Within the last few days, a few posts have referred to a new position statement taken by the Biblical Research Institute regarding the lunar Sabbath teaching.

Just this last weekend, a friend of mine attended Garden Road SDA Church in Calgary, Canada, where Pastor Ishmael Ali said he just came back from a ministerial meeting and that we have an official position that the BRI has made on the heresy of the lunar Sabbath calendar that he could present and he would do so next week. Pastor Bob also posted, "I was at pastors' meetings just this week in which Gerhard Pfandl addressed this theory and presented the evidence as to why it is not Biblically tenable and why the Biblical Research Institute has rejected it." He has graciously promised to post the full critique when he gets it. (Pastor Bob - are you in the same conference in Canada?)

I have wished for some time to hear an official stance on the lunar Sabbath from the BRI and was happy to hear what Pastor Ali and Pastor Bob had to say. In my eagerness to obtain the information, I just now called the BRI and spoke to a lovely lady by the name of Brenda Flemmer. I asked if I could receive this information and she said, "No, there is no official church stance. There are GUIDLINES, but nothing has ever been voted on. I do not know if they will vote on it - I have not heard of anything along those lines."

While this was very disappointing to me, I would like to offer a gentle word of caution to everyone involved in the disucssion of so vital a topic as the holy Sabbath: We are not the Roman Catholic Church and the Biblical Research Institute is NOT the "Holy Office for the Defense of the Faith" (aka, the Inquisition.) Angel Rodriguez is not the Grand Inquisitor whose decrees should be taken as the Word of God Almighty. As we all must answer for ourselves at the judgment bar of God, there certainly is room to allow each other religious liberty in our beliefs. Some of the name calling that has occured, "lunies", etc. does not honor the belief which the one doing the name-calling claims to espouse.

Whether you are for or against the lunar Sabbath belief, let us all allow each other sufficient liberty of consciense to study for ourselves what we believe. The findings of the BRI should be taken under consideration in the context of one's OWN study - not as the final end-all-be-all of the discussion, for that would make us no different from the Ropman Catholics who do not feel the need to study for themselves as they just have to believe what the Grand Inquisttor has studied out FOR them.

I, personally, would like to see an official position taken on the lunar Sabath. If any of you agree, I would encourage you to call the BRI and request it. Of course, this can only be done by the GC in session under vote, but there would certainly be opportunity for that iat this next session this year. The phone number of the BRI is 301-680-6790.

In the loving and gracious spirit of Christ, Brothers and Sisters, let us study for ourselves.

God bless!

Views: 4152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Where did that come from?

"Wow! Where did that come from?" from a person that is ashamed to be part of an organization that doesn't want to see more than their noses....

Well it's not true that I don't want to see anything other than my nose. I have done diligent study on this subject and I reject this subject. The lunar Sabbath is false at it's core, and was started by a white supremacist. It is not compatible with the bible and especially the story of the Exodus. I do not say this lightly, I suffered greatly because I could not accept this belief. It would have been so much easier for me if I had just gone along with it. But I couldn't because it is wrong, I looked hard for just one reason to accept it without success.

Blah, blah, blah.....

Not very christ like.

What About a Lunar Sabbath?
Ángel Manuel Rodríguez

I’ve been told that the biblical Sabbath was a lunar Sabbath fixed by the moon, rather than a specific day of the week independent of the moon or the sun. What do you think?

Any biblical evidence to support this proposal is lacking. Therefore, I feel uncomfortable honoring the issue by addressing it here. But apparently I should say something about it. If the time for the Sabbath was determined by the moon, then the Sabbath will have to be observed at different days during the month and not on the seventh day of the week. The Sabbath could be any day of the week, based on the time of the new moon. Let me say a few things about this matter.
        1. The Israelite Calendar: The Israelite calendar was lunisolar, that is to say time was measured on the basis of the new moon (the rotation of the moon around the earth) and also the sun (the rotation of the earth around the sun). A lunar calendar of 12 months is about 11 days shorter than the solar calendar, which is approximately 365 days. In the ancient world this was solved by adding an extra month seven times in 19 years. In the Bible the moon calendar was used to fix the time for the festivals—for instance, 14 days after the new moon came Passover (Num. 28:16). Apparently some people are arguing that the Sabbath itself was to be observed seven days after the first day of the month.
        2. The Sabbath and the Moon: At the beginning of the twentieth century the connection between the Sabbath and the moon was proposed and defended by a number of critical scholars. They rejected the biblical origin of the Sabbath and suggested that its origin was related to several “evil days” in the Babylonian calendar, including the day of the full moon, during which people rested. Those days occurred in a sequence of about seven days. Further study indicated that the so-called “evil days” were not a sequence of seven days; they were the first, seventh, fourteenth, nineteenth, twenty-first, and twenty-eighth days of the month. That theory has since been abandoned.
        3. Genesis 1 and the Sabbath: The origin of the biblical Sabbath is definitely connected with the creation week. It was instituted by God three days after the creation of the moon (Gen. 1:14; 2:2), not the seventh day after the first day of the month. It was to function independent of the month on a specific sequence of days unconnected from the moon and the sun, but uniquely grounded in God’s power to rule over time. The seventhness of the Sabbath is related to the passing of time, from the beginning of God’s creating activity on Planet Earth to its close. This is indeed a unique divine act, a fragmentation of time in a sequence of seven days exclusively fixed and governed by God Himself.
        4. Sabbath and Festivals: A lunar Sabbath would imply that the Sabbath is part of the Israelite festivals, but that is not the case. The seventh-day Sabbath was instituted long before the festivals were given to the Israelites. The Hebrew term translated “feasts, festivals,” is cadîm, and it means “fixed/appointed time, meetings.” It refers to different activities that were not necessarily dated by the lunar calendar (e.g., Jer. 8:17; Hosea 2:9). Even if one were to argue that the term applies to the Sabbath, it does not follow that the time for the Sabbath was fixed by the moon (cf. Lev. 23:2). Besides, the Bible makes clear that the Sabbath is to be differentiated from the festivals (Lev. 23:37, 38).
        Finally, the Sabbath rest was different from the rest required during the ceremonial Sabbaths. Leviticus 23:3 states that during the Sabbath the Israelites were “not to do any work.” But during the time of the sacred assembly the people were commanded to “do no regular work” (23:8, 21, 25, 35, 36, NIV). This indicates that there was a type of work they were allowed to do during the festivals that was forbidden during the Sabbath.
        Although the intentions of those promoting the lunar Sabbath may be good, they have to be aware of the fact that they are unintentionally introducing and promoting a sabbath rest that is different from the biblical seventh-day Sabbath rest.

8/08

Copyright © Biblical Research Institute General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists®

Let's read all of Lev. 23

The Appointed Festivals

23 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘These are my appointed festivals,   the appointed festivals of the Lord, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies.

The Sabbath

3 “‘There are six days when you may work,   but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest,   a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work;   wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the Lord.

The Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread

4 “‘These are the Lord’s appointed festivals, the sacred assemblies you are to proclaim at their appointed times: 5 The Lord’s Passover   begins at twilight on the fourteenth day of the first month. 6 On the fifteenth day of that month the Lord’s Festival of Unleavened Bread   begins; for seven days   you must eat bread made without yeast. 7 On the first day hold a sacred assembly   and do no regular work. 8 For seven days present a food offering to the Lord.   And on the seventh day hold a sacred assembly and do no regular work.’”

Offering the Firstfruits

9 The Lord said to Moses, 10 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you enter the land I am going to give you   and you reap its harvest,   bring to the priest a sheaf   of the first grain you harvest. 11 He is to wave the sheaf before the Lord   so it will be accepted   on your behalf; the priest is to wave it on the day after the Sabbath. 12 On the day you wave the sheaf, you must sacrifice as a burnt offering to the Lord a lamb a year old   without defect, 13 together with its grain offering   of two-tenths of an ephah[a]   of the finest flour mixed with olive oil—a food offering presented to the Lord, a pleasing aroma—and its drink offering   of a quarter of a hin[b] of wine. 14 You must not eat any bread, or roasted or new grain,   until the very day you bring this offering to your God.   This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come,   wherever you live.

The Festival of Weeks

15 “‘From the day after the Sabbath, the day you brought the sheaf of the wave offering, count off seven full weeks. 16 Count off fifty days up to the day after the seventh Sabbath,   and then present an offering of new grain to the Lord. 17 From wherever you live, bring two loaves made of two-tenths of an ephah   of the finest flour, baked with yeast, as a wave offering of firstfruits   to the Lord. 18 Present with this bread seven male lambs, each a year old and without defect, one young bull and two rams. They will be a burnt offering to the Lord, together with their grain offerings and drink offerings —a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord. 19 Then sacrifice one male goat for a sin offering[c] and two lambs, each a year old, for a fellowship offering. 20 The priest is to wave the two lambs before the Lord as a wave offering,   together with the bread of the firstfruits. They are a sacred offering to the Lord for the priest. 21 On that same day you are to proclaim a sacred assembly   and do no regular work.   This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live.

22 “‘When you reap the harvest   of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest.   Leave them for the poor and for the foreigner residing among you.   I am the Lord your God.’”

The Festival of Trumpets

23 The Lord said to Moses, 24 “Say to the Israelites: ‘On the first day of the seventh month you are to have a day of sabbath rest, a sacred assembly   commemorated with trumpet blasts. 25 Do no regular work,   but present a food offering to the Lord. ’”

The Day of Atonement

26 The Lord said to Moses, 27 “The tenth day of this seventh month   is the Day of Atonement.   Hold a sacred assembly   and deny yourselves,[d] and present a food offering to the Lord. 28 Do not do any work   on that day, because it is the Day of Atonement, when atonement is made for you before the Lord your God. 29 Those who do not deny themselves on that day must be cut off from their people. 30 I will destroy from among their people   anyone who does any work on that day. 31 You shall do no work at all. This is to be a lasting ordinance   for the generations to come, wherever you live. 32 It is a day of sabbath rest   for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath.”

The Festival of Tabernacles

33 The Lord said to Moses, 34 “Say to the Israelites: ‘On the fifteenth day of the seventh   month the Lord’s Festival of Tabernacles   begins, and it lasts for seven days. 35 The first day is a sacred assembly;   do no regular work. 36 For seven days present food offerings to the Lord, and on the eighth day hold a sacred assembly   and present a food offering to the Lord.   It is the closing special assembly; do no regular work.

37 (“‘These are the Lord’s appointed festivals, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies for bringing food offerings to the Lord—the burnt offerings and grain offerings, sacrifices and drink offerings   required for each day. 38 These offerings   are in addition to those for the Lord’s Sabbaths   and[e] in addition to your gifts and whatever you have vowed and all the freewill offerings   you give to the Lord.)

39 “‘So beginning with the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you have gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival   to the Lord for seven days;   the first day is a day of sabbath rest, and the eighth day also is a day of sabbath rest. 40 On the first day you are to take branches   from luxuriant trees—from palms, willows and other leafy trees —and rejoice   before the Lord your God for seven days. 41 Celebrate this as a festival to the Lord for seven days each year. This is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come; celebrate it in the seventh month. 42 Live in temporary shelters   for seven days: All native-born Israelites are to live in such shelters 43 so your descendants will know   that I had the Israelites live in temporary shelters when I brought them out of Egypt. I am the Lord your God.’”

44 So Moses announced to the Israelites the appointed festivals of the Lord.

Seems to me like the Sabbath is the same as the rest of the Feast Days.

Anyone wishing to help those in error on the Lunar Sabbatarian theory, must understand the truth regarding “lunar Sabbaths”.  Please hear me out.

While the truth of the 7th day Sabbath will never change, the sacred holy time from Friday evening at sundown until Saturday evening at sundown, there is a true doctrine of the days termed “Sabbaths” which were scheduled by the moon in the services of the old sanctuary.  Of course, for every truth Satan has a counterfeit.  Lunar Sabbatarians have bought into this counterfeit.

The truth is that there were “Sabbaths beside the Sabbaths of the Lord.” Leviticus 23:37, 38. 

One day as Elder Corliss stepped out of a train, the guard [conductor] stopped him with the request that he explain Colossians 2:16. They stopped, and as the crowd rushed by, the explanation was given, and from Leviticus 23:37, 38 it was shown that there were sabbaths besides the Sabbath of the Lord.”  RH, January 7, 1896 par. 14

These annual “Sabbaths” were 12 special days observed in the old sanctuary.  Eight of them were scheduled from the new moon of the first month while the remaining four were scheduled from the new moon of the seventh month. In the King James' Version of the Bible these 12 annual Sabbaths are very clearly specified in Leviticus 23.

The Apostle Paul referred to these annual Sabbaths in Colossians 2:16, 17, showing that they were prophetic or “shadows” of things to come.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink,or in respect of an  holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath [days]: Which are a shadow of things to come;” 

THE TRUE INTERPRETER MUST COME. The One whom all these types prefigured MUST EXPLAIN THEIR SIGNIFICANCE. DA 33

Jesus is the only one who could interpret the ancient sanctuary system.  Without His interpretation all the services were meaningless and only a dead ritual.  When He died on the Passover at the time of the slaying of the Passover Lamb, Friday afternoon, and rested in the tomb on the annual Sabbath which fell on the 7th day Sabbath that year, then, was resurrected on the first day of the week, the day that the Wave Sheaf offering was presented before the Lord, (“on the morrow after the Sabbath, the priest shall wave it” Lev. 23:11), He was giving the correct interpretation regarding the timing within the weekly cycle of these ancient services.

From this interpretation we can understand the prophetic nature of these “shadow” or “lunar” Sabbaths.  They were prophetic of the year of fulfillment when they would coincide with 7th day Sabbaths.

WHENEVER the new moon falls on a 7th day Sabbath, all of the “shadow” Sabbaths scheduled from that NEW MOON, also fall on 7th day Sabbaths, whether in the first month of the year or the seventh month of the year.  All twelve of these “shadow” Sabbaths are thus destined to fall on seventh-day Sabbaths in their fulfillment, (including the Day of Atonement, explained later)  THIS FACT IS VERY IMPORTANT.

This truth that Jesus taught by His fulfillment and by His explanation of Moses' writings to His disciples must be comprehended in order for us to help those who are deceived by the error of the Lunar Sabbatarian theory.

The lunars are back

Jason,

Just think, soon they will try to tell us that the "Feast days" and ceremonies that pointed to Christ, the Lamb of God, should be kept all over again!!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service