Adventist Online

Study to show thyself approved to God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

The Darby Bible Translation says, “…cutting in a straight line the word of truth.”

In the video Papal Rome - Papacy Vatican 5th Beast in Prophecy, Kenneth Cox speaks about a fifth beast. This begs to question; how many beasts are there or how many does he see? In the series Mr. Cox also presents a premise which requires one to look deeply into the word of truth, cutting in a straight line the word of truth. 

Here he speaks of the seven kings of Revelation 17 saying five have fallen.  Again, I will question those previously presented as unproven, simply because the question which requires an answer is the question of the woman. When did the woman sit upon the beast, and now one must question who is the beast?

3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

9And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sit.

The woman is key to the prophecy, she sits on the seven heads.

In Papacy Vatican 5th Beast in Prophecy, Mr. Cox presents the idea that the little horn of Daniel 7:8 and the beast of Revelation 13:1 are exactly the same power.

In order to make this idea possible, he alters the biblical definition of the dragon into “Pagan” Rome, as opposed the Ancient Rome. He then uses Revelation 13:2 in suggesting that the ‘him’ in the verse is Papal Rome.

“…and the dragon (Pagan Rome) gave him (Papal Rome) his power, and his seat, and great authority.”  

This is a complete alteration of the bible as the bible interprets itself, and therefore this cannot be true.

--To Be Continued

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The video Papal Rome - Papacy Vatican 5th Beast in Prophecy now leads to several questions.

One – Who is the beast?

Two – How many beasts are there anyway?

Three - Who is the dragon in the bible?

Four – Does the little horn become the beast of Revelation 13?

Five – If the little horn becomes the beast of Revelation 13, who is the beast of Revelation17?

The first question I seek to answer is, who is the dragon in the bible? Kenneth Cox has stated that the dragon is Pagan Rome, but how does he come about this. Does the bible say this, does it allude to this in any way?

Revelation 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. 4And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth:

9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The bible describe, defines the great dragon as that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan. The great red dragon looks similar to the beast of Revelation 13. The beast has the very characteristics as the dragon, it has seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. This the bible explains in Revelation 13:3

And the dragon gave him (the beast) his power, and his seat, and great authority. The beast who has been defined as “Pagan” Rome; the Roman Empire was given power and authority by the dragon (Satan the Devil, according to the bible).

Satan the Devil, the great red dragon has power; he is called the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4) and the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2). In Luke chapter 4 we can observe the power and authority Satan commands as he tempted Jesus in the wilderness.

5And the devil took him up into a high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the sphere of the world in a moment of time. 6And the devil said unto him, All this authority I will give thee and the glory of them, for that is delivered unto me, and to whomsoever I will I give it. 7If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Satan the Devil, the great red dragon has power over all the kingdoms of the sphere of the world, to give that power and authority to whoever he will; he gives it to this beast and the beast takes on the very resemblance of the great red dragon.

1And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. 2And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

But Mr. Cox stated that the little horn of Daniel and the beast of Revelation 13 are the same beast, but how can that be?

Daniel 7

So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things. 17These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth…

These beasts of Daniel 7 are called great beast and Daniel is told there are four (4) and that these four are four kings, (kingdoms, empires) that shall rise out of the earth. The focus however, is on the fourth beast.

19Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet; 20And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows.

Daniel is given depth detail about this fourth beast.

23Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. 24And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. 25And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. 26But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth. Here the bible says there shall only be four (4) beasts; fourth kingdom of great beasts upon the earth. This fourth beast has ten horns or ten kings that will arise out of its kingdom. Three of these horns will be removed and replaced by another horn, a little horn. All of this takes place within or on the kingdom of the (fourth) beast.

This little horn as the bible says, shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. Again, these three kings are within the kingdom of the fourth beast.

The fourth beast is self-depended, but the horns depends upon the beast.  The little horn the bible describes as such:

• that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows.
  • And he shall speak great words against the most High
  • and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and
  • think to change times and laws:
  • and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

The question remains, does the horn become the beast that it grows out of or does it use the beast to accomplish these goals.

What is the historical relationship the little horn and the beast?  Mr. Cox says the beast (the dragon; i.e. Pagan Rome) gave it power and seat of authority to Papal Rome. In Revelation 17 we read that this relationship is somewhat of a mystery.

…I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

Obviously, this beast has to be the fourth great beast, this beast has seven (7) heads and ten (10) horns, We are viewing this beast before the three horn are removed.

In Revelation 13 however, we do witness how events transpires.

3And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. 4And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

One of the heads of the great beast, the fourth was wounded and healed. It was the great red dragon, Satan the devil who gave his world authority and power to the beast. Obviously, this beast is powerful, one dare to make war with it.

Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? History clearly tells of the mighty power of the Roman Empire.

5And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. 6And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

The subject here is the beast. There was given unto him (the beast) a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies. This mouth is the moth of the little horn, it’s the only figure having such a voice.

and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings. 25And he shall speak great words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

The little horn doesn’t become the great beast, but it become a very vocal part of this power. The beast was also given a period to continue.

and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

The little horn will continue as the beast itself continues.

6And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

The mouth as been shown it the mouth of the little horn.

And he (the beast) opened his mouth (the little horn) in blasphemy against God…

This relationship is now complete. The ancient Roman empire (the beast) received a deadly wound (the fall of the Roman empire) which healed. After this, the Roman church; the papacy became a fixture of that empire, The Roman empire continued and it would continue through the Holy Roman empire which is know to be an extension of the Roman empire. During this time the woman would sat upon the Roman empire beast through seven successive heads out of that kingdom, as the bible tell us.

Now, there is another beast that was to come out of this system. It two horn like a lamb but will speak as a dragon. This beast is the little horn, it exercised all the power of the beast before.

15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Force worship was employed by this many were executed. The image of the beast was itself; the false Christian church, it was the extension of the Roman empire.

Take a look at what had to happen, and who the seventh king and kingdom is, it must satisfy the following requirements:

The timeline – It must appear on earth sometime after the sixth kingdom (Rome), and yet sometime before the eighth kingdom (the last before Christ coming).

Activity – Like all of the other kingdoms on this list, it must dominate and persecute God’s people (either Israel, or spiritual Israel which are those grafted in, Christians).

Type – It must be arguably describable as a religious kingdom as it says blasphemy or that it has the power and authority of God, promoting idolatry among other evil intents.

Significance – As with the other kingdoms, it should alter the course of history in a manner that fulfills Biblical prophecy, in terms of the people and nations of the world.

So if you look closely, there is only one power in all history that meets the description given here. In other words, God closes every other option, and forces us to the only possible conclusion: the Catholic Church alone fulfills all the points of identity established.

From the Roman Empire comes this entity and it is the same one that comes as the little horn in Daniel. The details of the visions of the little horn of Daniel 7 and the first beast of Revelation 13 reveal they are the same.

Daniel 7:21-22 King James Version (KJV)
21 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;
22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.

Revelation 13:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

We see it also in Revelation 11:
Revelation 11:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Notice also that the beast and the little horn rule for the same period of time: 

Daniel 7:25 King James Version (KJV)
25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Revelation 13:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

The 1260 years of the Dark Ages, compare 'time, times, and dividing of time','forty and two months'.

The four beasts of Daniel have a total of 7 heads and also has 'ten horns'.

Daniel 7:4-7 King James Version (KJV)
4 The first was like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.
5 And behold another beast, a second, like to a bear, and it raised up itself on one side, and it had three ribs in the mouth of it between the teeth of it: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh.
6 After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard, which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl; the beast had also four heads; and dominion was given to it.
7 After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns.

Which show up in Revelation:

Revelation 13:1 ...'And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.'

Revelation 17:3 ...'So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.'

It gets its power from the dragon who is Satan himself:

Revelation 12:3-9 King James Version (KJV)
3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 17 describes and gives us a glimpse of what Babylon will be like. Using prophetic language, it describes a woman who rejects God with her whole being:

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Revelation 17:4-5).

The woman that rides the Beast has all the identifying features of who is this entity. In the Bible, a woman represents a church:

"I have likened the daughter of Zion to a comely and delicate woman" (Jeremiah 6:2).

Isaiah the prophet extends the symbol of a woman to that of a bride. The pure bride represents the pure Church:

"For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee" (Isaiah 62:5).

Hosea describes the union of God and His people:

"And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies" (Hosea 2:19).

The same symbolism is employed in the New Testament:

"...for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:2)

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish" (Ephesians 5:25-27).

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready" (Revelation 19:7).

Paul writes the church at Corinth, "Oh, that you would bear with me in a little folly; and indeed you do bear with me. For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ (2 Corinthians 11:1-2)." Clearly, the true church is here described as "betrothed" to Jesus Christ (in the position of an engaged woman to her fiancé who is Jesus Christ).

Now look at Acts 7:37-38

37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

Then in Revelation 12:1-5, we read the account of the "woman"—this time ancient Israel, the "church in the wilderness" being used by God to bring forth the Messiah, "a male child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron."

It then in verse 5 tells the story about "the woman"—now after Christ ascended we see the true church—fleeing into the wilderness to "a place prepared by God." This is for the time, and times, and half a time or 1260 years of the Dark Ages, and as you read through the verses after that, its even more evident that this "woman" is, in fact, the true church that is protected by God Himself from the wrath of Satan.

So when we come to the "woman" of Revelation 17, it should be very obvious that (letting the Bible interpret its own symbols) this woman is indeed a church. However, this church, "sitting on a scarlet beast" is full of fornication which affects the "inhabitants of the earth" and truly a spiritual "harlot."

There is the only one church on earth that fulfills these identifiers of the woman called Babylon in Revelation 17. The description of Babylon given in the book of Revelation clearly identifies Babylon as this antichrist power that persecuted the true believers and has let corruption in and has reached across the world. Because of this church's deviations from the Bible, the Protestants of the Reformation and after, referred to the Roman Catholic Church, as spiritual Babylon.

Now this is interesting...
"Here is how Pagan Rome was converted to Papal Rome:

Roman Empire (Imperium Romanum) renamed: Roman Catholic Church

Curia (legal body of Senators) slight name change: Curia (legal body of Cardinals)

Roman Emperor renamed: Roman Pope (head of all church and state affairs)

Civil government matters of state: Extra-Ordinary affairs (matters of civil-state governments)

Religious orders matters: Church “ecclesiastical” matters

Roman College of Senators renamed: College of Cardinals

Magistrate of College of Senators renamed: Dean of College of Cardinals

Departments of the Roman Senatorial Curia renamed: Congregations

Political Ambassador renamed: Pro-Nuncio (highest civil ambassador sent to other governments, ie Washington DC, London etc)

......Roman Senators renamed: Cardinals

Roman Governors renamed: Archbishops

Roman Senator with no territory: Bishop (Code of Canon Law 376)

(Large) Roman Province renamed: Archdiocese

(Small) Roman Territory renamed: Diocese

Imperial Chair of Jupiter where Caesar sat renamed: Throne of St. Peter

Vestal Virgins renamed: Nuns

Pontifex Maximus (high priest of College of Senators) renamed: Supreme Pontiff of College of Cardinals

Pontiff or “high priest ” of a pagan religious order (Zues, Apollo, Diana, Mars, Jupiter, Baal, Dionysys, Pythia etc) same name: Pontiff

A Pontiff (Latin: “pontifex”) means bridge-builder or priest between man and the gods of the underworld.

The Roman Calendar and Holy Days of the gods renamed: Calendar Holidays of the Saints

Voice of the gods speaking through Caesar: Ex-Cathedra: Voice of God speaking through Pope

Meeting of the Pontiffs (high priests) of the pagan religious orders renamed: Ecumenical Council of the Bishops

Legal act of creating a god (of a living or dead human, as was done to most of the Caesars) “Apotheosis of the Gods” renamed: Canonization of the Saints

A decree of Caesar (dictator for life): Pope’s infallible Dogma

Praying to a dead human god renamed: Praying to a saint"

If we compare history and scripture, you can find what prophecy Bible Scholars agree on and if you look the Reformation held. Now the inevitable conclusion of those know their history and who studied these prophesies in scripture, before and during the Protestant Reformation, was that there was only one entity that fit all the above characteristics of what came out of the Roman Empire, the papal dynasty of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catholic Church was so violently opposed to the scriptures being available for everyone to read for themselves, and banned anyone having Bibles and burned any books that pointed out who was the Antichrist. There was such a challenge by the Reformation that the church resorted to strictly forbidding anyone to publish a book without prior censorship, and also prohibited anyone from preaching on the subject of antichrist:

SESSION 10, 4 May 1515, On censorship of books:

... "some printers have the boldness to print and sell to the public, in different parts of the world, books — some translated into Latin from Greek, Hebrew, Arabic and Chaldean as well as some issued directly in Latin or a vernacular language — containing errors opposed to the faith as well as pernicious views contrary to the Christian religion and to the reputation of prominent persons of rank. The readers are not edified. Indeed, they lapse into very great errors not only in the realm of faith but also in that of life and morals. This has often given rise to various scandals, as experience has taught, and there is daily the fear that even greater scandals are developing." ...

... "We therefore establish and ordain that henceforth, for all future time, no one may dare to print or have printed any book or other writing of whatever kind in Rome or in any other cities and dioceses, without the book or writings having first been closely examined, at Rome by our vicar and the master of the sacred palace, in other cities and dioceses by the bishop or some other person who knows about the printing of books and writings of this kind and who has been delegated to this office by the bishop in question, and also by the inquisitor of heresy for the city or diocese where the said printing is to take place, and unless the books or writings have been approved by a warrant signed in their own hand, which must be given, under pain of excommunication, freely and without delay."
"In addition to the printed books being seized and publicly burnt, payment of a hundred ducats to the fabric of the basilica of the prince of the apostles in Rome, without hope of relief, and suspension for a whole year from the possibility of engaging in printing, there is to be imposed upon anyone presuming to act otherwise the sentence of excommunication." ...

SESSION 11, 19 December 1516, On how to preach:

... "We command all who undertake this task of preaching, or will later undertake it, to preach and expound the gospel truth and holy scripture in accordance with the exposition, interpretation and commentaries that the church or long use has approved and has accepted for teaching until now, and will accept in the future, without any addition contrary to its true meaning or in conflict with it. They are always to insist on the meanings which are in harmony with the words of sacred scripture and with the interpretations, properly and wisely understood, of the doctors mentioned above. They are in no way to presume to preach or declare a fixed time for future evils, the coming of antichrist or the precise day of judgment; for Truth says, it is not for us to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority. Let it be known that those who have hitherto dared to declare such things are liars, and that because of them not a little authority has been taken away from those who preach the truth." ...

But the Catholic Church eventually came to the conclusion that it would not be able to ban or burn all the Bibles, heretical books, and heretics that possessed or preached from them. This oppressive and crude tactic merely confirmed their identification as the harlot persecuting church of prophecy. A new and more subtle approach was needed in order to effectively counter the application of apocalyptic prophecy to the Catholic Church.

So they came out with the Preterist and Futurist interpretation to cover themselves...

One major identifying characteristic the Catholic Church needed to deal with was the time period of 1260 years that the antichrist power was to rule, according to Protestantism's Historicist interpretation. There simply is only one entity on earth that has ruled for this length of time after the fall of pagan Rome, and that is the Roman Catholic Church.

Here is from Wikipedia where I am a author and it is straightforward:

'One of the most influential aspects of the early Protestant historicist paradigm was the assertion that scriptural identifiers of the Antichrist where matched only by the institution of the Papacy. Particular significance and concern were the Papal claims of authority over both the Church, through Apostolic succession, and the State, through the Divine right of Kings. When the Papacy aspires to exercise authority beyond its religious realm into civil affairs, on account of the Papal claim to be the Vicar of Christ, then the institution was fulfilling the more perilous biblical indicators of the Antichrist. Martin Luther wrote this view, which was not novel, into the Smalcald Articles of 1537. It was then widely popularized in the 16th century, via sermons, drama, books, and broadside publication. The alternate methods of prophetic interpretation, Futurism and Preterism were derived from Jesuit writings, whose counter reformation efforts were aimed at opposing this interpretation that the Antichrist was the Papacy or the power of the Roman Catholic Church

Protestant Reformers, including John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Thomas Cranmer, John Thomas, John Knox, Roger Williams, Cotton Mather, Jonathan Edwards, and John Wesley, as well as most Protestants of the 16th–18th centuries, felt that the Early Church had been led into the Great Apostasy by the Papacy and identified the Pope with the Antichrist. The Centuriators of Magdeburg, a group of Lutheran scholars in Magdeburg headed by Matthias Flacius, wrote the 12-volume Magdeburg Centuries to discredit the Catholic Church and lead other Christians to recognize the Pope as the Antichrist. So, rather than expecting a single Antichrist to rule the earth during a future Tribulation period, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other Protestant Reformers saw the Antichrist as a present feature in the world of their time, fulfilled in the Papacy. '

Now in order to counter this view that the papacy was the Antichrist power it the church turned to the Jesuits who were summoned to counter the reformers' teachings, and here two Jesuit scholars stand out in particular. They are Ribera and Alcasar, and they developed the Futurist and Preterist systems of prophetic interpretation.

Spanish Jesuit Francisco Ribera published a commentary on the book of Revelation which proposed that the bulk of the prophecies would be fulfilled in a brief three-and-one-half-year period at the end of the Christian era. In that short space antichrist (a single individual, according to Ribera) would rebuild the Jerusalem Temple, deny Christ, abolish Christianity, be received by the Jews, pretend to be god, and conquer the world. Thus the Protestant contention that the apocalyptic symbols of antichrist denoted an apostate religious system was countered, and the focus of the prophecies was diverted from the present to the far distant future.

Spanish Jesuit, Luis de Alcazar also published a scholarly work on Revelation, to refute the Protestant Reformation on the Antichrist power. Alcazar's thesis, the opposite of Ribera's, was that all the prophecies of Revelation had been fulfilled in the past, that is, by the fifth and sixth centuries A.D., the early centuries of Christianity. He asserted that this prophetic book simply described a two-fold war by the church-its victory over the Jewish synagogue on the one hand (chaps. 1-11) and Roman paganism on the other (chaps. 12-19). Chapters 21, 22 Alcazar applied to the Roman Catholic Church as the New Jerusalem, glorious and triumphant. His writings were developed into a system of interpretation known as preterism.

Over time these specific systems of counter interpretations of the Antichrist spread and began to penetrate Protestant thought. Preterism was the first; it began to enter Protestantism in the late eighteenth century. Preterist interpretations of the prophecies have today become the standard view of liberal Protestantism.

The ideas of futurism, although refuted at first, eventually spread into Protestantism during the nineteenth century. Futurism, is currently followed in some form by most conservative Protestant bodies. Thus both spectrum of the Protestant denominations has picked up this counter reformation view set about to change the views of the papacy as the Antichrist power that was from the Reformers.

The false doctrine as you can see, basically are to put aside the Reformers view of the Antichrist. Preterist interpretation puts all prophecy pertaining to the Antichrist into the past so it is long gone, and the Futurist interpretation puts them into the future so the papacy could claim it was not this power. 

Now as to the 1260 years here are some reading from Catholic writers...

"And now that the temporal power of the Roman Pontiffs belongs to the past, that the head of the Church must under heaven depend for its maintenance upon the generosity of his spiritual children throughout the world, that a usurper holds the throne from which the Pope ruled for a thousand years, while its rightful owner is a prisoner in his own city, it will be of interest from many points of view to review what Roman people and Rome were like before 1870 and what they are to-day.

Long ages ago, when Rome through the neglect of the Western emperors was left to the mercy of barbarous hordes, Romans turned to one figure for aid and protection and asked him to rule them; and thus in this simple manner, the best title of all to kingly right, commenced the temporal sovereignty of the Popes. And meekly stepping to the throne of Caesar, the Vicar of Christ took up the sceptre to which the emperors and kings of Europe were to bow in reverence through so many ages, from sentiments of respect for the dignity of his office and because he was the only mediator whom they recognized in their almost interminable wars."(Two Romes, by James P. Conry, in The American Catholic Quarterly Review, Volume XXXVI, pg 193,194)

"... the right to her Temporal Sovereignty is an integral right of the Church as constituted by her Divine Founder. It has prevailed de facto for more than twelve hundred years, and has been possessed de jure by Divine Natural Law from the beginning of Christianity, ..."
(The Victories of Rome and the Temporal Monarchy of the Church, 5th edition, By Kenelm Digby Best, London, 1906, pg. xii.)

Now here they are a bit more direct...

"... In books of all sizes, and from the pulpit of every church, we have been taught from our infancy, that the "beast, the man of sin, and the scarlet whore," mentioned in the Revelations, were names which God himself had given to the Pope; and we have all been taught to believe of the Catholic Church, that her worship was "idolatrous," and that her doctrines were "damnable."

10. Now let us put a plain question or two to ourselves, and to these our readers; and we shall quickly be able to form a just estimate of the modesty, sincerity, and consistency of these revilers of the Catholic religion: ―they will not, because they cannot, deny, that this religion was the ONLY CHRISTIAN religion in the world for fifteen hundred years after the death of Christ. They may say, indeed, that for the first three hundred years there was no Pope seated at Rome. But, then, for twelve hundred years there had been; and, during that period, all the nations of Europe, and some part of America, had become Christian, and all acknowledged the Pope as their head in religious matters; and, in short, there was no other Christian Church known in the world, nor had any other ever been thought of. Can we believe, then, that Christ, who died to save sinners, who sent forth his gospel as the means of their salvation, would have suffered a false Christian religion, and no other than a false Christian religion, to be known amongst men all this while? Will these modest assailants of the faith of their and our ancestors assert to our faces, that, for twelve hundred years at least, there were no true Christians in the world? Will they tell us, that Christ, who promised to be with the teachers of his word to the end of the world, wholly left them, and gave up hundreds upon hundreds of millions of people to be led in darkness to their eternal perdition, by one whom his inspired followers had denominated the "man of sin, and the scarlet whore"? Will they, indeed, dare to tell us, that Christ gave up the world wholly to "Antichrist" for twelve hundred years?
(History of the Protestant Reformation in England and Ireland, Showing How That Event Has Impoverished and Degraded the Main Body of the People in Those Countries, by William Cobbett, published in 1832 in New York by John Doyle, 12 Liberty-street; and Thomas Doyle, Market-street, Providence R.I., pages 6 and 7)

Thanks Richard,

Reading what the bible says, this should become clear.

11And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 12And he exercised all the power of the first beast before him, and caused the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13And he doeth great wonders, so that he makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14And deceived them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

The image is a replica of the first beast, it says,

And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Isn’t this exactly what was done? The false church is the image of the beast and it gave power to that image, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Clearly, Gene, you are not happy with Pr. Cox interpretation and here you come up with your own suiting your paradigm a little better. Not unlike King Necubadnedzar who was not too pleased with the many mineral image Daniel presented to him. And therefore set up an image made of pure Gold from top to bottom. And in an effort to legitimize the image he had everyone to bow and worship it. 

I will not bow to your image because it is nowhere near any SDA interpretation. If you search this site you will find several threads on the subject. 

This is not true Elijah, it’s not about like or dislike.

It is obvious by what Pr. Cox is saying that he’s interjecting false interpretation of the scriptures and this should also give you pause to what is being spoken. Actually, it’s somewhat confusing to me. He literally makes the dragon “Pagan” Rome, he tells the listeners that the little horn and the beast of Revelation 13 are the same power. If this is so, who’s the beast in Revelation 17, is this an entirely new beast? Also, if the woman is the papacy who is also the little horn and the beast in Revelation 13 who also sits upon the beast having seven heads in Revelation 17, how then is it the fifth head?

Yes, brother Gene, I know the WWCOG has a different view and you are not prepared for another. Rev 13 and 17 are dealing with the same entity. they only appear in different forms. Anyway to understand the whole series you may need to see the previous series. "Give me the Bible Five have fallen." When you have seen those two series you will either accept his interpretation or reject it as you seem to do. 

https://www.kennethcoxministries.org/page/2/?s=Give+me+the+Bible&am... 

Thanks Elijah,this is bible study. I'm going to do a deep dive into this, but here's some observation.

Pr. Kenneth Cox list the five has fallen as such:

1. Babylon
    2. Medo-Persia
    3. Greece
    4. Pagan Rome
    5. Papal Rome

Pagan and Papal Rome are interjected. Also we should look at what the bible says in relation to the five that has fallen.

9Here is the mind that has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains, whereon the woman sits. 10And there are seven kings: five have fallen…

Pr. Cox refers to these as beast, this too is also misleading and takes away the truth of the scriptures which is exclaimed in verse seven (7).

7And the angel said to me, Why hast thou wondered? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast which carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns.

It should be noted that the bible only references the one beast which is the one that carries the woman.

Pr. Cox list Babylon, Medo-Persia and Greece in the five that has fallen. But the bible says,

9Here is the mind that has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains, whereon the woman sits.

The woman sits over the seven heads, which means the heads only exist when the woman is sitting upon the beast. If the woman is the false Christian church, then it becomes clear that those kingdoms are not of the five that are fallen.

The prophet Daniel does state that there are four (4) great beast shall arise in the earth, they are of those four, but not of those on which the woman sits.

Daniel 7: 17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, [that] shall arise out of the earth.

Four great beasts were to arise out of the earth. But The seven heads are seven mountains, whereon the woman sits.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service