Adventist Online

Pork by product in swine flu vaccine

Updated: Thursday, 15 Oct 2009, 7:27 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 15 Oct 2009, 5:34 PM EDT

* By TOM JOHNSON | FOX 35 News

FOX 35 has discovered that the H1N1, swine flu vaccine contains an ingredient that raises questions whether its use is permissible under certain religious, dietary laws. The Jewish, Muslim and Seventh-Day Adventist faiths all forbid members from consuming pork. The ban is based on scripture.

FOX 35 found that the swine flu mist and injectable vaccine both contain something called hydrolyzed porcine gelatin. The Centers for Disease Control confirms that the ingredient is a pork by-product used to promote temperature stability… and allow for refrigerated storage.

Rabbi David Kay presides over Orlandos Congregation Ohev Shalom. Rabbi Kay says the gelatins existence in the swine flu shot is not a problem under Jewish, Kosher laws since it is injected and not swallowed. However, Kay says the issue is a little more complex with the mist. Because the mist is taken through the nasal passages, there is a chance some vaccine could drip into the throat and be consumed. The Rabbi says while it is not technically being eaten, some may have objections due to the presence of the hydrolyzed porcine gelatin. Kay further says that when the preservation of human life is at issue, Kosher laws do not apply anyway and this would seem to be the case with the vaccine.

The Florida Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists tells FOX 35 they do not consider receiving the vaccine in any form to violate restrictions against consuming pork since it is not eaten. The Orlando based conference also believes the possibility that the vaccine could save a life outweighs any possible objections based on religious doctrine.

FOX 35 also contacted the national headquarters of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. A spokesperson told us by phone that they were unaware of the presence of hydrolyzed porcine gelatin in the swine flu vaccine and will need to investigate further before commenting..

Everyone we spoke with believes that despite the fact that the swine flu vaccine does not technically violate dietary laws, some people will still avoid being inoculated with it based on religious objections.

Views: 616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This inquiry is slightly far from this topic but anyway I hate starting another another topic:

Do you agree that this "swine flu epidemic" is a deliberate human invention and that there is a conspiracy of some groups to create this disease as some people are telling me. I have read the illustrated documentary magazine "The Godfather and 2 other works of the same author (Riviera) 12 years ago and I am convinced that wars, drugs, sex slavery and diseases are delibrate human creations to sustains some powerful organizations' ambitions.

Is it a myth? or a fact? or I am just trying to believe tell tales?
Basing truth upon fictions is problematic at best. Our minds get led in all kinds of different directions. Its more important to relate these crimes to its foundation in sin, and the devils agenda to destroy us through his human agents. Whether its myth or fact appears to be irrelevant in the overview of the Great Controversy between Christ and Satan, and how that relates to us personally.

It is how we deal with the sin in our own lives that takes paramount importance. Then as we are converted, how do we relate an increasingly wicked world to our walk with Christ?

So we can get distracted upon events that have little bearing on the great question. "What must I do to be saved?"

We only overcome sin by the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ.

John 1:29 The next day John sees Jesus coming to him, and said, "Behold the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world!"

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah, and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some, in order to further his own designs; and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them.
{CH 460.2}
While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. "The earth mourneth and fadeth away," "The haughty people . . . do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." Isaiah 24:4, 5. {CH 461.1}
First of all, who gave the Orlando conference the authority to speak for the church?!!!! This is a pompous and non-Scriptural answer. The Adventist church was not represented. We believe in Scripture and the Scripture is clear that pork should not enter our bodies period. What a shameful answer which shows they are following the status quo like the sheeple that htey are. Shame on you Orlando Conference!!!! We should have faith that God would protect us as long as we follow His clear direction in Scripture.
It's the Florida Conference... :\

And it's not pork. It's derived from pork. And I don't see anything in the Bible about injecting a chemical derived from a pig into your blood.
Do you have a leather Bible? Do you treat your Bible like a dead animal?

It says don't eat or touch pigs. It says nothing about chemicals derived from them. I can't see how isolated chemicals that happen to be derived from pigs can be harmful to one's health.
I wasn't arguing, I was just answering your question with my view on the subject.
It's fine. I'm not mad or anything. :D
No, it's still derived from a pig, but it's certainly not a pig or even "meat". Which is why I don't get extremely worried about eating gelatin. It's a chemical.
It would be good to post some texts:

Lev.11:7, 8 "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you."

Deut.14:8 "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it [is] unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase."

The Bible says not to touch the dead body of a pig or eat pig meat. That's all.

How does that stop one from taking the vaccine?

Although, to be transparent, personally I would not take the vaccine but that is to do with the theory behind how vaccines are supposed to work rather than any idea that God will condemn me over it. I think this discussion is majoring in minors.

Also, for the record, I have often said that if I was marooned on a desert island with a pig... eventually, if the Lord provides nothing else, then that pig is going to be in my belly. Although I do trust God to provide me with something clean to eat as an alternative if all He has given me is a pig then... bye-bye, piggy!
Three Thumbs UP.
Many years ago, I had a pastor who, on mission trips, said that he ate whatever was put before him by the people he visited, and gave thanks, not asking questions.

Once, he was on a river and his group was hungry. Suddenly, there were fish jumping INTO the boat. Breakfast - with no questions asked. Lol!
The cigarette is still a cigarette, but the nicotine isn't.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service